seems the dollar shave club isn't that great of a deal...

The Poojer

Thanks for posting that Pooj! I thought the dollar shave club was a little overhyped when I looked into it. Cheaper yes, but not by much. Just went to the Dorco website linked in the story and ordered the 6 blade razor and 32 cartridges for $31.50, free shipping, no tax. Will report back after trying them. But that is less than half of what I pay for Gillette Fusion at Sam's Club.

Thanks for posting that Pooj! I thought the dollar shave club was a little overhyped when I looked into it. Cheaper yes, but not by much. Just went to the Dorco website linked in the story and ordered the 6 blade razor and 32 cartridges for $31.50, free shipping, no tax. Will report back after trying them. But that is less than half of what I pay for Gillette Fusion at Sam's Club.

I am thinking of ordering these. I like the 6 blade concept, but wonder if they'll clog. I also wonder if I would be able to shave the bottom of my sideburns with precision, or if i would need the trimmer cartridges? I'll be waiting for your review!

The original shaving thread had my attention a few weeks back. I waited till I was nearly all out of shaving cream and razors and went to town on my amazon account. My double edge safety razor, brush, soap, blades and stand arrive Wednesday. Can't wait to mutilate my face as I learn to shave the way my grandfather shaves.

Edited by Corp000085

BTW, I contacted Dorcousa.com and asked them if their razor handles are interchangeable with their cartridges, i.e. can you use a 3-blade cartridge with a 4- or 6 blade handle, and vice versa. They said yes. They also offered me a 10% off coupon. The problem is, it expires at the end of the month and they are out of stock with everything. Seems pretty disingenuous, but I'll still give them a try after I hear BLWM's review.

So, I ordered from Dorco last Friday and received the razor and blades on Wednesday using the free shipping option. So far so good. Shave #1 this morning and I have to say I'm encouraged. I have used the Gillette Fusion razor (5 blades) for several years. This razor did not feel cheap. It felt almost the same weight as the Gillette and the blades were a standard width. This is a 6 blade system. Not sure what the extra blades do for you and the 4 blade might work just as well. Bottom line is I received a shave equivalent to my Gillette and that is all I was looking for as the Dorco blades are less than half the price of the Gillette. The razor's pivot is a little less than the Gillette but it contoured my face and got where it needed to go. The lubricating strip is a joke as it was bone dry but I never found those of any value anyway as they would dry up in 2 or 3 uses with the other blades. No irritation to speak of and no clogging as I rinsed the blades. The only other test is whether the Dorco blades last as long as I try to get 2 weeks out of each shave cartridge. I'll report back again on that. Right now I feel as if I just cut my annual expense for shaving in half.

So, I ordered from Dorco last Friday and received the razor and blades on Wednesday using the free shipping option. So far so good. Shave #1 this morning and I have to say I'm encouraged. I have used the Gillette Fusion razor (5 blades) for several years. This razor did not feel cheap. It felt almost the same weight as the Gillette and the blades were a standard width. This is a 6 blade system. Not sure what the extra blades do for you and the 4 blade might work just as well. Bottom line is I received a shave equivalent to my Gillette and that is all I was looking for as the Dorco blades are less than half the price of the Gillette. The razor's pivot is a little less than the Gillette but it contoured my face and got where it needed to go. The lubricating strip is a joke as it was bone dry but I never found those of any value anyway as they would dry up in 2 or 3 uses with the other blades. No irritation to speak of and no clogging as I rinsed the blades. The only other test is whether the Dorco blades last as long as I try to get 2 weeks out of each shave cartridge. I'll report back again on that. Right now I feel as if I just cut my annual expense for shaving in half.

Thanks for the review. Since they're still out of stock and probably won't have anything in before your 2-week evaluation, I'll wait until you finish it before I order them. If things are still good with you, I'll order the 6-blade with trimmer combo pack (shaver plus 10 cartridges) because it's just $1 more than without the trimmer and I want to see if the trimmer is worth it (I hope not), along with 24 6-blade non-trimmer cartridges to get it above $25. They gave me an extension on the 10% coupon, so I'll pay a little over $25 for 34 cartridges. :thumbsup:

Day 2 with my safety razor. At $4 for a pack of 10 blades and a razor that will last 50 years, it's not a bad deal. No cuts yet and my face is smoother than it was with my fusion

Also good to know.

How much is the upfront cost?

I paid $45 for the razor. It came with 5 blades, but blades generally run $0.50 per blade. Adjustable double edge razors and antique razors can run over $150 though. There seems to be a very large marker for antique razors. $5 for soap, but you can get cheaper stuff for $1-2. I bought a razor/brush stand for $20. The brush cost me $15, but I got a bargain brush. Decent ones start around $25. Including shipping, i paid around $85. I'm hoping to break even within the year, based on the cost of Gillete Fusion cartridges.

• 1 month later...

Okay, ordered 2 6-blade with trimmer razor packs (includes 10 blades in each pack), a 3-blade pack and a 4-blade pack. I tried them all. Found the 6-blade to be the only acceptable one, and it was a really good shave. The trimmer is useless, so I'll just order without next time and save some more money.