Does President Obama listen to his own advisors?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/2012/04/23/christina-romer-knows-tax-hikes-will-kill-the-recovery/

“Thus the finding that tax changes have substantial impacts on output appears to be very durable. That including controls for known output shocks has little effect on the estimated impact of tax changes is important indirect evidence that our new measure of fiscal shocks is not correlated with other factors affecting output.”

The publication of the Romers’ research and the soon thereafter resignation of Dr. Romer from the Obama White House to return to Berkeley undermines the authenticity of President Obama’s oft repeated claims that his proposed budget would increase economic growth and produce an “economy built to last.” Given the importance of her work — only the most important research is published by the American Economic Review — it is hard to imagine Professor Romer failed to inform her boss she was publishing an analysis that said the administration’s proposed tax increases would almost certainly be “highly contractionary.”

If she did convey her findings and the White House chose to ignore them, the implications are staggering and deserve to be the subject of Congressional hearings. In such a case, it would appear President Obama’s zeal for massive tax increases trumps all of his talk about the importance of job creation and economic growth.

Why should he? ?

Obama: I Can Do Every Job Better Than Those I Hire to Do It

By Jim Geraghty

It appears one of the great challenges that President Obama has had to overcome in office is that no one around him is as good at their job as he is.

From Jodi Kantor’s The Obamas, page 66:

Obama had always had a high estimation of his ability to cast and run his operation. When David Plouffe, his campaign manager, first interviewed for a job with him in 2006, the senator gave him a warning: “I think I could probably do every job on the campaign better than the people I’ll hire to do it,” he said. “It’s hard to give up control when that’s all I’ve known.” Obama said nearly the same thing to Patrick Gaspard, whom he hired to be the campaign’s political director. “I think I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters,” Obama told him. “I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m gonna think I’m a better political director than my political director.”

Jim Geraghty

And then there’s this:

[Rahm] Emanuel’s ad-hocracy, meanwhile, didn’t faze Obama. The president’s friend and adviser Valerie Jarrett sometimes pointed out that not only had he never managed an operation, he’d never really had a nine-to-five job in his life. Obama didn’t know what he didn’t know, yet his self-confidence was so stratospheric that once, in the context of thinking about Emanuel’s replacement, he remarked in all seriousness, “You know, I’d make a good chief of staff.”

Those overhearing the comment somehow managed to suppress their laughter.

NY Mag

Wow, revolutionary work. Standard Keynesian theory: deficits are expanasionary; so, yes, raising taxes in general is contractionary (see Spain and Britain). However, demand side theory also suggests that the impact depends on the marginal propensity to consume of those facing a tax cut/increase. A tax cut for those who spend all of their income has a greater effect on spending than a tax cut targeted at those who save 25% of their income. Therefore, any tax increase will have a lesser impact on demand if targeted at the top--those who don't spend all of their income. I'm sure the Romers would agree.

As for the article, since the majority of the tax increase is target at the top, the negative impact will be a little less than they estimate, but negative still.

Why should he? ?

By Jim Geraghty

It appears one of the great challenges that President Obama has had to overcome in office is that no one around him is as good at their job as he is.

Obama had always had a high estimation of his ability to cast and run his operation. When David Plouffe, his campaign manager, first interviewed for a job with him in 2006, the senator gave him a warning: “I think I could probably do every job on the campaign better than the people I’ll hire to do it,” he said. “It’s hard to give up control when that’s all I’ve known.” Obama said nearly the same thing to Patrick Gaspard, whom he hired to be the campaign’s political director. “I think I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters,” Obama told him. “I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m gonna think I’m a better political director than my political director.”

Jim Geraghty

And then there’s this:

[Rahm] Emanuel’s ad-hocracy, meanwhile, didn’t faze Obama. The president’s friend and adviser Valerie Jarrett sometimes pointed out that not only had he never managed an operation, he’d never really had a nine-to-five job in his life. Obama didn’t know what he didn’t know, yet his self-confidence was so stratospheric that once, in the context of thinking about Emanuel’s replacement, he remarked in all seriousness, “You know, I’d make a good chief of staff.”

NY Mag

Reading the above brings this to mind (starting at 0:20): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqVBKO_QM3o&feature=player_embedded

As for the "he’d never really had a nine-to-five job in his life," that's something Romney can toss back in his face.

Why should he? ?

By Jim Geraghty

Jim Geraghty

And then there’s this:

NY Mag

"Il Douche" is dangerous. At least Mussolini had the trains running on time.

Edited by Wacka