What's Next for Sabres Fans

ajzepp

Okay...so, it is down to a LA Kings/Phoenix Coyotes final in the West, and a combination of either Philly/New Jersey (probably NJ) verses Washington or NY Rangers in the East... Dan Briere is the only thing keeping me interested at this point...I can't stand any of these teams...what kind of crazy, mixed-up world when the Flyers would be the least offensive cup winners? :sick:

btw- suspension for Griroux (sp?)is kind of BS...I don't think he was going for the head...the head was going for his shoulder.

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...so, it is down to a LA Kings/Phoenix Coyotes final in the West, and a combination of either Philly/New Jersey (probably NJ) verses Washington or NY Rangers in the East... Dan Briere is the only thing keeping me interested at this point...I can't stand any of these teams...what kind of crazy, mixed-up world when the Flyers would be the least offensive cup winners? :sick:

btw- suspension for Griroux (sp?)is kind of BS...I don't think he was going for the head...the head was going for his shoulder.

The kind where you're on acid? :lol:

Rooting for the Flyers is like rooting for the Pats, and watching either of them lose is very enjoyable. Also, elbows and heads don't collide by accident very often.

As for ajzeep, Puddy has something he'd like to say to you: :devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7g4cPr0pLo&feature=related

Edited by KD in CT

Damn you, Puddy!!!

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Isn't it time for Brodeur to retire yet? Fux sake.

I really don't hate any of the teams left. Don't think I can root for Phoenix, they have not suffered enough as fans to deserve the Cup. I could get behind LA, NYR, Was or NJ. No real rooting interest, just want to watch some good hockey.

I really don't hate any of the teams left. Don't think I can root for Phoenix, they have not suffered enough as fans to deserve the Cup. I could get behind LA, NYR, Was or NJ. No real rooting interest, just want to watch some good hockey.

I don't buy into this idea of fans deserving championships, but what exactly qualifies as suffering for fans? For those people down there who truly do follow that team, they've now had to deal with the possibility of losing their team on a yearly basis. If that's not suffering, I don't know what is.

I don't buy into this idea of fans deserving championships, but what exactly qualifies as suffering for fans? For those people down there who truly do follow that team, they've now had to deal with the possibility of losing their team on a yearly basis. If that's not suffering, I don't know what is.

The fans in Winnipeg went 15 years without a team so that Phoenix could have a team...Winnipeg Jets were amongst the top in attendance in their previous incarnation...Phoenix has been near the bottom, if not the bottom in attedence for most of their existence...I get your point, I am sure there are a few die-hard Phoenix Coyote fans, their devotion to their team shouldn't be discounted...but you don't think a Cup winning team would be more appreciated in one of the other cities?

I too don't know how you judge level of suffering, but by any measure I don't see how Buffalo isn't at or close to the top of that list. I do know that misery loves company though. Sabres fans have yet to feel the joy of a Cup parade so I'm in the camp of not wanting any city to feel that joy for the first time before we as Sabres fans do. Let's go Devils!!!

An excellent point and one I had not thought of. :beer:

The fans in Winnipeg went 15 years without a team so that Phoenix could have a team...Winnipeg Jets were amongst the top in attendance in their previous incarnation...Phoenix has been near the bottom, if not the bottom in attedence for most of their existence...I get your point, I am sure there are a few die-hard Phoenix Coyote fans, their devotion to their team shouldn't be discounted...but you don't think a Cup winning team would be more appreciated in one of the other cities?

Personally, I don't think any fan or city deserves anything. That kind of thought just leads to the annoying elitist attitudes that are so widespread among hockey fans. A hockey fan in Buffalo, a hockey fan in Winnipeg, a hockey fan in Carolina... they're all the same.

Personally, I don't think any fan or city deserves anything. That kind of thought just leads to the annoying elitist attitudes that are so widespread among hockey fans. A hockey fan in Buffalo, a hockey fan in Winnipeg, a hockey fan in Carolina... they're all the same.

Oh, I generally agree with the sentiment about fans not 'deserviving' a championship.

But I disagree w/ the last sentence. Those 12 Canes fans are, for the most part, d-bags. ;)

Though the 20 or so Cats fans are alright in my book.

Oh, I generally agree with the sentiment about fans not 'deserviving' a championship.

But I disagree w/ the last sentence. Those 12 Canes fans are, for the most part, d-bags. ;)

Though the 20 or so Cats fans are alright in my book.

I have to agree. Come to a Sabres game down here, be on your best behavior, and see how you're treated not only by a lot of the fans, but by the ushers and concession workers as well. D-bags abound at PNC arena.

I have to agree. Come to a Sabres game down here, be on your best behavior, and see how you're treated not only by a lot of the fans, but by the ushers and concession workers as well. D-bags abound at PNC arena.

There's still pissed about all the babies we ate down there back in 2006.

LA, those poor sports fans have lost two NFL franchises. <_<

It's no secret that the NHL, as a league, is pretty much carried by about half the teams in the NHL...there is marginal interest in the game, outside of areas where there is no team. Franchises like the Phoenix Coyotes, always near the bottom (if not the very bottom) of league in attendance, ...maybe a Cup solidifies their base, but, I am pretty sure Carolina's numbers have dipped to their low levels again...these teams don't draw all that well in their home towns, and are not much of a draw on the road. So, while I can appreciate the hundreds of die-hard fans many of these teams have, their success does little to enhance the league.

Edited by Buftex

It's no secret that the NHL, as a league, is pretty much carried by about half the teams in the NHL...there is marginal interest in the game, outside of areas where there is no team. Franchises like the Phoenix Coyotes, always near the bottom (if not the very bottom) of league in attendance, ...maybe a Cup solidifies their base, but, I am pretty sure Carolina's numbers have dipped to their low levels again...these teams don't draw all that well in their home towns, and are not much of a draw on the road. So, while I can appreciate the hundreds of die-hard fans many of these teams have, their success does little to enhance the league.

It's going to be like that for every league. The big money cities drive every league. Bills fans are quite the die hard group. Would success in Buffalo enhance the league in any way? No, it wouldn't. It's only victories by the NYs, Bostons, and LAs of the world that wind up drawing more eyes.

Besides being well attended at home, are teh Sabres that much of a better draw for other teams on the road? Are Sabres/Panthers games in Florida being sold at Platinum Ticket levels? In Dallas? In Calgary? In Washington? In Minneosota? Sure the Sabres fans in those areas might help with attendance to some of those games, but are those teams fans making sure that they include the games against the Sabres in their mini packs because they can't wait to see the Sabres come to town?

Besides being well attended at home, are teh Sabres that much of a better draw for other teams on the road? Are Sabres/Panthers games in Florida being sold at Platinum Ticket levels? In Dallas? In Calgary? In Washington? In Minneosota? Sure the Sabres fans in those areas might help with attendance to some of those games, but are those teams fans making sure that they include the games against the Sabres in their mini packs because they can't wait to see the Sabres come to town?

Not since Hasek left town.

Also, The Coyotes attendance wasn't always as bad as its been. The location of the new arena was a mistake, and with the constant talk of new owners and the team never knowing if they will be relocating next season, its not an easy sell to find people wanting to pay for season tickets. The Sabres didn't always sell out HSBC, and they had lean times too. It took a team almost making it to the finals after the lockout (being possible an injured defencemen or 2 away from a cup appearance and possible win) to get the fan base excited to the point of a waiting list for Season tickets.

Also, The Coyotes attendance wasn't always as bad as its been. The location of the new arena was a mistake, and with the constant talk of new owners and the team never knowing if they will be relocating next season, its not an easy sell to find people wanting to pay for season tickets. The Sabres didn't always sell out HSBC, and they had lean times too. It took a team almost making it to the finals after the lockout (being possible an injured defencemen or 2 away from a cup appearance and possible win) to get the fan base excited to the point of a waiting list for Season tickets.

I will find it again, but the Sabres were in the top half of attendance as a road team, and near the top in home attendance...I suspect that all the Buffalo transplants all over the country make them a decent attraction on the road. Whenever you see them on tv, playing teams in the sun belt, it almost always sounds like a home game.

Also, WNY is one of the top NHL hockey tv viewing areas for national games. As I recall, Phoenix was dead last in attendance this year, despite having a very good season. I realize the Sabres had lean times as well, but when you consider the size of the market, and the fact that, in reality, the team has had very little success on ice, they are still a remarkable draw.