Another opinion on Fitz

eball

Right, but didn't Jim Kelly think Trent Edwards was good, or something?

I like Fitz, and I love what he showed us the first half of the year. But still, we need more results than that, so hopefully he can put together a full season like he's shown us he's capable of. If he can't this year, then we really need to look at other options.

Yep and draft a Legitimate QB this year.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Slam Sports

Super Mario impresses at Bills workout - By John Kryk, QMI Agency

Fitzpatrick said he is healed from whatever mid-section injury (which he won't disclose) he suffered in the middle of last season.

Fitzpatrick's play dropped off dramatically after getting crushed on a hit Oct. 30 against the Washington Redskins at the Rogers Centre. His QB rating was 97.8 before that, but 66.5 thereafter, as the Bills lost eight of their final nine games in a 6-10 season.

It was an injury so severe that sometimes Fitzpatrick "barely could say a full play under one breath" in the huddle, Johnson told me last month.

But now?

"Yeah, I'm 100% and feeling great," Fitzpatrick said

---------------

He's not a Super Star but I'm good with Fitz until we have a better option.

Thanks for posting, eball!

I posted an analysis about a year ago of the length of time it took successful QB who were drafted in the 1st round, to succeed (I explained how I defined succeed) vs later round draftees.

The interesting thing was that while 1st round draftees typically succeeded ~2 years worth of games, successful later round draftees took more like 3-5 years of games (there are exceptions of course).

In terms of how much he's seen the field, Fitz is right about where a "typical" late round success story is before "making it".

So I think this is a critical year for Fitz - either he continues his play of the 1st half of last season or even improves it, or he shows he's plateaued.

In the same light, it's kind of a critical year for Bradford with the Rams. He was a #1 pick. It's his 3rd year. The team is overall bad, and has just made a coaching change.

The fans have been cutting him a break because he's spending so much time on his keister, but his statistics are similar to Colt McCoy, whom people call a "bust" and call loudly for drafting Tannehill.

He needs to show improvement.

Yes, I love Fitz but realistically this is THE pivotal year.

Does he continue a Rich Gannon-like journey towards excellence or is he just another journeyman?

On the subject of Bradford (because as a St Louis-area person, you've commented on him frequently), I cut him a lot of slack not only because of the disappointing offensive line last year but also due to a lack of targets in the passing game and the fact that he had a new OC last year and no offseason to learn the new offense. That's a pretty tough deal for a 2nd year QB. Bradford will have his 3rd OC in 3 years this year.

Bradford did very well under former OC Pat Shurmur but had a bad year in a new, injury-depleted offense under Josh McDaniels who in my eyes, has yet to prove himself a competent offensive mind.

I think 95% of last years' collapse (and not just Fitz but the whole team) was driven by the injuries to Fitz, Wood, and Jackson.

Not to mention that after the trade of Lee Evans, Donald Jones, Roscoe Parrish, and Marcus Easley went down to injury. Last year's receiving corps at one point featured running back CJ Spiller and QB Brad Smith.

People (not you) seem to seriously dismiss the affect of multiple injuries at virtually every offensive position last year.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan