What would happen if

In a conversation with a buddy we got to discussing the draft being broken down over 3 days which led me to this question:

What happens if the Giants are late with their pick at the end of the first round? Can they be late? Do they have until the 2nd round starts on friday to make their pick? Or could the Rams jump the Giants when their time expires?

I know it probably won't happen but it was interesting and intriguing to me so what do you guys think would happen?

Good question! I have no idea. I would guess that there is a rule about it, though. My best guess would be something like there's no jumping of the pick Thursday night, but if the Giants don't get it in on time, they can't submit it until the draft re-opens Friday night. At which point it would be open season between the Giants and Rams as to who picked first.

The Giants have 10 minutes to make their pick. If they don't it is forfeited and the first round is concluded.

On Friday the Rams are on the clock for the 1st pick in the second round.

Edit: Check that. Apparently the rule states that if a team doesn't make it's pick in time that doesn't mean it's forfeited, necessarily. They have the right to jump in anytime after that and make a pick. Regardless of how many other teams proceeded to make picks in the draft order.

Sorry for any confusion.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I could be wrong but I remembering this happening in 09'. I was there so I have a little bit of insight. I might be Remembering wrong though (disclaimer). There was a team that picked 32 in the 2nd round (I think the Pats) and they never made a pick that night. I wanna say they announced the draft would pick up where they left off in round 2 the next day. The only thing is, I "think", whoever it was that was drafting also had the first pick in rnd3 and that's why it was possible. It's years ago and it's not exactly something I was really paying attention to so I MIGHT be wrong. Can anyone help here? Vader? Devildogg? Cash? You were all there as well.

Good question! I have no idea. I would guess that there is a rule about it, though. My best guess would be something like there's no jumping of the pick Thursday night, but if the Giants don't get it in on time, they can't submit it until the draft re-opens Friday night. At which point it would be open season between the Giants and Rams as to who picked first.

Lol. Guess you don't remember either.

The Giants have 10 minutes to make their pick. If they don't it is forfeited and the first round is concluded.

GO BILLS!!!

Is this true?!?!?! It just doesn't seem right. Any other pick would just bleed into the next teams time (remember it happening with the Vikings a few years ago). It would seem unfair to punish the Giants in this manner.

I could be wrong but I remembering this happening in 09'. I was there so I have a little bit of insight. I might be Remembering wrong though (disclaimer). There was a team that picked 32 in the 2nd round (I think the Pats) and they never made a pick that night. I wanna say they announced the draft would pick up where they left off in round 2 the next day. The only thing is, I "think", whoever it was that was drafting also had the first pick in rnd3 and that's why it was possible. It's years ago and it's not exactly something I was really paying attention to so I MIGHT be wrong. Can anyone help here? Vader? Devildogg? Cash? You were all there as well.

I really can't remember... That weekend was such a rush that some of the little details like that escape me. There is, however, one thing I wish I could forget... "With the 11th pick of the 2009 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select Aa..."

Damn.

Edited by devldog131

Is this true?!?!?! It just doesn't seem right. Any other pick would just bleed into the next teams time (remember it happening with the Vikings a few years ago). It would seem unfair to punish the Giants in this manner.

You are correct on this. They wuould not forfeit the pick. They would forfeit the right to thier pick however. Which means they could at that point run up to the podium at any time after and make thier pick, however any other team on the clock after could also do the same until such team finally makes thier pick. Also, before it even makes it's way into the conversation, the player the original team that missed the pick finally picks would then recieve a contract based off where the team was drafting not where he was drafted.

I really can't remember... That weekend was such a rush that some of the little details like that escape me. There is, however, one thing I wish I could forget... "With the 11th pick of the 2009 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select Aa..."

Damn.

Lol..... On a brighter note, glad to see you got your account back in working order again. And with almost no time left before the draft that is.

I wiki'd the 09 draft and the teams and situations don't seem right to me at all so I might be way off. I still feel something like this happened. I didn't come up with this off the top of my head.

Damn Maybin again.

You are correct on this. They wuould not forfeit the pick. They would forfeit the right to thier pick however. Which means they could at that point run up to the podium at any time after and make thier pick, however any other team on the clock after could also do the same until such team finally makes thier pick. Also, before it even makes it's way into the conversation, the player the original team that missed the pick finally picks would then recieve a contract based off where the team was drafting not where he was drafted.

Lol..... On a brighter note, glad to see you got your account back in working order again. And with almost no time left before the draft that is.

I wiki'd the 09 draft and the teams and situations don't seem right to me at all so I might be way off. I still feel something like this happened. I didn't come up with this off the top of my head.

Damn Maybin again.

Yeah, it's good to be back. I just have to make sure that if I change my email address again, I update it on TSW before closing the old account.

Damn Maybin again.

I thought that was the case but its what brought me into the next line of since the second round doesn't start until friday night can the second round teams start running up to the podium until the Giants make their picks? Imagine how mad the NFL and ESPN would be :w00t:

Or do the Giants not get to make their pick until the second round starts up on Friday night once the time expires? That would be the most logical but also give them the advantage of trying to work a trade out all day Friday.

SO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS haha

No. Please see my edit above. I was wrong about the forfeit. It's just that other teams can jump in and make their picks in order while the Giants are making up their minds.

Most famous example is the 2003 Vikings. They had the 7th pick but actually ended up picking 9th because two teams were able to get their selections in in the meantime.

I seem to remember seeing something about 'end of round' declarations before. Obviously it would be a huge advantage to the Giants to be able to work trades, etc. if they had the entire overnight time period before making their pick.

What seemed like a simple question at first has instead become one of the better ones posed on this BB in a long time. Well done.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Yeah, it's good to be back. I just have to make sure that if I change my email address again, I update it on TSW before closing the old account.

Fwi tickers for season tix holders go on sale on May 10th or something like that. Lmk what u wanna do.

Fwi tickers for season tix holders go on sale on May 10th or something like that. Lmk what u wanna do.

Alright. Let me talk to my buddy and my accountant/wife and get back at you.

What's the face value on tix in your section?

Alright. Let me talk to my buddy and my accountant/wife and get back at you.

What's the face value on tix in your section?

Sec 123, row 14, seats 15-16, tix $55 including tax.

It's a good thing I just have random tix stubs laying around my house in multiple places. Lol.

Edited by mrags

No. Please see my edit above. I was wrong about the forfeit. It's just that other teams can jump in and make their picks in order while the Giants are making up their minds.

Most famous example is the 2003 Vikings. They had the 7th pick but actually ended up picking 9th because two teams were able to get their selections in in the meantime.

I seem to remember seeing something about 'end of round' declarations before. Obviously it would be a huge advantage to the Giants to be able to work trades, etc. if they had the entire overnight time period before making their pick.

What seemed like a simple question at first has instead become one of the better ones posed on this BB in a long time. Well done.

GO BILLS!!!

I still don't know the answer though! :P I'm going to see if I can find anything on end of round declarations on the web.

Edit: Check that. Apparently the rule states that if a team doesn't make it's pick in time that doesn't mean it's forfeited, necessarily. They have the right to jump in anytime after that and make a pick. Regardless of how many other teams proceeded to make picks in the draft order.

Sorry for any confusion.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd guess that those rules are in place while the draft is open. To me, when the clock runs out on NYG on thursday night, the draft "closes" until 7pm on friday. At that point, then the Giants would be able to submit their pick again.

Obviously it would be a huge advantage to the Giants to be able to work trades, etc. if they had the entire overnight time period before making their pick.

Boy, I'd like to see a GM with big enough balls to try that one!

It would be really something if a guy like Tannehill slid out of the first round and teams like Miami, etc. were throwing trade offers at the Gints on something like that...

I'd guess that those rules are in place while the draft is open. To me, when the clock runs out on NYG on thursday night, the draft "closes" until 7pm on friday. At that point, then the Giants would be able to submit their pick again.

I can't find anything as google just spits out endless links to mock drafts when I tried searching for it. I would agree that this is probably the answer to the question and where I ended up falling in my discussion.

Boy, I'd like to see a GM with big enough balls to try that one!

It would be really something if a guy like Tannehill slid out of the first round and teams like Miami, etc. were throwing trade offers at the Gints on something like that...

lol I can see it now:

Boomer at 5 am "and were still waiting on confirmation of the Giants plans for pick #32. Our draft coverage will stay with this situation until something develops"

Yeah, I headed out a few picks after we took Byrd so I could get to my friend's party across town. Between that shenanigan and the Levitre pick, I missed out on a lot.

The Vikings took too long in 2003 while discussing their options for their first round pick.

During this delay, both Jacksonville and Carolina made picks at which point Minny got their act together and chose Kevin Williams.

Based on this occurrence, a team which goes over their time limit temporarily forfeits their position to the next team in line and can pick after the team that was behind them makes their pick.

Applying logic and common sense, if the Giants ran out of time on the final pick of round one, the pick would go to St. Louis to end the first round.

The Giants would then have the first pick in round two but would have to make their pick immediately because they had already exhausted their time limit.

I'd bet dimes to donuts that this is how it would be handled.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan