Dogs with "tangled intestines" advice

PaattMaann

My pooch Wally, 1 year old puggle...had to go to emergency vet last night and they did surgery and found his intestines were all twisted up and dark purple...(he went in because he had been salivating/puking/ and then puked blood)...as soon as the vet untangled them they started to return to their normal light pink color so she expects a full recovery, we had to take him to our own vet this morning where they will keep him for the next couple of days for post-op observation ....

My question is, does anyone have any personal experience with this type of thing? Ive done a lot of google searching so ive seen all of those, but im looking more for personal anecdotes. Unfortunately, many dogs who have this issue die pre or during surgery, luckily we got our guy there in time to be saved, but hopefully some of you out there have had experience or know about this type of thing....

Will this be a recurring thing? Is it a freak thing? Its more common in larger breeds like German Sheppards (not my little 20 pound puggle) but the research out there all seems to be very "sketchy" with the whys/whats/causes/defenses....I have not talked to my own vet yet (they are just focusing on him being given fluids and recovering from surgery right this second) and the emergency vet did not know why or what caused the stomach to twist...

Any ideas or experiences?

Edited by PaattMaann

My Uncle in Law died years later from the same thing. Somehow his intestines got all tangled up and had to be removed. It was terrible seeing him on a feeding tube for years. He was Italian and loved to cook before that accident. Cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me.

Sorry to hear about your sick pup! The good news is, he should be able to recover from the surgery well since he is only 1 year.

Other than that, I'm not familiar with the exact issue, so I can't offer any advice. But I'd put a list of questions together while you are waiting on him to recover, and address them with the vet next time you are in.

Best wishes from my wolf pack to yours!

I have no first hand expereience, but my wife is a vet tech and I've heard her talk about it before. It is more common in large breeds and I believe that large volume of water/ food followed by strenuous exercise is a common culprit. When the dog runs and jumps on a full belly his guts bounce around and tangle up. I'm no expert but I'd recommend limiting his portions.