Vontaze Burfict Story

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else read the article about him in ESPN the Magazine? I've never been a fan (he always looked slow in games and subsequently was found to be slow at the combine and at his pro day), but before reading the article I decided I'd go in completely open-minded. The article instead made him look even worse in my eyes; like a petulant man-child. Granted, many solid linebackers had bad combine/pro day numbers, but this guy brings with him lots (and lots) of baggage.

Well...The Steelers and Ravens are both 3-4 Teams...So it's at least a lot more possible than Burfict making it in Buffalo as a SLOW OLB in an NFL 4-3...The Ravens would actually be a GREAT place for that Kid to land...Ray Lewis would keep him steady... B-)

Anybody else read the article about him in ESPN the Magazine? I've never been a fan (he always looked slow in games and subsequently was found to be slow at the combine and at his pro day), but before reading the article I decided I'd go in completely open-minded. The article instead made him look even worse in my eyes; like a petulant man-child. Granted, many solid linebackers had bad combine/pro day numbers, but this guy brings with him lots (and lots) of baggage.

Is this in the latest issue? I haven't begun reading it yet.

Or Ravens and become the next Ray Lewis?

The comparison to Ray Lewis, or to even suggest he could become the next Lewis, is laughable at best, and an insult to Lewis.

Lewis was a high producing player on one of the best teams in the country. He was an All-American as a true Freshman, and never looked back. He slid to pick #26 because teams thought he was a little short.

Burfict has produced nothing in his college career but a few stupid penalties, and was even benched, on a mid-level program.

He has done nothing to warrant any comparisons to good players, especially not the greatest MLB of all time.

I would take a Punter over this kid.

The comparison to Ray Lewis, or to even suggest he could become the next Lewis, is laughable at best, and an insult to Lewis.

Lewis was a high producing player on one of the best teams in the country. He was an All-American as a true Freshman, and never looked back. He slid to pick #26 because teams thought he was a little short.

Burfict has produced nothing in his college career but a few stupid penalties, and was even benched, on a mid-level program.

He has done nothing to warrant any comparisons to good players, especially not the greatest MLB of all time.

I would take a Punter over this kid.

Ray Lewis was first team All Freshman All American, not All American, and only started five games. Burfict was also first team All Freshman All American. Lewis was first team All American (AP) as a sophomore. Burfict was first team All American (Sporting News) as a sophomore and Pac 10 defensive MVP. Just sayin.'

Not that I think Burfict is anywhere close to the prospect now that Lewis was, nor do I think the Bills should draft him before the 7th round. But they were very similar talents at that time in their careers.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

i also enjoyed that he was in vegas during the interview - as opposed to keeping a low profile and creating a positive image. i know business can bring you there, but you think this kid, after admitting he didnt take his workouts seriously and getting zero private invitations would keep his location a bit more hush hush unless it was a great reason to be there (and then focus on that in the interview).

i also enjoyed that he was in vegas during the interview - as opposed to keeping a low profile and creating a positive image. i know business can bring you there, but you think this kid, after admitting he didnt take his workouts seriously and getting zero private invitations would keep his location a bit more hush hush unless it was a great reason to be there (and then focus on that in the interview).

Not sure the reason he was there in Vegas, but on the surface, that was incredibly stupid.

Maybe it was a comparison to Ray Lewis's all Pro ability to hide criminal activity. Better be careful about insulting Lewis or his friends may kill you while he looks away.

Ray Lewis was first team All Freshman All American, not All American, and only started five games. Burfict was also first team All Freshman All American. Lewis was first team All American (AP) as a sophomore. Burfict was first team All American (Sporting News) as a sophomore and Pac 10 defensive MVP. Just sayin.'

Not that I think Burfict is anywhere close to the prospect now that Lewis was, nor do I think the Bills should draft him before the 7th round. But they were very similar talents at that time in their careers.

Fair enough. My point was that Lewis started strong and only got better. Burfict started strong as a hyped up High School prospect, and has gone straight down.

Fair enough. My point was that Lewis started strong and only got better. Burfict started strong as a hyped up High School prospect, and has gone straight down.

Burfict was great as a sophomore in college, and is one season removed from it. How can you possibly say that he was a great HS prospect and gone straight down when he went straight up for two straight years from that point? First team All American.

He has been in a free fall for one full year.