The Purpose of Spectacular Wealth, According to a Spectacularly Wealth

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/magazine/romneys-former-bain-partner-makes-a-case-for-inequality.html?pagewanted=6&_r=1

Very Interesting Article, it is long but I would give it a read. Some of the basic premises puzzle me, like how someone mega rich earning $1, also allows the Middle Class to Earn $5- that would suggest a large trasfer of wealth, and the facts over the past 10-15 years don't support that- or that Banks should be bailed out by the Government no matter what... since when it Capitalism do private banks get 100% representative Government gaurantee?

What I did like about the article was his notion of Risk in relation to growth- I don't know if fancy derivatives are considered considered productive investments like Venture Capital in a start-up, but I think he is right that money being put on the line for innovation and advancement is what makes this country great...

I will never begrudge someone from making alot of money, and as much money a possible- that is capitalism.... but at some point you have to ask questions about the eroding capital base of the largest part of this country, the middle class working scrocks... just how much can be driven up before hard workers begin to give up because the American Dream is such a long shot? How long before it no longer makes sense to finance an education because the jobs don't pay enough to justify it? Our economy, those Big Risk ideas Conrad loves are fueled by the people who spend the money to buy those products, how long before those people are no longer willing to spend, and save their money in fear instead?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/magazine/romneys-former-bain-partner-makes-a-case-for-inequality.html?pagewanted=6&_r=1

Very Interesting Article, it is long but I would give it a read. Some of the basic premises puzzle me, like how someone mega rich earning $1, also allows the Middle Class to Earn $5- that would suggest a large trasfer of wealth, and the facts over the past 10-15 years don't support that- or that Banks should be bailed out by the Government no matter what... since when it Capitalism do private banks get 100% representative Government gaurantee?

What I did like about the article was his notion of Risk in relation to growth- I don't know if fancy derivatives are considered considered productive investments like Venture Capital in a start-up, but I think he is right that money being put on the line for innovation and advancement is what makes this country great...

I will never begrudge someone from making alot of money, and as much money a possible- that is capitalism.... but at some point you have to ask questions about the eroding capital base of the largest part of this country, the middle class working scrocks... just how much can be driven up before hard workers begin to give up because the American Dream is such a long shot? How long before it no longer makes sense to finance an education because the jobs don't pay enough to justify it? Our economy, those Big Risk ideas Conrad loves are fueled by the people who spend the money to buy those products, how long before those people are no longer willing to spend, and save their money in fear instead?

based on a book by an uber wealthy protege of romney at bain. based on this interview, the obama campaign should buy every independent voter a copy and send it to them "from mitt".

Edited by birdog1960

based on a book by an uber wealthy protege of romney at bain. based on this interview, the obama campaign should buy every independent voter a copy and send it to them "from mitt".

While they are at it, they should send a link to obamas cradle to grave 'Julie' website to every independent to let them know what team Obama is really about.

the more i thought about this article the more i thought of the criticism of liberals "thinking they know what's best for everyone". this guy, conrad is saying super wealth more than pays for itself through innovation. but only innovation deemed worthy by the super wealthy and by extension, only innovation that makes the wealthy wealthier. so if this were the only funding for innovation, things that weren't wealth producing would have little chance for innovation. conrad actually uses fast food as an innovation that helped society! geez, we're so grateful.

this is the antithesis of the liberal vision...the super wealthy knowing whats best for everyone (based solely on benefit to themselves) and actually being able to decide.. if you're really comfortable with that then, by all means, cast that romney vote,or even 2 or 3.

Edited by birdog1960

the more i thought about this article the more i thought of the criticism of liberals "thinking they know what's best for everyone". this guy, conrad is saying super wealth more than pays for itself through innovation. but only innovation deemed worthy by the super wealthy and by extension, only innovation that makes the wealthy wealthier. so if this were the only funding for innovation, things that weren't wealth producing would have little chance for innovation. conrad actually uses fast food as an innovation that helped society! geez, we're so grateful.

this is the antithesis of the liberal vision...the super wealthy knowing whats best for everyone (based solely on benefit to themselves) and actually being able to decide.. if you're really comfortable with that then, by all means, cast that romney vote,or even 2 or 3.

As opposed to government knowing what's best for everyone? And what economic status predominantly makes up the government?

As opposed to government knowing what's best for everyone? And what economic status predominantly makes up the government?

didn't you see mr smith goes to washington? and there's a good number of "everymen" in the house...until they lose or retire and cash in as lobbyists. but seriously who's more likely to fund unprofitable innovations?

didn't you see mr smith goes to washington? and there's a good number of "everymen" in the house...until they lose or retire and cash in as lobbyists. but seriously who's more likely to fund unprofitable innovations?

I don't know. The poor?

"the comfort of the rich depends on an abundant supply of the poor" voltaire, taken from the comments on the piece.

Wealth is a zero sum game? Thanks for letting me know Mr Marx.

Edited by meazza

marx may have read voltaire...i don't know, do you?

Neither do I. Of course you're the one quoting him (or quoting someone else quoting him) which makes all of the parties involved wrong.

Never has there been a false premise so strongly advertised that one person being wealthy means they took it from someone else.

Never has there been a false premise so strongly advertised that one person being wealthy means they took it from someone else.

Although that's how I roll. But mostly because the incessant whining about "the rich" really pisses me off.

Society, like sports leagues, need some form of salary cap, so to say. If the rich grab all the loot, who the he'll will buy all the goods and services?

so in your opinion how is a guy like me who grew up in a poor family able to buy a 50,000 car?

Considering he's saying that's what happened, you're arguing for the status quo.

GOD, I've missed you. :lol:

would you like to deport din to quebec? he'll feel right at home.

The distribution of wealth by governments lifts millions out of poverty. Love it!

I suppose I am lucky to not have been affected by brain damage like some of our favorite residents from norfolk