Turtle help!!!!!

I just posted on a previous post how my wife wants me to clean the turtle tank. Aquatic turtle.

What can I do about the green algae? Not the cleaning part. Controlling the cloudyness.

I'm now at the point of cleaning this sucker every 7-10 days. The filter is working properly. In fact the water is clean. Its just the green coloration that makes the tank look unattractive. Like I didnt sign up for this.

Most people dont have turtles. I think I know why.

I've been doing this for a year. I'm almost ready to call it quits.

Any advice.

I just posted on a previous post how my wife wants me to clean the turtle tank. Aquatic turtle.

What can I do about the green algae? Not the cleaning part. Controlling the cloudyness.

I'm now at the point of cleaning this sucker every 7-10 days. The filter is working properly. In fact the water is clean. Its just the green coloration that makes the tank look unattractive. Like I didnt sign up for this.

Any advice.

I get a lot of algae on the rocks, logs, and the discharge from the tank filter but the water in my tank is crystal clear (with no trace of any turbidity or coloration) and I don't seem to have much build up on the tank itself. Takes about 3 weeks for it to become significant and I clean the tank about every 4 weeks.

I've been told that having the tank in a room that doesn't get natural sunlight will help, but it isn't really an option for my set up. Next time I'm in Country Max I'll see if they have any advice but it probably won't be for a couple more weeks. Their tanks are spotless.

i remember seeing a documentary series on turtles and if i recall correctly...a lot of the algae problems seemed to come from a diet of pizza...it also attracted rats...i'd make sure they aren't getting too much pizza before going to too much trouble...

i remember seeing a documentary series on turtles and if i recall correctly...a lot of the algae problems seemed to come from a diet of pizza...it also attracted rats...i'd make sure they aren't getting too much pizza before going to too much trouble...

:lol: the filthy creatures also can give you a nice case of salmonella poisoning....flush the sucker.

I work at an environmental center and we have a turtle tank. What we do to control the algae is 1) occasionally clean it but not every week, like monthly. 2) We have two crayfish in the tank which eat a lot of the leftover food and algae. and keeps the tank running pretty well.

If you not interested in getting crayfish however if you feed the turtle only what it eats each time and remove leftover food right away, that helps to keep algae levels down. Also you might be surprised how much algae has built up inside your filter, might help to clean that real good

NO SOAP!!!! It will poison the turtle

Hope that helps

I get a lot of algae on the rocks, logs, and the discharge from the tank filter but the water in my tank is crystal clear (with no trace of any turbidity or coloration) and I don't seem to have much build up on the tank itself. Takes about 3 weeks for it to become significant and I clean the tank about every 4 weeks.

I've been told that having the tank in a room that doesn't get natural sunlight will help, but it isn't really an option for my set up. Next time I'm in Country Max I'll see if they have any advice but it probably won't be for a couple more weeks. Their tanks are spotless.

Based on this post you could have algae on the rocks, floor, but have clear water?

I would be ok with that. Should I get a more powerful filter? I'm currently running an aqueon 20 gallon filter. The tank is 10 gallon. She's still small.

I work at an environmental center and we have a turtle tank. What we do to control the algae is 1) occasionally clean it but not every week, like monthly. 2) We have two crayfish in the tank which eat a lot of the leftover food and algae. and keeps the tank running pretty well.

If you not interested in getting crayfish however if you feed the turtle only what it eats each time and remove leftover food right away, that helps to keep algae levels down. Also you might be surprised how much algae has built up inside your filter, might help to clean that real good

NO SOAP!!!! It will poison the turtle

Hope that helps

thanks Captain. If I occasionally cleaned it, it would look too green. As far as the crayfish. I'll look into that. I currently have a small tank. A big crawfish wouldnt work... A small one might be eaten by the turtle???? She eats ghost shrimp and small guppy fish every now and then.

I used to overfeed. I dont anymore. She eats everything and no leftovers. The filter gets cleaned very well too. That's why its so annoying. It takes me total like 45 minutes for everything. And i have a water siphon that makes the water change easier.

Which brand do you have? I want to get it and see if this helps.

thanks Captain. If I occasionally cleaned it, it would look too green. As far as the crayfish. I'll look into that. I currently have a small tank. A big crawfish wouldnt work... A small one might be eaten by the turtle???? She eats ghost shrimp and small guppy fish every now and then.

I used to overfeed. I dont anymore. She eats everything and no leftovers. The filter gets cleaned very well too. That's why its so annoying. It takes me total like 45 minutes for everything. And i have a water siphon that makes the water change easier.

Which brand do you have? I want to get it and see if this helps.

If you make a rock habitat for the crayfish so he can hide that works pretty well. Turtles here like to stand on top of them but we've had two crayfish in there for a few months and nothing bad has happened to them with 3 turtles

What kind of turtle do you have btw?

TMNT reference, nice!

TMNT reference, nice!

lmao.

actually its the regular res. red eared slider.

If you make a rock habitat for the crayfish so he can hide that works pretty well. Turtles here like to stand on top of them but we've had two crayfish in there for a few months and nothing bad has happened to them with 3 turtles

What kind of turtle do you have btw?

size of the crayfish please?

Based on this post you could have algae on the rocks, floor, but have clear water?

I would be ok with that. Should I get a more powerful filter? I'm currently running an aqueon 20 gallon filter. The tank is 10 gallon. She's still small.

That is correct.

I'm using a Tetrafauna ReptoFilter 125GPH. It's supposed to be designed for up to a 55 gallon tank. I have it in a ~25 gallon tank 1/2 filled with water.

That is correct.

I'm using a Tetrafauna ReptoFilter 125GPH. It's supposed to be designed for up to a 55 gallon tank. I have it in a ~25 gallon tank 1/2 filled with water.

done! 24.98 at amazon

I also bought Nutrafin Turtle clean. Dumb petco guy said the little bottle would help.

We have a spiny cheek crayfish and I think the other is a rusty crayfish but im not positive on that one. Its about 3 or 4 inches maybe, not big. We have two red eared sliders and a painted turtle here

They dont sell these at my local petco anymore. Or else I would have 2 crayfish in my office ready for tonight.

Crayfish will be my last resort if the other stuff doesnt work.

Thanks to all. Taro and Capn specially.

done! 24.98 at amazon

I also bought Nutrafin Turtle clean. Dumb petco guy said the little bottle would help.

They dont sell these at my local petco anymore. Or else I would have 2 crayfish in my office ready for tonight.

Crayfish will be my last resort if the other stuff doesnt work.

Thanks to all. Taro and Capn specially.

let me know what happens with this. Im curious

let me know what happens with this. Im curious

The filter that Taro recommended works!!!!! That and maybe the turlle clean solution.

I posted the topic and I got the filter one day later (no express shipping/probably a local vendor in socal). Normally on day 6 its already ready for a water change. I dont do it on day 6. But by end of day 7 or on day 7, the water is so green its ridiculous. Its not attractive to the eye AT ALL. Its looks dirty and ugly.

Taro was right. I changed water last thursday and had new filter by friday. Its been a week with same water. Water is still crystal clean just like Taro said. There is green algae on the floor and some rocks. But water is still clear. I dont mind the algae. I mind the dirty green discoloration that makes the water look super dirty.

Long story short: I'm keeping "Tootsie"

Thanks again to all

The filter that Taro recommended works!!!!! That and maybe the turlle clean solution.

I posted the topic and I got the filter one day later (no express shipping/probably a local vendor in socal). Normally on day 6 its already ready for a water change. I dont do it on day 6. But by end of day 7 or on day 7, the water is so green its ridiculous. Its not attractive to the eye AT ALL. Its looks dirty and ugly.

Taro was right. I changed water last thursday and had new filter by friday. Its been a week with same water. Water is still crystal clean just like Taro said. There is green algae on the floor and some rocks. But water is still clear. I dont mind the algae. I mind the dirty green discoloration that makes the water look super dirty.

Long story short: I'm keeping "Tootsie"

Thanks again to all

:thumbsup:

Any advice.

Enter him in a race against a rabbit and make sure to get really really good odds. Bet TONS. It will help if it is an arrogant rabbit.

Edited by ieatcrayonz