Quote from Buddy in player character article

showmeSP

Senator I agree with you that Nix won't go with Floyd. Part of it due to too many red flags for Nixley's taste. Perhaps Floyd is truly on a better path now but I doubt Nix will risk it. Also Floyd (if I'm correct) doesn't have the speed we're looking for to stretch the field. Buddy wanted Meachem for this purpose. Easley could be our man for this but we shall see.

Floyd's best time in the 40 was 4.38. He ran officially a 4.47 at the combine with some clocking him at 4.42. That is plenty fast, especially for a guy who is 6' 3" 225 or so.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82630&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Floyd's best time in the 40 was 4.38. He ran officially a 4.47 at the combine with some clocking him at 4.42. That is plenty fast, especially for a guy who is 6' 3" 225 or so.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82630&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

Thanks for the info Kelly. For some reason I had it in my head that he was quite a bit slower. Interesting...

Hey, remind me of where on this arbirtrary-but-obviously-very-rigid character spectrum Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith and Thurman Thomas sit. You know, the guys whose missteps have been well recounted here, from alcoholism, to falling asleep in traffic, to womanizing, to plenty of downtown Fredonia exploits. In the NFL, you either perform or you don't, and if you do, all you have to do is not get caught doing something too dumb. I'm not saying they should draft Floyd, nor am I saying they shouldn't, but the only thing the Bills should be concerned about is whether these guys let any outside factors impact their work. I'd be much more concerned about a guy with a domestic abuse history than a guy who has smoked marijuana before, and I would be looking for evidence of a personal change in the situation Floyd is in. You can't write everyone off for not being a choirboy when you employ a lot of people for whom athletics is a best, last chance.

Good post. I think you make a very good point about some former Bills. Bruce played the vast majority of his career while being one strike away from a 1 year suspension. None of those guys were choir boys, but they had 'football' character, which is what Marv always meant by the word. They took care of their football business on and off the field.

But it's a different animal today. If The Senator is correct (and I have no reason to believe he isn't) then Floyd is one more drunk driving conviction from actually facing jail time, let alone league punishment. I can certainly see reasons for not wanting to take that risk on a player you would hope to be with you for years.

GO BILLS!!!

Hey, remind me of where on this arbirtrary-but-obviously-very-rigid character spectrum Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith and Thurman Thomas sit. You know, the guys whose missteps have been well recounted here, from alcoholism, to falling asleep in traffic, to womanizing, to plenty of downtown Fredonia exploits. In the NFL, you either perform or you don't, and if you do, all you have to do is not get caught doing something too dumb. I'm not saying they should draft Floyd, nor am I saying they shouldn't, but the only thing the Bills should be concerned about is whether these guys let any outside factors impact their work. I'd be much more concerned about a guy with a domestic abuse history than a guy who has smoked marijuana before, and I would be looking for evidence of a personal change in the situation Floyd is in. You can't write everyone off for not being a choirboy when you employ a lot of people for whom athletics is a best, last chance.

If you read the entirety of my post you would see where I actually stated that I was not looking for a "choirboy" or anyone living in the morality spectrum of someone such as Tebow, and I went on to say that I would not dismiss someone's potential based upon youthful mistakes, as I admitted I have plenty of my own, but did stipulate that integrity, ala character, should be in great demand. As for marijuana, what concerns me is not the "use" of it or "abuse" of it, but its legality. Again, we can debate all day long whether it SHOULD be legal or if it should REMAIN illegal, that is a different debate entirely, as it stands it remains criminalized and therefore it should be eschewed by all NFL athletes understanding not only the legal entanglements that could ensue but the stigma associated with it as a professional athelete....if and when marijuana becomes fully legal to use, I could care less about someone's personal (and thereby moral) judgment of using marijuana, at that point it becomes much like alcohol - if it doesn't affect your professional duties or cause you to harm another person, then by all means use responsibly.....but UNTIL marijuana becomes a fully legal substance administered in open public without a medical prescription in all these United States, it IS a legal and criminal issue....so that means it's a character, or in our terms an integrity, issue because abiding by the laws of our nation, whether we agree with them or not is a basic requirement of being a citizen let along a sports icon...sorry, but I don't think we can advocate for committing a criminal act AND paying an individual millions of dollars to be a public figure, you don't get to have it both ways....integrity is doing what is basically just or proper in the face of adversity....and once again, I don't think we should have to sacrifice integrity/character for talent....BOTH are equally important, I don't think we should have to sacrifice talent for integrity either....our standards should remain high on both counts, integrity should be non-negotiable for a sports figure making millions of dollars and playing a game and we should also expect the elite players to be gifted to play their said sport....just IMO