Dilfer says Bills need a QB

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way we're going to use our rd2 pick on a QB, and I'd say it's VERY unlikely we'll do so in rd 3 either.

Trent Dilfer said that the top 2 QB's left graded out higher than last year's Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder. One was The ASU guy and I missed the other, but he named the Bills as a team who should grab a 2nd round QB. Thoughts?

I think the question is a step forward or a step back. I do not think a Qb is available that can start this year or next, but, one that needs time. On the other hand there are other players available who can. QB is a need, but trade up for Osweiler if there late 3rd or the guy from Wisconsin. There is a need, but not a huge pressing one. I have faith in ole #14.

Trent Dilfer said that the top 2 QB's left graded out higher than last year's Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder. One was The ASU guy and I missed the other, but he named the Bills as a team who should grab a 2nd round QB. Thoughts?

Dilfer's definitely right about the Bills needing a QB! The question is whether anyone left will be a franchise player. If so, they should grab him, and trade up if necessary. But if a second round QB isn't going to become The Guy, then there's no need to use a second round pick on him. This really is an all or nothing proposition, which means you don't use a high draft pick on him unless you think there's a good chance he's The Answer.

I don't buy that for a second. If the top two remaining QBs had graded out with 1st round grades, like Gabbert and Ponder last year, somebody would have drafted them in the first round. Now, maybe in his ranking system they do, but I refuse to believe it was the consensus of scouts around the league that the two highest rated remaining QBs were issued such high grades after nearly a year of compiling information about the top 300 or so prospects for the draft.

That said, if Buddy and Co. have a QB rated higher than someone else at 41, then by all means, they may just take him. Doubt it though.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I don't think it's a stretch to say Bflo needs a QB. Fitz led the league in interceptions and there is no decent backup. I'm thinking Osweiler or Wilson in the 3rd after grabbing Martin or Adams in the 2nd.

I suspect Osweiler goes in the 2nd (only because the QB position is over-drafted), which the Bills can't afford to gamble on given the big holes they have to fill at OT, WR and LB.

give up a 7th for mccoy and we have a qb. a back-up capable of executing a fitz gameplan. thats all we need.

or get wilson when hes still there in the 7th. same.

As far as the arm, I have no argument here. The question is, where is McCoy's footabll savy compared to Fitzpatrick's?

I feel we absolutely need a QB. Imagine if Fitz gets seriously hurt in the first few weeks, and he's out for maybe 6-8 weeks. All of a sudden, a year when Buffalo is supposed to be relevant, instead they'd already be sunk, if all they have is Thigpen.

Now, I agree, a 6th or 7th rounder for Colt McCoy - that'd be an answer, because he's got similar features as Fitz and could come in and win games if Fitz went down, and might actually be able to beat Fitz out in a competition.

Or, we need to get a QB who can win games, because, as another poster mentioned, if the QB can't be good enough to lead an NFL team, then you don't waste a pick on him. So, if Buffalo feels there's a QB available in the 2nd or 3rd who can become a winning QB, they should take him, especially if they don't plan on another, like the above mentioned, option. We simply cannot go into this season with the backup situation as it is. That is just as bad as the LT or WR situation.

give up a 7th for mccoy and we have a qb. a back-up capable of executing a fitz gameplan. thats all we need.

No we need someoe with a big time arm (something fitz lacks) who has the potential to push fitz for starting role and lead us to better places We dont need a "capable" backup whose role is to spell the starter. McCoys best fit is a place like green bay where the starters certain and they're just looking for some veteran insurance if he's out a few games.

As many on here have pointed out already, the Bills clearly have a need for a backup QB. Going into the season with just Thigpen behind Fitz is a big gamble. That said, there is more than one way to skin the cat.

Strengthening the offensive tackle position in the second round is one way to go. It should help Fitz remain upright and lessen the need of a backup QB to play significant minutes. The other way to go is to address the problem when teams start cutting veteran signal callers. This would be a short term solution until the Bills find their QB of the future.

I have a feeling the Bills are going to avoid a QB in rounds 2 or 3. They'll wait until next year to draft "the man".

I hope Gabbert makes it - I really do - but this isn't saying a whole heck of a lot.

Now if they said he graded out higher than Andy Dalton that might prick my interest.

How do you figure that?

That'd be good if it works. No worse than Jasper in the 7th anyway.

Philly may take one fairly early. I don't think they are going to place their faith in Trent Edwards as their main backup.

But, he worked out for them in shorts.