Curtis Modkins - Is He Needed?

Chan Gailey said he himself calls the plays on the field. He also said his first year with us that he will hire someone to fill in the "role" of offensive coordinator but ultimately it will be Chan himself calling the shots.

My questions are,

1. Who is Curtis Modkins? Does anyone know of him before the Bills?

2. Is he the reason for the plays on field as far as slant passes and screens?

3. Did he have anything to do with Freddy and C.J. having a great season last year?

And ultimately

4. Is he needed or can we upgrade?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan Gailey said he himself calls the plays on the field. He also said his first year with us that he will hire someone to fill in the "role" of offensive coordinator but ultimately it will be Chan himself calling the shots.

My questions are,

3. Did he have anything to do with Freddy and C.J. having a great season last year?

And ultimately

He's the OC and Running Back coach. He was a college coach at TCU and Georgia Tech when Gailey was there. He was also an assistant with Gailey when he was with the Cowboys and Chiefs. He also was an assistant in Arizona. He is being groomed to be a legit Offensive Coordinator. Gailey said he would one day turn over the duties of an OC. Like Whaley for G.M. Modkins is being groomed.

He's the OC and Running Back coach. He was a college coach at TCU and Georgia Tech when Gailey was there. He was also an assistant with Gailey when he was with the Cowboys and Chiefs. He also was an assistant in Arizona. He is being groomed to be a legit Offensive Coordinator. Gailey said he would one day turn over the duties of an OC. Like Whaley for G.M. Modkins is being groomed.

Well that just answers the who is Curtis Modkins question which I'm sorry to say was kind of a rhetorical question. I could Google that (and I have). The question was more towards people who follow Georgia tech football.

But I appreciate the input so now my question to your response is, in the NFL do we have "time to waste" on grooming coaches when there are proven coordinators out there?

Well that just answers the who is Curtis Modkins question which I'm sorry to say was kind of a rhetorical question. I could Google that (and I have). The question was more towards people who follow Georgia tech football.

But I appreciate the input so now my question to your response is, in the NFL do we have "time to waste" on grooming coaches when there are proven coordinators out there?

it is conceivable that modkins is a trusted friend of chan's, whom he is depending on to teach the offense that he wants to run to his players. curtis modkins could also be teaching general fundamentals, concepts and tecniques to his offensive players. if this is the case than i think he serves a very valuable purpose for this team. if he is "getting chan's coffee", then not so much.

Where do you see that it's a waste of time?

Because he doesn't call plays he's a schlub being taught how to do the job? This is actually a pretty common set up

Because he doesn't call plays he's a schlub being taught how to do the job? This is actually a pretty common set up

If being called an offensive coordinator while being groomed to be an offensive coordinator is a shlub in my book...

Good title for this thread...

I see you've wasted yours on it...

Groomed by Gailey?!!! :w00t:

Gailey has to show me he knows what the f#@! he's doing before he passes the torch to his flunkie.

At this moment in time, I wouldn't let Gailey groom a dead cat. My apologies to all the Chanatics out there.

My point to this topic is I dont know who the hell this Modkins dude is from a hole in the wall and wanted to know if there were people who knew of him more detailed like say a GT fan or something. None of you know how much input this guy really has in the offense yet you're ready to give him a household name like Schottenheimer...

Having the title OC/RB coach doesn't mean he's THE answer... Every position is upgradeable. I just find his to stand out more than others. You should thank me for coming up with this topic instead of "who would you draft" type questions and saying things like the title of the thread should be called time to waste (lurker).

So, you're welcome...

If being called an offensive coordinator while being groomed to be an offensive coordinator is a shlub in my book...

I see you've wasted yours on it...

A huge percentage of offensive head coaches call plays. You see the same thing in many of the most explosive offenses (green bay and new orleans for example). I think you don't understand what a small percentage the actual play calls can be. Scheming, scouting, coaching Technique, running practice, player evaluation etc...

My point to this topic is I dont know who the hell this Modkins dude is from a hole in the wall and wanted to know if there were people who knew of him more detailed like say a GT fan or something. None of you know how much input this guy really has in the offense yet you're ready to give him a household name like Schottenheimer...

Having the title OC/RB coach doesn't mean he's THE answer... Every position is upgradeable. I just find his to stand out more than others. You should thank me for coming up with this topic instead of "who would you draft" type questions and saying things like the title of the thread should be called time to waste (lurker).

So, you're welcome...

Only problem is you equate "I don't know" to equal "he's not good"

My questions are,

And ultimately

Fred's and CJ's stats speak to #4.

It does not matter whether you or anyone else thinks he is necessary.

It's up to Chan. Chan obviously feels he is, so I am not sure why you would even waste a breath on trying to determine whether he is. You don't have the necessary information in order to make an intelligent hypothesis.

Threads like this really amuse me.

Edited by Show Me The Baby

Why would a proven coordinator come to a losing team without a top ten QB to be a coordinator on a team where he doesn't get to call the plays?

I don't think gailey is going to let anyone else call the offense. I think the way he worded it was (paraphrasing) "I am going to get it to where I want it to be, then pass the duties on. But I want to get the offense to where I want it first."

There is no point in bringing in a "proven coordinator." Doing that would change up the whole offense. no proven coordinator is going to come in and do the same thing chan is doing. he is going to want to bring in his own playbook. I think it is a waste of time to bring in a proven coordinator at this point, because we would basically be starting over. we already got a proven coordinator on the team, he just also happens to be the HC.