Just watched the Gruden QB with Russell Wilson. Sold.

Flutie>Fitzpatrick x10 Flutie won games.....I would take Flutie back in a nanosecond over the bumski's we have now.

Flutie ran an awesome defense

Flutie didn't win games. The defense in those days won games. Look at Flutie's stats. Look how many points the offense produced. We were winning defensive battles.

Though, I concede, there was something about "Flutie Magic" at the end of close games. Flutie often sucked for 3 Quarters, then played like he was possessed in the 4th.

So... Tebow with slightly dialed down Christianity, slightly more orthodox throwing motion, worse attitude, and better accuracy?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first real glimpse at him and he is quite impressive. Seems very intelligent and confident. Would really love to see the Bills take a chance on him if he is around after the first few rounds.

He's too short to be an NFL starter of note, unfortunately. The makeup of the modern game just won't allow him to succeed, and that's a shame.

Flutie ran an awesome defense

+1,000,000 :)

He's too short to be an NFL starter of note, unfortunately. The makeup of the modern game just won't allow him to succeed, and that's a shame.

Keep a few things in mind...

First, the NFL's current shortest starting QB is also arguably the NFL's best: Drew Brees

Second, Wilson played behind an NFL-sized oline last season. Yet, he threw 33 touchdowns against just 4 interceptions, and he had a better than 72 percent completion rate. He knows how to find the lanes.

My concern is whether his body can take the beating an NFL QB has to endure. But smarts can definitely extend a QB's lifespan.

Edited by scribo

First, the NFL's current shortest starting QB is also arguably the NFL's best: Drew Brees

Second, Wilson played behind an NFL-sized oline last season. Yet, he threw 33 touchdowns against just 4 interceptions, and he had a better than 72 percent completion rate. He knows how to find the lanes.

My concern is whether his body can take the beating an NFL QB has to endure. But smarts can definitely extend a QB's lifespan.

I'm interested in Wilson for these reasons. 4th rd would seem to be a really good chance to take.

For selfish reason i want him to become a Bill..local Richmond kid, have watched sinse his Sophomore year in High school, truly shed a tear when in his first collger game he was carted off on a strecther with a back/neck injury

Also, pretty sure we could get some good info as he is at my neighbors house often, his high school coach is good freind, and his sister is in same class as my daughter.

BTW, his sister starting Varsity point guard as an 8th grader...everyone claims she is a better pure athlete than her brother

Touche! Your example is one of the very, very few success stories... but with all the failures it is not easy to be optimistic!

Touche! Your example is one of the very, very few success stories... but with all the failures it is not easy to be optimistic!

I agree many shorter QBs have failed in the NFL but so have many tall QBs. I really believe success in the NFL is based more on the intangibles than the tangibles.

After reading this breakdown, I'd be very comfortable with Wilson as a mid-round pick. The height thing is always gonna be there, but I don't worry about it too much. In the first round, especially the top of the first round, you should stick to guys with no perceived holes in their game: prototypical size, great athleticism, no off-field problems, great college production, great work ethic, etc. But once you get to the later rounds (at all positions, but especially at QB), the only way a guy is going to come through is if he's being overlooked for some reason. And there is definitely a strong bias against short QBs. There's also legit reasons why you want a tall QB, sure. But if Flutie can be a good NFL starter, and Brees can be an elite NFL starter, then someone else in that height range can have success, too*. I don't know if it'll necessarily be Wilson, but someone will, and whoever it is will probably be drafted later than he should because there's a bias against short QBs.

In a similar vein, I don't worry about Brock Osweiler being too tall at 6'7". "But there's never been a good QB that tall!" Yeah, because very few humans get to that height in the first place, and the ones that do are mostly unathletic. And then, the miniscule amount who are that tall and athletic enough to play sports at an extremely high level usually go into basketball or volleyball, not football. So the sample size is ridiculously small, and nothing can be drawn from it. Eventually there will be a good QB that tall (for the record, I don't think it'll be Osweiler). And unlike short QBs, where their height really does pose a greater challenge than a 6'5" QB, there's no reason I can think of that a 6'7" or 6'8" guy would be hurt by his height.

*I could also count 6'0" Mike Vick here, but I don't think that's fair. His athleticism at the QB position, both in terms of arm and legs, is so far away from any other QB I've seen that he's really in a class by himself.

I saw tape of one game and he was basically throwing it short on every passing play.

Does anyone know what his yards per attempt was this past season?

AT 5'10", he would be the second coming of Flutie...I don't want to go through that again, where the good teams knock the ball down at the line of scrimage on many passes.

I notice this with Brady as well.

I'm extremely high on RW.......no problem taking him in the third. The kid can play....and will.

Flutie didn't win games. The defense in those days won games. Look at Flutie's stats. Look how many points the offense produced. We were winning defensive battles.

Though, I concede, there was something about "Flutie Magic" at the end of close games. Flutie often sucked for 3 Quarters, then played like he was possessed in the 4th.

Flutie was Tebow minus the christianity. 0:)

I really believe Russell Wilson can be a franchise QB. I'd even take him in the 3rd. Here is a great link with the best video I've seen on him: http://nyti.ms/JsHQgh

Now you're talkin'...... :thumbsup:

I saw tape of one game and he was basically throwing it short on every passing play.

Does anyone know what his yards per attempt was this past season?

I will find out, but know that at Thanksgiving time Wilson was leading the nation in yards per attempt (11.1) and yards per completion (15.1) as well as yards of total offense per play (9.9.).

He finished the 2011 season with 10.28 YPA, which was good for third in NCAA.

His offense finished 2011 with 6.7 yards per play, good for sixth in the nation.

Edited by scribo

From the clips I've watched what stood out to me was his vision was always downfield. As you said scribo, he'd find thepassing lanes. He stood in the pocket and delivered and when it wasn't there he'd roll out and deliver a nice ball.

Very composed.....very impressive.

It's Luck, RG3 then it's this kid......get him in the 3rd.

This was my first real glimpse at him and he is quite impressive. Seems very intelligent and confident. Would really love to see the Bills take a chance on him if he is around after the first few rounds.

Did they have video of him growing 4 inches taller?

Wilson can break the Flutie Curse.

What Curse :unsure: ??

Flutie is still among the best QB's that the Bills have had on the team since it's inception . And was also the last QB to play us into the play offs !! Even if the fans can't take off their blinders & see it B-) !!

If any thing i would think if Bills fans would get past there dislike of Flutie (for what ever reason) & realize the talent the guy had , they would see that another player on the team with the same kind of talent wouldn't be a bad thing !!

If you look at what Wilson has done in his career to this point it is hard to argue that the guy isn't a winner , & in the long run isn't that what matters ??

Too if nothing else the guy would be a definite step up at a back up QB from Thigpen :doh: !!

The guy is character all the way & as it's been said here on this blog , if he was 3 to 4 inches taller he would be an easy first round QB if not one of the top QB's right there next to RG3 & Luck ..

2 QB's in this draft are getting a raw deal , those being Wilson (b/c of height) & Weeden (b/c of age) & they say the NFL is equal opportunity :wallbash: !!!

I will find out, but know that at Thanksgiving time Wilson was leading the nation in yards per attempt (11.1) and yards per completion (15.1) as well as yards of total offense per play (9.9.).

He finished the 2011 season with 10.28 YPA, which was good for third in NCAA.

His offense finished 2011 with 6.7 yards per play, good for sixth in the nation.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I can't remember which game it was I saw but he was throwing short… maybe the defense was forcing him to check down.

I just watched some of Wilson's work against Michigan State. He threw an INT which was Nick Toon's fault (Toon never looked for the ball) but the moment the ball was intercepted, instead of getting pissed off or drooping his shoulders in discouragement, Wilson IMMEDIATELY sprinted downfield and tackled the interceptor.

It was a very impressive unguarded glimpse into his character because 99 out of 100 QBs would either have been pissed or downcast. Wilson's ONLY thought was to tackle the ball carrier.

Overall Wilson looked good in that game.