Tim Graham back to sports desk at News

I think there is a BIG difference between being a reporter and a columnist. Sully is a columnist. His job is to spew opinion, not report news.

His role is to insight conversation and considering how controversial he is, I think he's doing a pretty good job.

But the conversations that he incites often are about him, rather than the subjects of his columns.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

persuasive

I think there is a BIG difference between being a reporter and a columnist. Sully is a columnist. His job is to spew opinion, not report news.

His role is to insight conversation and considering how controversial he is, I think he's doing a pretty good job.

Anybody can yell "Fire!" in a theater.

The best columnists use facts, reasoning and insights from other knowledgeable sources to educate the reader and be persuasive in their arguments. Sully does none of that. In fact he seems to constantly take the path of least resistance. Or, as I've said before, write like a drunk on a barstool.

I actually hope Tim Graham can work toward taking Sully's columnist role as he'd bring a working journalist vibe (a Larry Felser for this generation) to the role. That would be like an Oasis in the desert of mediocrity that now characterizes the BN's stable of columnists, sports desk or otherwise...

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of whatever "congratulations" I offered at the beginning of this thread, Graham is apparently VERY thin-skinned. I tried to start up an innocent Twitter conversation with him after the VY signing, and suggested the Bills' leaders in the locker room wouldn't stand for any foolishness. Graham responded with a snide remark about how those "leaders" didn't stop Stevie from celebrating in the end zone last season. When I responded that the situation is different and the players are clearly behind Fitz, Graham shot back with "ok then, you don't need my opinion." It was very odd, because I didn't attack or insist I was right. I don't get these guys.

Regardless of whatever "congratulations" I offered at the beginning of this thread, Graham is apparently VERY thin-skinned. I tried to start up an innocent Twitter conversation with him after the VY signing, and suggested the Bills' leaders in the locker room wouldn't stand for any foolishness. Graham responded with a snide remark about how those "leaders" didn't stop Stevie from celebrating in the end zone last season. When I responded that the situation is different and the players are clearly behind Fitz, Graham shot back with "ok then, you don't need my opinion." It was very odd, because I didn't attack or insist I was right. I don't get these guys.

I'm not addressing your communication with Graham as I am addressing in general internet and other types of twitter communication. Sometimes the tone and intention of the communication isn't apparent to the person receiving the message. What you meant to say can be intrepreted much differently by the recipient. The problems associated with twitter types of communication are often a function of the overwhelming number of responses. It's not surprising that when a person gets a deluge of responses it can influence how that person responds to a particular communication.

I'm sure you have often observed on this Stadium Wall platform a person aggressively responding back to someone who had no intention of being confrontational. Sometimes it is due to miscommunication from both parties; and sometimes it is due to the other person being a jerk.