How does a dealership not have a car in stock...?

Fezmid

So I just finished graduate school today (YAY!), and I decided I wanted to test drive a 2012 Dodge Charger because I'm in the market for a new vehicle. So I drive to the local dealership, ask to test drive the car... And I'm told that they sold their only Charger a couple of days ago! :blink: He checks on when they're getting more in, and it appears it'll be weeks. :blink: :blink: It's not like this dealership was tiny -- there were a lot of OTHER cars on the lot (including a few Challengers). And it's not like Dodge isn't heavily advertising the Charger on TV - I've seen several commercials for them over the past few days.

How can you be a dealership and not stock at least one or two of every model the company sells?? :doh:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just finished graduate school today (YAY!), and I decided I wanted to test drive a 2012 Dodge Charger because I'm in the market for a new vehicle. So I drive to the local dealership, ask to test drive the car... And I'm told that they sold their only Charger a couple of days ago! :blink: He checks on when they're getting more in, and it appears it'll be weeks. :blink: :blink: It's not like this dealership was tiny -- there were a lot of OTHER cars on the lot (including a few Challengers). And it's not like Dodge isn't heavily advertising the Charger on TV - I've seen several commercials for them over the past few days.

How can you be a dealership and not stock at least one or two of every model the company sells?? :doh:

Sounds like it has to do with allocation.

Fez, you get that as soon as you sign the sales receipt, the car loses ~ half of its value, right?

Besides people who make a ton and have to think of ways to spend it, I have a bit of a hard time understanding why anyone buys a brand new car. Maybe it's just me....

Fez, you get that as soon as you sign the sales receipt, the car loses ~ half of its value, right?

Besides people who make a ton and have to think of ways to spend it, I have a bit of a hard time understanding why anyone buys a brand new car. Maybe it's just me....

That's actually not true; the cost of used cars has gone way up recently. For kicks, I just went to KBB.com and priced a 2010 Camry XLE v6 -- and they're saying it would cost $25k. Heck, my wife's 2004 Corolla is still worth 1/3 of what we paid for it. If you're looking for real-world examples, I just pulled up a 2002 Camry with 111,000 miles on it for $10k. No thanks.

http://www.usedcars....icleId=13476609

Now that doesn't mean I'm going to spend $33k on a new car -- but I'd at least like to test drive it to see what I think. Chances are I'll stick with my current car awhile longer and buy another Camry when the time comes since I like the reliability, but it's nice to have options, especially since in our house,we don't trade our cars in every few years. :)

That's actually not true; the cost of used cars has gone way up recently. For kicks, I just went to KBB.com and priced a 2010 Camry XLE v6 -- and they're saying it would cost $25k. Heck, my wife's 2004 Corolla is still worth 1/3 of what we paid for it. If you're looking for real-world examples, I just pulled up a 2002 Camry with 111,000 miles on it for $10k. No thanks.

http://www.usedcars....icleId=13476609

Now that doesn't mean I'm going to spend $33k on a new car -- but I'd at least like to test drive it to see what I think. Chances are I'll stick with my current car awhile longer and buy another Camry when the time comes since I like the reliability, but it's nice to have options, especially since in our house,we don't trade our cars in every few years. :)

This is what I found too when I bought my car 2 years ago. I could get a new car for just slightly more than a used car with 10,000+ miles on it. To me it made more sense to go with a new car.

Good luck with your search!

This is what I found too when I bought my car 2 years ago. I could get a new car for just slightly more than a used car with 10,000+ miles on it. To me it made more sense to go with a new car.

Yeah, what she said

I'm in the market for a new car also and have found the price difference between new and late model used isn't what it used to be. When you factor in new car warranty vs remaining warranty (if any) you may actually come out ahead with new.

Plus I'm in no hurry so I can afford to wait for some dealer incentives to knock the price down abit more.

Yeah, what she said

I'm in the market for a new car also and have found the price difference between new and late model used isn't what it used to be. When you factor in new car warranty vs remaining warranty (if any) you may actually come out ahead with new.

Plus I'm in no hurry so I can afford to wait for some dealer incentives to knock the price down abit more.

Well, I agree with you on most cars but if you are looking to buy a 3/4ton or 1 ton pick up truck right now you can make out great. New Lariets and equally equiped packages across the board cost %70k. 3 yr old used with just 50k miles on them you find for $30,000; 50k miles on a diesel is like 10k on a gas motor.

I had the same experience with my daughters Toyota. A used one was only 1 to 2 thousand dollars cheaper than a new one. So I got a new one. Why take a chance.

I used to work for a large dealership for about 4 yrs. Yes it does happen like that sometimes. It depends how popular the car you want is. If its a high end model like the car you want they may carry only 2 or 3 of them simply because they know they are not going to sell alot of them.

Sometimes a dealership close buy( or a neary state) my have the car you looking for. If you go back and ask them ..hey does any of the other dealerships closeby have the car I want? Chances are they will do a dealer trade, swap one car for another. I used to do dealer trades so I know this does happen.

Check into it.

Sometimes a dealership close buy( or a neary state) my have the car you looking for. If you go back and ask them ..hey does any of the other dealerships closeby have the car I want? Chances are they will do a dealer trade, swap one car for another. I used to do dealer trades so I know this does happen.

Well, the dealership told me that if I find the car somewhere else that I should come back to buy from them so that they could do the swap like you mentioned. I was trying to figure out why I would do all of the legwork to give them the sale though....

I'm taking it you're not an economics major... :pirate:

(oops! Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short on that one. Sigh....)

Edited by Lurker