Mike Mularkey comments re third round pick

None of this alters that Graham is easy to separate from the football. Will be curious to see if anyone in Buffalo management addresses this and why they feel it is correctable.

Stick'em?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . They had been eyeing Angerer, and liked him a lot. They had traded away their 4th earlier, and weren't sure if he would still be there by the time they picked in the 5th. So voila, you have the pick.

Mularky mention he really got his start in the league and made a career at being a special teams coach. It is something he won't put by the wayside, and is making it his point to make the special teams in JAX one of the premier units in the league. . . .

Maybe they really liked Angerer, or maybe the special teams coach hosted a pre-draft fondue party:

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jun/28/sports/sp-fondue28

JAX has a history of freak kicker injuries, so maybe they just decided to stockpile punters:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1634325

Whether Graham was the player they wanted to take doesn't rationalize their taking a punter in the third round. The Jaguars are a bad team with a lot of needs. Selecting a punter at such a high point in the draft makes absolutely no sense. There are many good players on the board in the third round who could have been added to their depleted roster. If they coveted this particular punter they could have gotten him in the fifth round. If he wouuld have been picked by another team then so what? Maybe a case can be made for drafting a punter in the third round by a superior team that has all its needs met but is lacking a good punter who would help them get better field position. That situation certainly doesn't apply to the Jaguars who are a bottom feeding team.

Haw! Well, that, and a case could be made that Powell is considered a better prospect than Anger by some, and we picked him up as an UDFA. I agree with you completely, except...the Jags drafted their Franchise Guy last year so doesn't that fix everything?

As the original poster suggested most of the commentary by NFL analysts relating to Graham has been very positive. At first, because I never heard of Graham, I was a little bit confused and unsettled by his selection. The more that I find out about him the more I like that selection. Nix's instinct was probably right that Graham was subject to being taking before our pick came up. Instead of assuming that risk he was proactive and made the move to get him. I give him credit for making the small deal to get the player he had a conviction on.

I could be mistaken and often am, I'd bet that "instinct" had not much to do with it.Nix got the gouge on the Jags and he snookered 'em.

Edited by Hopeful

Great news. I didn't want him but now that I know someone else wanted him and we stole him I love him! :blink:

Somehow, if this rumor is true, then a team that panic picks a punter when they need a WR and there are plenty of small, fast WRs still on the board does little to inspire confidence. Wasn't Mularkey the guy that gave the green light to trading up for and drafting JP Losman based on the fact there wasn't any QBs in Aaron Rodgers draft class worth picking?

There is no doubt that Gabbert's first year was a disaster.

Someone posted a link earlier of him throwing the ball with his eyes closed.

Someone posted a link earlier of him throwing the ball with his eyes closed.

What's wrong with that? If you aren't completing passes with your eyes open isn't it reasonable to go to your next option? LOL

On a serious note smart organizations do their best to place their players in the best possible position to succeed. There is nothing unusual about a highly drafted player, especially a qb, who from the beginning can't handle the position. There is nothing wrong with sitting a young player and working to develop that player. Good organizations do it all the time.

There is a big difference with starting a rookie qb such as Ben Roethlisberger who is playing on a very good veteran team with a very good OL and running game compared to an overwhelmed Gabbert playing on a very bad team. If you factor in the fact that due to the CBA conflict Gabbert didn't have much of a training camp then the outcome shouldn't come as a surprise.

As I stated on previous posts those who are making the judgment that Gabbert is a failure because of his first year struggles are being too premature in their judgment.

Edited by JohnC

What's wrong with that? If you aren't completing passes with your eyes open isn't it reasonable to go to your next option? LOL

On a serious note smart organizations do their best to place their players in the best possible position to succeed. There is nothing unusual about a highly drafted player, especially a qb, who from the beginning can't handle the position. There is nothing wrong with sitting a young player and working to develop that player. Good organizations do it all the time.

There is a big difference with starting a rookie qb such as Ben Roethlisberger who is playing on a very good veteran team with a very good OL and running game compared to an overwhelmed Gabbert playing on a very bad team. If you factor in the fact that due to the CBA conflict Gabbert didn't have much of a training camp then the outcome shouldn't come as a surprise.

As I stated on previous posts those who are making the judgment that Gabbert is a failure because of his first year struggles are being too premature in their judgment.

No doubt. Players can improve and others can regress.

I did see one Jags game last year, though. Gabbert looked every bit the deer-in-the-headlights that his critics are saying. Thankfully they locked Modrak out of the war room last draft. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow, if this rumor is true, then a team that panic picks a punter when they need a WR and there are plenty of small, fast WRs still on the board does little to inspire confidence.

Don't underestimate Bryan Anger's value to the Jags:

After-all-he-pronounces-his-first-name-just-like-Moorman-does

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

A second rate punter would prove to be more than adequate. :thumbsup:

I didn't follow the Jaguars too closely last year so I can't say how bad he was. Most NFL commentators are saying that Gabbert was an abject failure. Why is that such a surprise? More often than not rookie qbs, especially on a bad team and without a reasonable training camp, will struggle. Newton is an exception not the rule for rookie qbs having an immediate impact. Gabbert is the type of qb, as most young qbs are, who needed to be groomed behind a veteran qb before he got on the field. My basic point is let's give him some more time before he is conclusively labeled a failure. (I'm not saying that you are making that point.)

Don't forget gabbert thought that he was a back up, then after pre season they cut gurrard.

I don't feel bad about the Graham pick, but I would actually be less confident about it if you told me that turd Mullarkey was interested in him.

Haha, excellent point! Hell, Mularkey took a PUNTER in the 3rd. How this guy got another OC job, let alone HC job, absolutely baffles me...

As an offensive coach, for him to be placing so much emphasis on punting is not a good sign...

Edited by Turbosrrgood