"It's still the economy".......

B-Man

"Four years ago Barack Obama dazzled us in front of Greek columns with sweeping promises of hope and change. But after we came down to earth, after the celebration and parades, what do we have to show for three and a half years of President Obama?

“Is it easier to make ends meet? Is it easier to sell your home or buy a new one? Have you saved what you needed for retirement? Are you making more in your job? Do you have a better chance to get a better job? Do you pay less at the pump?

“If the answer were ‘yes’ to those questions, then President Obama would be running for re-election based on his achievements…and rightly so. But because he has failed, he will run a campaign of diversions, distractions, and distortions. That kind of campaign may have worked at another place and in a different time. But not here and not now. It’s still about the economy …and we’re not stupid.

“People are hurting in America. And we know that something is wrong, terribly wrong with the direction of the country.”

Hot Air

My middle of the road fenceriding friends aren't going BO again this year. Said they have seen enough and won't be held hostage by racism, classism, sexism, or any other guilt inducing strategies employed by the left.

Edited by B-Man

More quotes:

"When it comes to the character of America, President Obama and I have very different visions.

Government is at the center of his vision. It dispenses the benefits, borrows what it cannot take, and consumes a greater and greater share of the economy. With Obamacare fully installed, government will come to control half the economy, and we will have effectively ceased to be a free enterprise society.

This President is putting us on a path where our lives will be ruled by bureaucrats and boards, commissions and czars. He’s asking us to accept that Washington knows best – and can provide all.

We’ve already seen where this path leads. It erodes freedom. It deadens the entrepreneurial spirit. And it hurts the very people it’s supposed to help. Those who promise to spread the wealth around only ever succeed in spreading poverty. Other nations have chosen that path. It leads to chronic high unemployment, crushing debt, and stagnant wages."

There were other areas where Romney made clear he would fight for every inch of ground. He was determined not to allow Obama to own the concept of "fairness" and the attempts to portray him as a callous, out-of-touch plutocrat. He did not, he pointed out, come from a long line of wealthy forbears.

"This America is fundamentally fair. We will stop the unfairness of urban children being denied access to the good schools of their choice;

we will stop the unfairness of politicians giving taxpayer money to their friends’ businesses;

we will stop the unfairness of requiring union workers to contribute to politicians not of their choosing;

we will stop the unfairness of government workers getting better pay and benefits than the taxpayers they serve;

and we will stop the unfairness of one generation passing larger and larger debts on to the next."

"I’ll tell you about how much I love this country, where someone like my dad, who grew up poor and never graduated from college, could pursue his dreams and work his way up to running a great car company.

"Only in America could a man like my dad become governor of the state in which he once sold paint from the trunk of his car."

And the hundreds of millions he had made himself had been hard-earned. "I’d say that you might have heard that I was successful in business. And that rumour is true. But you might not have heard that I became successful by helping start a business that grew from 10 people to hundreds of people.

"You might not have heard that our business helped start other businesses, like Staples and Sports Authority and a new steel mill and a learning center called Bright Horizons. And I’d tell you that not every business made it and there were good days and bad days, but every day was a lesson."

Fox News Insider

Have to be honest, I answered yes to all those questions, and I highly doubt Romney, Obama, or any other poltician would make much of a difference. Savvy people will do well no matter who is it office, the rest will whine about how hard it all is, and the poor will get subsidies....

On second glance, I do not pay less for Gas, however, I budget for $5/gal gas since 2007, so if I don't use the money I roll it over to the next year or use it elsewhere.

Edited by B-Large

He gave away his $1million inheritance he received from his father to his undergrad school (BYU), and has been rather generous in his charity. Of course there is that pesky bit about him actually getting a $42,000.00 loan from his dad so he could buy his firs thouse. That's totally unfair and something that only a rich family would do for their own. It's not like he got a free ride to Columbia and Harvard Law. I wonder how BO feels about his own daughters having been born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Maybe he'll insist that they go to community college somewhere in the deep south to show how fair they all are.

Have to be honest, I answered yes to all those questions, and I highly doubt Romney, Obama, or any other poltician would make much of a difference. Savvy people will do well no matter who is it office, the rest will whine about how hard it all is, and the poor will get subsidies....

As you say B, your answering yes to Romney's questions, reflect more on your hard work than any politicians, and thats certainly to your credit.

However, as I am sure you realize, the majority of Americans would be answering no to most of these questions, and until the philosophy of the whole government is changed (not just one executive) it will probably continue.

I will debate one of your affirmative responses (I guess). Where do you live (generally, of course) where it is now "easier to sell you home" ?

I'm in the Southern Tier of Western New York State and I can't give my house away.

Edited by B-Man

As you say B, your answering yes to Romney's questions, reflect more on your hard work than any politicians, and thats certainly to your credit.

However, as I am sure you realize, the majority of Americans would be answering no to most of these questions, and until the philosophy of the whole government is changed (not just one executive) it will probably continue.

I will debate one of your affirmative responses (I guess). Where do you live (generally, of course) where it is now "easier to sell you home" ?

I'm in the Southern Tier of Western New York State and I can't give my house away.

Denver, about 5 minutes from the acutal City Center. The Real Estate question probably is not a fair one, I probably dont represent the typical homebuyer, since I bought my home in condemned condition and when I buy investment real estate, I typically buy in recessions .... Denver market is probably very different than Southern Tier.... again it is local, right?... Denver, at least in the City rental rates have risen nicely and available properties clear pretty quickly, at least in desirable areas. I am sorry to hear about your house, the areas that have really gotten slammed continue to struggle- my cousins just short sold their house in Phoenix, bought it for 220K, there we comparables in their neighborhood selling for 85-125K.... yikes- alot of the real estate equation is buying the right location at the right times, other times it is sheer luck when you end up in the great place..

Our Government, as you stated probably will not change anytime soon. The Candidates who are really talking differently, real change to the fundamental functioning of the reppresentative body, and doing it consistently throughout the years are getting little play, ie Ron Paul. Heck, the election is 8 months away and these clowns are already pounding their chest about how they have the answers, again, when most of them have been implicit in the problem, too much government. Obama or Romney, Bush or Kerry, McCain,... whomever it may be, I try to keep my nose to the grindstone and stick to MY PLAN..... America will survive and thrive as more and more individuals reject the fallacy that Government can acutally produce something, and get to creating, try, working, investing, and getting organized financially so they can continue to move forward.

I hope my previous post was not taken as in insult about your home situation- you are an astute guy, good people, smart people often got caught in tough places... heck, I am still chipping down at 90K in student loan debt.... talk about dumb moves, LOL.

I love how gas prices are such a crisis to people. If you drive 10,000 miles a year, and have a car that gets reasonable mileage, say 19mpg, gas at $3.75 makes your yearly payment about $2,000. When you put gas up to $5.00 per gallon, your expense goes up to about $2,600. That's what, two paychecks on a $12/hr salary?

I pay $285/mo to Healthy NY for health care that I don't need because there is nothing wrong with me because I'm a healthy 25 year old man. That's $3,400 a year.

If our government provided cheaper healthcare, no one would care about gas prices. But it's easier to point fingers over something that is the least of an average American's yearly expenses, and also the expense the government has the least power to control.

I love how gas prices are such a crisis to people. If you drive 10,000 miles a year, and have a car that gets reasonable mileage, say 19mpg, gas at $3.75 makes your yearly payment about $2,000. When you put gas up to $5.00 per gallon, your expense goes up to about $2,600. That's what, two paychecks on a $12/hr salary?

I pay $285/mo to Healthy NY for health care that I don't need because there is nothing wrong with me because I'm a healthy 25 year old man. That's $3,400 a year.

If our government provided cheaper healthcare, no one would care about gas prices. But it's easier to point fingers over something that is the least of an average American's yearly expenses, and also the expense the government has the least power to control.

1. If $600 annually is breaking you down, in this country, you are doing something wrong. I know people who pay 200/mo. for cable and never go without the new version of the I-phone... when they B word about price per gallon of gas, I want to use that gasoline to torch them.

2. You are a Reponsible American who takes accountability for their future when you buy health insurance. If by some unfortunate turn of event you get cancer, the rest of the nation does get to pay for your treatment because you covered yourself.... my applause for your willingness to hold yourself to account.

The government does not need to make care cheaper, Americans need to prioritize their finances and budget for health insurance. Once people are spending their money on healthcare and not TV's, all of the sudden providers will start hearing about lowering prices of becoming more efficient wiht delivery.

What makes you think that the government can or should provide cheaper healthcare? When a comparison with the private sector can be made is the government ever more efficient?

The government can do something about the cost of energy by opening up federal lands and offshore fields to drilling. Not only would that change the over all world-wide supply bringing down energy prices but it would replace foreign oil with domestic making the U.S. safer and energy independent.

Go look at the tax rates in countries like Canada for example where health care is provided by the government and then come and tell me if it's cheaper or not if the government provides it in contrast to private insurance.

What makes you think that the government can or should provide cheaper healthcare? When a comparison with the private sector can be made is the government ever more efficient?

The government can do something about the cost of energy by opening up federal lands and offshore fields to drilling. Not only would that change the over all world-wide supply bringing down energy prices but it would replace foreign oil with domestic making the U.S. safer and energy independent.

perhaps the better question is who achieves better outcomes per dollar/monetary unit spent? The US outcomes are not as good in various catagories even though we outspend other countries delivering the same care. I think adminstratively single payor is more efficient, but you also don't have the incentives for new products and technologies when you use price controls as your basis for cost. I continue to be amazed how many Americans marvel at our first class, ground breaking treatments and therapies trumpeting the fact be are the "Best", yet they expect Walmart low cost pricing on them.... LOL....

Healthcare costs will not go down until while we continue to live longer, there are more therapies to keep people alive, and we keep people who should pass going on way longer than nature intended.

In my opinion, Healthcare will be the undoing of our Nation. We are completely unprepared to address the scale and potential financial impact of heathcare challenges in this country....

perhaps the better question is who achieves better outcomes per dollar/monetary unit spent? The US outcomes are not as good in various catagories even though we outspend other countries delivering the same care. I think adminstratively single payor is more efficient, but you also don't have the incentives for new products and technologies when you use price controls as your basis for cost. I continue to be amazed how many Americans marvel at our first class, ground breaking treatments and therapies trumpeting the fact be are the "Best", yet they expect Walmart low cost pricing on them.... LOL....

Healthcare costs will not go down until while we continue to live longer, there are more therapies to keep people alive, and we keep people who should pass going on way longer than nature intended.

In my opinion, Healthcare will be the undoing of our Nation. We are completely unprepared to address the scale and potential financial impact of heathcare challenges in this country....

You are far from alone in that opinion.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/296901/medicare-s-dirty-little-secret-douglas-holtz-eakin

Terrifying, Healthcare will break us financially faster than any war, SS or other budget outlay. I have been saying for a decade now, people not only have to save for retirement, they should also think through funding a large amount of cash PAST what private insurance carriers or Medicare can pay- It will come down you having to pay for more of your care than anytime in history... and really, why shouldn't people have to do that? If it is important to you, you will find a way to finance it.

There are alot of people making large amounts of money in our system, that really don't contribute to the quality or cost effectivness of care... we as as society seem to hold that practice sacred.... I have no issue with people making money, we're capitalists, but at what point do we as a society agree money to need to be spent more effectively, not wasting money on TPA's that choke the system of money and muddy it up with adminstrative burden.

I continue to like a system that grants refusal of care waivers more and more. If you don't want to buy insurance and continue policy coverage, and you get sick, tough luck. If you can collateral your home and get the care, great. If you have nothing, try to find a Hospital that will take on charity care. It is time to seperate the people who are responsible and who want to cover their share from those who would rather live in the edge... it appears that is where we are going anyway, and basically where we are, we just don't turn people away.

edit- I also firmly support the practice of large deductibles and insurance to cover catastrophic events. People need to begin budgeting every year for medical payments and expenses, such as labs, physcials, and minor procedures.

Edited by B-Large

You think that gas prices only affect how much it costs you to fill up? And you pay $2,600 for gas for the year, and $3,400 for health insurance. Which is more important? But if you have a problem with health insurance costs, drop it and take your chances. No one said you need to have health insurance. You want it.

And health care costs will continue to rise because the baby boomers are living longer, living longer with expensive diseases, want everything done until the second they die, and because the rest of America takes incredibly poor care of themselves, yet want the latest and greatest, but don't want to pay for it/don't think they have to pay for it. Money doesn't grow on trees and things need to be paid for somehow.

You think that gas prices only affect how much it costs you to fill up? And you pay $2,600 for gas for the year, and $3,400 for health insurance. Which is more important? But if you have a problem with health insurance costs, drop it and take your chances. No one said you need to have health insurance. You want it.

And health care costs will continue to rise because the baby boomers are living longer, living longer with expensive diseases, want everything done until the second they die, and because the rest of America takes incredibly poor care of themselves, yet want the latest and greatest, but don't want to pay for it/don't think they have to pay for it. Money doesn't grow on trees and things need to be paid for somehow.

The issue with that Statement, is if he gets sick he still gets treated, because we as a society do not turn people away, we just shift costs of care..... in the absence of exclusion, one could argue HI is a need.

Except the price of gasoline affects the price of EVERYTHING in this world. How do you think products get to the store? When gas prices double (which they have), that means the cost of getting goods and services to their end points do exactly the same.

The price of gas has a SIGNIFICANT affect on how the world economy works. During the Clinton Administration, oil averaged $17BBL for over 7 years. The world economy went absolutely crazy. Then, with a few months to go, oil prices spiked and the world economy started griding downward in a predictable manner.

Your example is far too simple for reality.