Calling rock radio lovers

The Radio Station-org

A guy who I had the pleasure of working with out of college who had a long career in radio as a rock dj (FYI: did nights at WCCC Hartford when Howard Stern was there) started a web radio station. He's out of radio now so he's doing this as a hobby.

Back in our day DJs used to have some control of what music they played. A great DJ would weave magical sets. This guy, Bob, always had a great ear and great feel. This station is mostly classic rock (the odd new cut now and then) but sounds and feels like an old 70s FM station.

I think the Radio Station.org is awesome. Like to get your input, especially those who still dig music. (Poojer?) FYI, I asked the folks at the Tuned In app to add this to their lineup and they did, so you can put this on your phone while driving.

PTR

Sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a listen. Whenever Stern talks about his early DJ days he always says that he never had his finger on the pulse of what was trendy and that he just played the standards, your friend must be one of the cool DJ's he often refers to.

What does he consider Classic Rock? I really liked The Lake in Buffalo. It was a lot of deep cuts and some new stuff, too, from Bruce, Dylan, Dire Straits, The Cars, etc. A lot of stuff I hadn't heard before and got to love...........Opened me up a lot to Dylan.

97 Rock's version of Classic Rock bores me to tears - Boston, Foreigner, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, etc.

What does he consider Classic Rock? I really liked The Lake in Buffalo. It was a lot of deep cuts and some new stuff, too, from Bruce, Dylan, Dire Straits, The Cars, etc. A lot of stuff I hadn't heard before and got to love...........Opened me up a lot to Dylan.

97 Rock's version of Classic Rock bores me to tears - Boston, Foreigner, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, etc.

You have to check it out. His mantra is classic rock without the songs that have been beaten to death. So you hear deeper album cuts, some lost nuggets from bands you've forgotten, and the odd new tune from a classic artist. I just think he does a great job with it.

PTR

Just added it to my TuneInRadio app and Zeppelin was playing...works for me :) Thanks PTR

EDIT: Works great on iTunes, too...

EDIT2: Copied this from main page of site...tracks played in last hour or so...

Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild

Steppenwolf

Led Zeppelin - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Led Zeppelin

Van Halen - Blood And Fire

A Different Kind of Truth

Beatles - Another Girl

Help!

Bob Dylan - Don't Think Twice, It's All Right

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Jimi Hendrix - Like A Rolling Stone

Monterey International Pop Festival

Eagles - Desperado

Desperado

Bruce Springsteen - This Depression

Wrecking Ball

Badfinger - Baby Blue

Straight Up

Beach Boys - Add Some Music To Your Day

Sunflower

Van Morrison - Domino

His Band and His Street Choir

Martin Briley - Slipping Away

Fear Of The Unknown

Nazz - Open My Eyes

Nazz

U2 - One

Achtung Baby

John Mayer - Shadow Days

Born and Raised

Edited by ajzepp

That's an excellent playlist. Very much like The Lake (which you can still get in HD, and tunein - although when I play it on tunein it doesn't play very loud for some reason.

He won me over by playing This Depression by Bruce. Bruce hasn't even been playing it on tour at this point, but it's a good song, from a great album.

And, he's got deep tracks. When I saw Zep first, I'm thinking 97 Rock all over again, but Dylan, Bruce, Van, etc. you don't hear on 97 Rock anymore.

Great mix of deep cuts and hits. With a few new songs, which is what is missing from radio. It's either one thing or the other.

What, 97 Rock abandon their "Aqualung every hour" format?

That's an excellent playlist. Very much like The Lake (which you can still get in HD, and tunein - although when I play it on tunein it doesn't play very loud for some reason.

He won me over by playing This Depression by Bruce. Bruce hasn't even been playing it on tour at this point, but it's a good song, from a great album.

And, he's got deep tracks. When I saw Zep first, I'm thinking 97 Rock all over again, but Dylan, Bruce, Van, etc. you don't hear on 97 Rock anymore.

Great mix of deep cuts and hits. With a few new songs, which is what is missing from radio. It's either one thing or the other.

It really is a great format...so far I've seen a range from 1967 to 2012. It's like the perfect station. Jackson Browne, Tom Petty, Paul McCartney, the Turtles, Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, John Mayer, Bruce, etc, etc, etc...this is already one of my favorite stations.

You have to check it out. His mantra is classic rock without the songs that have been beaten to death. So you hear deeper album cuts, some lost nuggets from bands you've forgotten, and the odd new tune from a classic artist. I just think he does a great job with it.

PTR

Been listening for the past half hour. Very nice.

Is he having rights issues with any of the songs? I always suspected Pandora did.

Promo- thanks for the link...been listening for the last hour or so, really digging it... the station I love here, in town, went dark... so far "Cold Shot" by Stevie Ray, "Just Like A Woman"...great so far! Saw the playlist that AJ posted...if they played "Another Girl", one of my favorite Beatles songs, ever, they must be doing it right. :thumbsup: Now the Kinks "Sunny Afternoon"...awesome!

Between this and Scott Shannon's "True Oldie Radio" I think I am covered...the Shannon station is really just late 50's to late 70's!

• 1 month later...

I feel like I'm in music heaven between the upgraded (pay version) Pandora and PTR's buddy. I bought some fantastic portable headphones recently and the sound quality I'm getting from these two sources is far better than I could have ever imagined. I listen to both of these sources every day lately.