Doom Metal

ajzepp

I've always thought of my taste in music as pretty eclectic, but I'm finding out lately that it's not as eclectic as I thought it was. I had never even heard the term "dubstep" until about four months ago, even though I was listening to a few artists that fall on the fringes of that type of music (e.g. DeadMau5). I've just recently ordered some music by Nero, which is a more typical example of dubstep from what I've been told, and I really enjoy it.

Well tonight I was having a conversation with a fellow headphone enthusiast on head-fi.org. He was telling me that his favorite genres were thrash, classic rock, and doom metal (particularly "epic" doom). I didn't listen to a lot of metal growing up because it was just too hard to avoid all the satanic/demonic stuff. I have friends who are into it, but it's just not my thing. When I started looking more into doom metal tonight, several of its aspects appeal to me. I like music that is very intense, but with a slower and more deliberate tempo. I like that it's predominantly guitars, drums, and strong vocals...and I also like the idea that it focuses on dark, painful emotions and human experiences. I think you can do all that without having to involve the demonic/religious stuff in there.

I started looking at some lists of the top Doom bands so that I can get a feel for where to start. I came across a couple that stood out to me - Saint Vitus and My Dying Bride. I reviewed some of the lyrics and listened to some of the tracks on youtube. I wouldn't want to listen to it all the time, but since the basic idea of the music is something I find interesting, I'm thinking about ordering a few albums and spending some time with it.

I know there are metal heads amongst us, so I was hoping some of my fellow TBD'ers could chime in with some experiences and recommendations.