How is this guy trying to scam me?

Sell your boat on ebay.

eBay is rife with scammers too.

A couple of years ago I sold an expensive film scanner on eBay - the auction went for almost $1700, and the device was in perfect condition. The winner told me he had a project he needed to get done quickly, so I sent it out very promptly after getting paid via PayPal. A week after the guy gets it, he tells me that it doesn't scan properly - that there's yellow lines through each image he scans. His proof? He takes a picture of the monitor instead of sending me the actual picture files. I tried working with him for a couple of weeks, and the story changed -- first there were lines, then there were error messages. I kept telling him to try a different computer or send me some proof, but he would never comply - just said he knows how to use computers and that the product is clearly faulty and he wants his money back (despite the ad specifically saying no returns).

Well guess what? eBay is VERY buyer-friendly. 30 days after the auction ended, he filed a complaint saying the product "wasn't as advertised," and based on eBay's rules, I was required to refund his money once he shipped the scanner back to me. The big scam here is that eBay doesn't care WHAT you send back -- and people frequently send rocks or other garbage so that they get the product AND the money. At least this scammer sent me the scanner back. I tested it out, it worked fine, and I re-listed it. A photo processing company ended up winning the auction (for a little less, but not much), and they said it worked fine for them as well.

I had a little :devil: on my shoulder though. eBay's rules say that if the buyer returns the product that they have to have signature confirmation -- and he only had delivery confirmation. I was SOOOOOO tempted to say, "I'm sorry, I didn't receive anything," and keep my money and the scanner. But then I'd be committing fraud as well, so it just wasn't worth it (and it all ended well anyway). But scammers are everywhere - it sucks. :(

I have a Canon 10-22mm lens that I'd like to sell, but I don't want to do eBay and I don't want to do Craigslist, so I'm kinda stuck. :(

It's best to just say "screw you buddy, I want cash" and ignore him. Even though your bank may say the check is good in 3 days, they are only verifying it electronically. It stills needs to be physically verified at the issuing bank, and that can take weeks. Here's a decent website that explains the process....

http://www.fraudaid.com/ScamSpeak/Nigerian/counterfeit_check_fraud/counterfeit_check_03.htm

If you still want to screw him over, open a new account at a different bank than your normal one, deposit the check, then tell him you won't release the boat motor until the check physically clears, which will take about a month. And have him send the check to a PO box, not your home address. I think you can rent a PO box pretty cheap for one month.

Good post. I thought about the PO box [so he would not have my home address] I just don't feel good about doing nothing

Update-I put the first ad in a week ago Sunday. Got the scam e-mail as noted, no other response. Well Craigslist Alaska under boats runs about 100 posts a day, so I am buried at page 5. So at 1145 PM yesterday I resubmited the add[posting just before midnight puts you on the top of the page for that day]. Sure enough a e-mail shows up asking if the "item" is still for sale. Whatever :rolleyes: So anyway at 5PM I get a phone call asking about the motor. Me-"would you like to come over and look at it?" Caller-"No I want to come over and buy it". And he did with a wad of $100 bills :D

So the point is Craigslist is a wonderful buying and selling tool, of course there are crooks on it But they seem unsophisticated . I would not think anyone with more intellect then Conner would be fooled.

One of the guys I work with just got scammed out of a motorcycle via Craigslist. Don't accept anything but cash, wire, or cashier's check. Report the contact to the FBI.

Cashiers checks are sketchy. Reports in NC sometimes say they're fake cashiers checks. Always check the account. When I got my truck the guy wanted cash for the 06 F350 Lariet. Yeah, im not ever going to carry that much cash. I took him to my bank and they transferred it then and there...only after seeing him with the title outright in his hand from his security box.

Edited by jboyst62

Kijiji here in Canada has the same scammers with exactly the same email text. I got it from one lot who were after a wardrobe I was selling. I ignored their email and wold the wardrobe for $650 cash. Happy days.

If you respond to these scammers - I can help you protect yourself. Send me a PM with your name, address, bank account number, sort code, bank address, credit card number, date of birth, the last three digits form the back of your credit card, your social security number, your mothers maiden name and any other relevant personal details. I will input these details into a database maintained on my personal server (not connected to the internet) and periodically make withdrawals from your account and payments on your card to ensure you have enough funds to live your life. If the payments or withdrawals fail I'll be certain to remove your details from the database and instruct your bank or credit provider to get in touch with you to inform you of the fraud.

I just listed a large chest freezer for a little less than $300 on Craigslist last week and got the same kind of crap. Someone emailing about 10 minutes after I posted it with just a single line asking if it was still available. :huh: I got another shortly after with just about the same wordage as the OP, that he would pay an extra $50 for something to do with shipping (I don't remember) but it also demanded that I delete the ad since he said he was going to buy it. Yeah, OK buddy... So the idea that they don't bother with lesser-priced stuff isn't gospel. Got a few others that were suspiciously short that I simply responded to with "please call the number listed to discuss details." I think only one did.

My rule of thumb is that if a response is really poorly written, is asking something you've already answered in the ad (I gave a good description and photos), then you tread carefully. That's one of the worst things about the advent of "smartphones" and the (predictable?) loss of grammar --- it's harder to tell apart non-English scammers and people who don't respond in complete sentences... or even a complete thought. If it doesn't seem right, then it probably isn't. I prefer to talk over the phone because that at least gives some verbal clues whether the person's interest is legit or otherwise. I've always had a cash-only policy. And when someone does come to look at something, I have company there either with a friend or two (and often, with two friends their names are Wesson and Smith).

Well as I mentioned I sold the motor to a real buyer yesterday but left the ad in just to see what other e-mail "offers" I would get. Got this gem today-

Hello i think i have to explained to you that am a

(Ocean-Photographer) i worked main offshore am not available to give

you a call due to the nature of my job i can only give you a text

message to your mobile phones, Cell phone using is restricted here so

this is the reason why am not available to give you a call i also wish

to call you but due to that i do not have the chance to give you a

ring to your mobile i can only text get back to me soon to know what

we can do about that,

Thanks.

Common theme seems to be they never can call.

You also need to be worried about cash especially $100 bills. $100 bills are most counterfeited bills and one way they are changing them for real bills is buying items which can later be sold. Some of the phony bills are so good they can fool banks SOME of the time meaning banks sometimes accept them, give them as change and then when you use or even deposit later in same bank they are called counterfeited.

Well as I mentioned I sold the motor to a real buyer yesterday but left the ad in just to see what other e-mail "offers" I would get. Got this gem today-

Hello i think i have to explained to you that am a

(Ocean-Photographer) i worked main offshore am not available to give

you a call due to the nature of my job i can only give you a text

message to your mobile phones, Cell phone using is restricted here so

this is the reason why am not available to give you a call i also wish

to call you but due to that i do not have the chance to give you a

ring to your mobile i can only text get back to me soon to know what

we can do about that,

Thanks.

Common theme seems to be they never can call.

Are they all fans of ridiculous run on sentences too?

If you respond to these scammers - I can help you protect yourself. Send me a PM with your name, address, bank account number, sort code, bank address, credit card number, date of birth, the last three digits form the back of your credit card, your social security number, your mothers maiden name and any other relevant personal details. I will input these details into a database maintained on my personal server (not connected to the internet) and periodically make withdrawals from your account and payments on your card to ensure you have enough funds to live your life. If the payments or withdrawals fail I'll be certain to remove your details from the database and instruct your bank or credit provider to get in touch with you to inform you of the fraud.

lol!

You also need to be worried about cash especially $100 bills. $100 bills are most counterfeited bills and one way they are changing them for real bills is buying items which can later be sold. Some of the phony bills are so good they can fool banks SOME of the time meaning banks sometimes accept them, give them as change and then when you use or even deposit later in same bank they are called counterfeited.

Oddly enough banks seem rather casual about counterfeit bills. I own some apartments and some of my renters pay in cash. So for years I have monthly gone to the bank, filled out a deposit slip, put that and 24 c-notes on the counter and they just count it. Never realy look at it. But if I take that same bill to the store they will use the magic pen, hold it up to the light,etc. Maybe it's because it's my account but they just throw the bills in a drawer. How would they trace them to me?

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

In Canada we just got new bills. First they released the 100.00 then the 50.00 and now I hear the 20.00's coming out later in the year. They are pretty cool, almost plastic like paper (if that makes any sense). Looks like these would be really tough to conterfit. New money....