Woman throws outs $1M lotto ticket

There must be more to this story than meets the eye, otherwise it just makes no sense to me. Was the ticket signed by the purchaser? I know there are different lotteries, but from what I understand that's the only way to prove ownership of the ticket. If she didn't sign it, how does the judge know it belongs to the woman who claims she threw it away? How did the woman who found it in the trash know it was a winner? Just pure luck? This is very odd, but there has to be one BIG piece of information missing from this story, otherwise I don't see how the judge can order the woman to give the cash back to the woman who claims to have purchased the ticket originally.

There must be more to this story than meets the eye, otherwise it just makes no sense to me. Was the ticket signed by the purchaser? I know there are different lotteries, but from what I understand that's the only way to prove ownership of the ticket. If she didn't sign it, how does the judge know it belongs to the woman who claims she threw it away? How did the woman who found it in the trash know it was a winner? Just pure luck? This is very odd, but there has to be one BIG piece of information missing from this story, otherwise I don't see how the judge can order the woman to give the cash back to the woman who claims to have purchased the ticket originally.

The way I see it you have two choices:

1. Web show investigative report.

2. Somehow find Steely and give him 14.2 seconds to figure out the whole thing and type up a post.

seems to me like it was pure luck that she dumpster dove and found a needle in a haystack. That said, if the lottery machine scanned it and said "Not A Winner" I think the onus falls on the lottery officials or whomever is responsible for the machines technical capabilities. I am sure they have insurance for just these kinds of things...seems like the lottery officials need to step up and leave the dumpster diver alone(with the $$) and pay up the original owner...

if in fact this story is as it is being laid out...but i am sure we will find that not to be the case...