Would you trade Fitz for ....

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I hate this thread. It's the offseason and I really want to be psyched and hopeful and optimistic and all of that. I want to have faith in Fitz and be supportive of him. That being said, I will add one observation to this discussion. As a lifelong Bills fan (born and raised in Rochester) who has been transplanted to Southern California, I have seen enough of that whining, pouty, sourpuss Phillip Rivers to know that despite his athletic ability, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Bills. Year after year, the pundits tell us what a great, elite quarterback he is. And, year after year, we watch the Chargers, loaded with talent, spend half their season absolutely floundering. I couldn't care less how good his numbers are. I watch every Bills game. If I had to endure his bitchy tantrums every week in a Bills uniform, I would shoot my television.

Brady yes

Sanchez no

Tannehill NO

Weeden NO

Flacco NO

Big Ben NO

Dalton yes

Schaub NO

Luck NO

Hasselback no

Gabbert no

Manning NO

Palmer NO

Rivers yes

Cassell NO

3 yes the rest NO

Wake up

Brady yes

Sanchez no

Tanneyhill no

Weeden no

Flacco no

Big Ben yes

Dalton no

Schaub are we playing fantasy or real NFL fantasy I would trade him - real NFL no

Luck no

Hasselback god no

Gabbert no

Manning yes

Rivers no

Cassell no

No to Luck? I'd walk back to 14127 if I had to if he was in. That would be the most anticipated season in Bills history.

Brady no "35 years old in august and hasn't impressed in the recent playoff games showing signs of slowing down, confident he will quickly regress"

Sanchez no "holmes and burress know a joke when they see one"

Tannehill no "how do you say....1 year wonder?"

Weeden no "born in 1983, months younger than Fitz, unproven and a rookie, i'll pass"

Flacco no "plays with a great defense, has top running back, wideout"

Big Ben yes "9 months older than Fitz but more accurate and stronger armed, great cold weather QB"

Dalton no "how much was this attributable to the great AJ Green & dynamic TE Gresham?

Schaub no "injury prone and is surrounded by weapons like Foster, Johnson & Daniels"

Luck yes "sign me up for a decade"

Hasselback no "Bald & old."

Gabbert no "if 2011 is 1/2 of what he can be, i'll pass"

Manning no "36 years old and counting, neck is a huge concern imo"

Palmer no "lacks fire needed to lead a true contender"

Rivers yes "31 years old & immobile, but deadly accurate and tough - played with an acl in a playoff game"

Cassell no "new england should be getting 1/2 his salary because this guy is robbing KC"

Edited by BiggieScooby

Interesting exercise. I answered independent of how much of the farm we'd have to sell off in addition to Fitz, to make the trade.

Brady yes

Sanchez no

Tannehill yes (Seriously? The guy's played what, 16 games? No)

Weeden yes (Looks good, but unproven, and coming very late to the game. He's almost Fitz's age, isn't he? No thanks).

Flacco yes (He's had the good luck to play with a strong team his whole 4 year career. Very similar to Fitz in completions and YPA. Not a game changer or top franchise player IMO)

Big Ben yes

Dalton yes (He looked very good for a rook)

Schaub yes

Luck yes

Hasselback no

Gabbert no

Manning yes

Palmer yes (PALMER? SERIOUSLY? C'mon man)

Rivers yes (Maybe - but I'd like to know if I'm getting 2010 Rivers or 2011 Rivers. He was #2 in the AFC in picks last year with 20. I lean towards no).

Cassell no

I've got ....

11 yes

4 no

I've got 6 yes, 7 no, and 1 "maybe" which seems more consistent with Fitz' position in the "pack" of NFL QB overall

A big part of the difference is the willingness to trade a proven NFL starter for an unproven rookie of limited game experience or advanced age.

Well that, and the puzzling adoration of Carson Palmer and (somewhat more understandably) Joe Flacco.

(Yes to Carson Palmer) Had to give it some thought, but yes I would , throws a better ball

There's more to QB than throwing a better ball

Schaub is just like fitz so I'd say no to him.... Neither 1 is elite only difference is Matt is surrounded by talent so he looks better.

I would love Fitz to have a 5 year completion percentage of >65%, throw 7.7 YPA, and throw almost 2x as many TDs as interception.

He doesn't.

Schaub does.

Seriously - He's an underrated QB in the game today. If he's healthy and their D stays at a high quality, the Texans go deep into the playoffs.

Edited by Hopeful

Locker room comaraderie means a lot to this team. At the start of last season (through week 6 or 7) I wouldn't trade him for any other QB - with injured ribs, certainly a trade would be inviting....but I'm sticking with Fitz for now...bringing Brady, Manning or another premiere QB could rock the boat. If Fitz is anything, he is a respected leader for these other youngsters and veterans alike.

All that respect must come from winning 1 of the last 8 games of the season, right? We should probably keep that going. A premiere QB would destroy what look half a season to build.

"NO" to Dalton and Schaub? Explain please

Got this, Schaubs team did just as well no matter who they plugged in. He is not and never did carry the team, it is questionable if he is better.

Dalton is not clearly better either.

I agree with the list above.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I actually like Fitz a lot. I think 80% of QB play is coaching and surrounding talent. A QB in a terrible/wrong system without the right surrounding talent will fail 80% of the time even if he has a lot of talent. Fitz to me is a guy who can work within the right system (I think Chan's system is the right one for him) and play really well with the right surrounding talent.

Now do we have the right surrounding talent? I think we might be a piece or two away from that but we are good enough to where we can have success with Fitz.

Look at the 49ers Alex Smith. Dude was floundering under the wrong coaching and early on in his career he didn't have the best talent around him. The talent was amassed and last year the right coaching was in place and he did well and the team won.

All in all I think Fitz can win but this year will show if you or me is right. Fitz has enough in place to be successful.

:thumbsup:

Its threads like this with myopic fans that only see the QB and nothing else, and think the team can't win unless they have that "franchise" guy. The 49ers and Alex Smith are the perfect argument against that singular thought about only the QB. Its a team game, and even HoF great John Elway states the QB is only as good as the players around him.

Fans forget what the Bills did the first half of last season!

Now imagine that same offense with a better LT, and a speedy WR opposite SJ. Now imagine a totally different defense with an actual pass rush. Opposing QB's won't have 5-10 seconds to get the ball out now. It had better be out in 3 seconds or its a sack! The offense will get more chances to be on the field this year, and the defense won't be on the field all game long.

There are like 5 players on that list I'd trade Fitz for and 2 are almost over the hill.

"NO" to Dalton and Schaub? Explain please

Dalton was a rookie who had amazing chemistry with potentially the best WR in football. I see the NFL figuring out how to stop the Dalton/Green connection, or at least slow it down. Dalton had a sensational rookie year, but I'm not sold on him just yet.

Schaub is hot and cold (just like Fitz). In order to replace Fitz, I would want a consistent player. In addition, Schaub is throwing to the best WR in football.

Fitz played lights out during the first half of the year... the his line got injured, his safety valve got injured (Jackson), and he messed up his ribs. Give him a healthy line, a healthy Jackson and healthy ribs and I would take him over both Dalton and Schaub.

Manning yes

RG3 NO

Romo NO

Vick NO

Freeman no

Newton yes

Ryan yes

Brees yes

Cutler NO

Rodgers yes

Stafford yes

Ponder no

Kolb no

Smith no

Bradford yes

Flynn NO

I've got ...

7 yes

9 no

RG3 is unproven, but if he shows he can adjust to the NFL like Cam Newton, it is an obvious "yes".

Romo is not clutch, I say we lose the Raiders game last year if he was the QB.

Vick is close to being done (yes I said it), I would be shocked if he is better than average this year. A replacement for Fitz better be around for more than three years.

Cutler would cry and complain as soon as a losing streak occurs (and it will occur). Fitz will be calm and ride out the storm. I would say Cutler has the better skill set though, but not by much.

Matt Flynn was a product of his system. He is vastly overrated and will not be a starter in two years, if that.

1336294538[/url]' post='2459285']

Manning yes

RG3 NO

Romo NO

Vick NO

Freeman no

Newton yes

Ryan yes

Brees yes

Cutler NO

Rodgers yes

Stafford yes

Ponder no

Kolb no

Smith no

Bradford yes

Flynn NO

I've got ...

7 yes

9 no

RG3 is unproven, but if he shows he can adjust to the NFL like Cam Newton, it is an obvious "yes".

Romo is not clutch, I say we lose the Raiders game last year if he was the QB.

Vick is close to being done (yes I said it), I would be shocked if he is better than average this year. A replacement for Fitz better be around for more than three years.

Cutler would cry and complain as soon as a losing streak occurs (and it will occur). Fitz will be calm and ride out the storm. I would say Cutler has the better skill set though, but not by much.

Matt Flynn was a product of his system. He is vastly overrated and will not be a starter in two years, if that.

And we would have won the Giants game if romo was our qb. We would have won the Dallas game, Because the cowboys would've had fitz. You act as is fitz is some huge 4th qtr qb because he beat one of the worst secondaries in football. Romo has had his share of issues in the clutch, but has won more games in the 2nd half than fitz has WINS. You're a complete fitz homer. Romo is a much better qb than fitz. No to rg3? Lol. Cutler has more skill...."but not by much? Come on guy, seriously? sure, rg3 hasn't done anything. Fitz has been in the league for 7 years......and hasnt done anything.....except grow a big beard that makes him look like a leprechaun. He's sooooo awesome.

I like Ryan Fitzpatrick. I really do. It's the blind fitz homers that will continue to make outrageous statements in order to boost his "status" (and even discount other players that are OBVIOUSLY superior) To date, fitz is a poor- average qb. The talent around him has been poor. His play has been poor. Maybe the homers are qb gurus and can see th Inge that others can't see. Yeah....that's it.

Edited by NewEra

Manning yes

RG3 yes

Romo yes

Vick yes

Freeman no

Newton yes

Ryan yes

Brees yes

Cutler yes

Rodgers yes

Stafford yes

Ponder no

Kolb no

Smith no

Bradford yes

Flynn yes

I've got ...

12 yes

4 no

Overall NFL, I've got ....

23 yes

8 no

Hell no On Romo or Vick

Brady yes

Sanchez no

Tannehill yes

Weeden yes

Flacco yes

Big Ben yes

Dalton yes

Schaub yes

Luck yes

Hasselback no

Gabbert no

Manning yes

Palmer yes

Rivers yes

Cassell no

I've got ....

11 yes

4 no

I gotta agree with where you are going with this and the NFC thread. Bottom line Gailey hitched his wagon to a bad horse that is extremely limited.

Again, answering independent of how much of the farm would need to be sold off.

I think the major difference is you're all willing to bet the farm on unproven rookies or guys who've been playing a while and haven't shown a durn thing.

Fitz is bad because he didn't carry the team to victory - but other guys who came into the NFL with talent and have carried their teams to a peckload of losses are much better?

I don't get it.

Manning yes

RG3 yes

Romo yes

Vick yes (NO. Just...NO)

Freeman no (Now this I don't get. You want every other QB who came into the league drafted high regardless of NFL record. Freeman has upside. Why not Freeman?)

Newton yes

Ryan yes

Brees yes

Cutler yes (No)

Rodgers yes

Stafford yes

Ponder no

Kolb no

Smith no

Bradford yes (No. He was a #1 draft choice and his team drafted 2nd in his 2nd year. Why was he sacked so many times? Is he struggling to make decisions at NFL speed?)

Flynn yes (No. What has he shown in the NFL that makes him better? One game? I can show you Fitz's first game. He lit it up.)

I've got ...

12 yes

4 no

Overall NFL, I've got ....

23 yes

8 no

Overall I've got 8 yes and 8 no, which again, is much more consistent with Fitz' actual position in the NFL rankings. He's a servicable NFL QB until he proves himself better.

Schaub can't make it thru a season healthy WTF would want him?

I tend to agree. Schuab has a ton of talent, but is constantly hurt.

I don't know how old you are, but he reminds me of a modern day Chris Chandler. And when Chandler played, qbs were not as protected as they are today by the rules.

I gotta agree with where you are going with this and the NFC thread. Bottom line Gailey hitched his wagon to a bad horse that is extremely limited.

Honestly when I started this I had no agenda nor clear idea how it would turn out. Was just curious. I would have guessed pretty much even between yes and no votes. But the nearly 2:1 ratio it came out at makes me realize just how much better QB talent around the league is.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack