case keenum

b-unit

Why is there no talk of this guy i dont know much about him but what i heard of him was he broke records anyone know about him

Spread QB in college. Doesn't translate to NFL. Played in C-USA. Not exactly A-1 talent.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I get so tired of people assuming that QB's that come from the spread won't work in the NFL. That's a stereotype that just isn't true. Keenum has much more upside than Tannehill.

I agree with your first two sentences.

I've watched a lot of Tannehill and Keenum when they played college ball. Trust me, Keenum will last longer in this league. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tannehill drop out of the 1st round on Thursday.

I've watched a lot of Tannehill and Keenum when they played college ball. Trust me, Keenum will last longer in this league. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tannehill drop out of the 1st round on Thursday.

Don't get me wrong -- I don't think either of them will be franchise quarterbacks.

I'm a little leery of QBs who put up huge numbers like that. How will they deal with adversity? In the words of Phil Simms (speaking of then-rookie Eli Manning), "He is a young quarterback, and young quarterbacks will struggle in the National Football League."

I get so tired of people assuming that QB's that come from the spread won't work in the NFL. That's a stereotype that just isn't true. Keenum has much more upside than Tannehill.

Well that opinion is from NFL GMs. Bill Polian just said it on ESPN yesterday. The feeling is guys like Keenum would be lost in the NFL. The Spread is like 2-hand touch. That crap doesn't work in the pros. Keenum may have potential but he would have to practically relearn how to play QB.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Well that opinion is from NFL GMs. Bill Polian just said it on ESPN yesterday. The feeling is guys like Keenum would be lost in the NFL. The Spread is like 2-hand touch. That crap doesn't work in the pros. Keenum may have potential but he would have to practically relearn how to play QB.

PTR

So what does it mean when Pat Kirwan says the transition is overstated because most teams in the NFL run versions of the spread in various packages?

So what does it mean when Pat Kirwan says the transition is overstated because most teams in the NFL run versions of the spread in various packages?

Polian = NFL GM with history of building winners.

Kirwin = ex-scout and HS coach.

You tell me what it means.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Polian = NFL GM with history of building winners.

Kirwin = ex-scout and HS coach.

You tell me what it means.

PTR

I don't think there will be much choice going forward. Pop Warner teams are running the spread. Let's take a look at quarterbacks taken in the first three rounds since 2009:

2009:

Stafford

Sanchez

Freeman (spread)

White (spread)

2010:

Bradford (spread)

Tebow (spread)

Clausen

McCoy (spread)

2011:

Newton (spread)

Locker (spread 2/4 years)

Gabbert (spread)

Ponder

Dalton (spread)

Kaepernick (spread)

Mallett (spread)

Surely, some of these guys are going to succeed, considering the majority of quarterbacks coming out (at least for the forseeable future) will come from a spread background. Of course there will always be exceptions from the standard line of thinking, but your argument that it "doesn't translate" is straight outta 1993.

Edited by GOBILLS78

I don't think there will be much choice going forward. Pop Warner teams are running the spread. Let's take a look at quarterbacks taken in the first three rounds since 2009:

2009:

Stafford

Sanchez

Freeman (spread)

White (spread)

2010:

Bradford (spread)

Tebow (spread)

Clausen

McCoy (spread)

2011:

Newton (spread)

Locker (spread 2/4 years)

Gabbert (spread)

Ponder

Dalton (spread)

Kaepernick (spread)

Mallett (spread)

Surely, some of these guys are going to succeed, considering the majority of quarterbacks coming out (at least for the forseeable future) will come from a spread background. Of course there will always be exceptions from the standard line of thinking, but your argument that it "doesn't translate" is straight outta 1993.

You know a lot of the names you cite aren't exactly bolstering your argument. Newton and Dalton are doing well but the rest are not a glowing endorsement of spread QBs in the NFL.

But hey, it's a big wide wonderful world full of opinions. You think Case Keenum will be great. Bill Polian disagrees. Let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It's a big wide wonderful world full of opinions. You think Case Keenum will be great. Bill Polian disagrees. Let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

PTR

I said all but the opposite of that, but hey let's put the "Kumbaya" cassette in your Walkman and boogie. Ya dig?

Also, just saw your edited post. I'm saying more quarterbacks are coming from spread backgrounds, so there will come a day when the "it doesn't translate" argument will be moot.

The names listed weren't used to imply that spread quarterbacks are successful in the NFL. Those are just the guys who were drafted (in the first three rounds).

Edited by GOBILLS78