RD 4, Pick #124: CB Ron Brooks - LSU

SDS

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I forgot. If Stephon Gilmore didn't spell the end of Leodis McKelvin, I think Ron Brooks just did.

#datrite

I don't think McKelvins going anywhere. He will get better with an improved pass rush.

No shame in Brooks not starting behind the 6th overall pick this year and a 1st round pick next year. The guy looks likea playmaker. Our special teams just got better too with Brooks and Nigel.

It's a good thing Lindell doesn't have the leg strength to kick balls in the end zone... Now our ST will tackle guys inside the 20 on kickoffs...

Was Rogers not playing more than him at the end?

I at least remember Rogers returning kick-offs and doing a good job of it. If Nix/Gailey likes him more than McKelvin in that department, that may help his chances of sticking around.

Was Rogers not playing more than him at the end?

Yeah, he was. And just looking at the numbers alone, you tell me who the odd men out are? Considering that you only generally keep 5 maybe 6:

Stephon Gilmore

Aaron Williams

Drayton Florence

Terrence McGee

Justin Rogers

Ron Brooks

Leodis McKelvin

I don't think McKelvins going anywhere. He will get better with an improved pass rush.

That's an optimistic viewpoint, IMO.

1) Last year of contract

2) Has not established himself after 5 years… clearly a disappointment who has only shown in flashes.

If anything, McKelvin might have some trade value.

Anyone who doesn't like this pick doesn't know Ron Brooks. This dude is mean and a playmaker. Only reason he wasn't a full time starter was because of numbers.

2010 Patrick peterson and Mo Claiborne were your starters. Brooks, Badger, and Tharold Simon split reps in the nickel. Brooks is no Peterson or Claiborne, but who really is?

2011 Claiborne and Tharold Simon were your starters. With Brooks and Badger in the nickel.. Only reason Simon was the #2 DB because he's 6'4 with coverage ability. Look for Simon to also be a first rounder when he comes out. Also because Badger was a must to keep in the Nickel because of what he does that made him a finalist for the heisman.

Brooks could have started for any other team in the country. He's that good. I don't ever remember seeing him out of position his whole career. He's smart. What you're getting is a DB with Brooks is not elite, but great coverage ability. Elite speed. Can kick return. And will hit you if you're in the way.

Look up what Brooks did to Auburn when he to start opposite of Claiborne when both Simon and Badger got suspended.

I'm concerned by this.

Would you prefer he was a starter at some also-ran school instead of a solid contributor on one of the top teams in the nation behind two of the best CBs in college football? He wasn't drafted to be a day one starter; he was drafted for depth, his speed, and the potential in what he can become.

I agree. There's a coherent vision… you sense the blueprint underneath the picks both in the plan drawings and the detail drawings.

The Cordy Glenn pick is also proof of that.

Anyone who doesn't like this pick doesn't know Ron Brooks. This dude is mean and a playmaker. Only reason he wasn't a full time starter was because of numbers.

2010 Patrick peterson and Mo Claiborne were your starters. Brooks, Badger, and Tharold Simon split reps in the nickel. Brooks is no Peterson or Claiborne, but who really is?

2011 Claiborne and Tharold Simon were your starters. With Brooks and Badger in the nickel.. Only reason Simon was the #2 DB because he's 6'4 with coverage ability. Look for Simon to also be a first rounder when he comes out. Also because Badger was a must to keep in the Nickel because of what he does that made him a finalist for the heisman.

Brooks could have started for any other team in the country. He's that good. I don't ever remember seeing him out of position his whole career. He's smart. What you're getting is a DB with Brooks is not elite, but great coverage ability. Elite speed. Can kick return. And will hit you if you're in the way.

Look up what Brooks did to Auburn when he to start opposite of Claiborne when both Simon and Badger got suspended.

Hope your analysis gets these other folks off the ledge!! Thanks for the insight.

But where does Florence fit in? He cannot have much left on his contract either

I think Florence is also on his last year. That's why we're drafting CBs. I could see Florence, McKelvin, and McGee gone after this year.

edit: Sorry, Florence has 2 years left.

Edited by nucci

I don't see how, he's not bad because he loses his man frequently, he's bad because even though he ends up where he's supposed to be he always gets outcompeted for the ball.