How to draft a QB

I'm not sure if anyone has been following this series by Brian Billick on NFL.com.. I'm about halfway through it right now and its a really good read.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

If you've got the time I would recommend it. There is some pretty good insight from a former coach who had been around the league for the past couple decades. Considering the Bills may find themselves in this situation in the next couple of years, it gave me a lot to think about.

Buffalo is a particularly interesting case study. In 2004, they traded away their 2005 first-round pick so they could move up to get Tulane quarterback J.P. Losman. The pick they dealt ended up being the 20th pick in the 2005 draft, four ahead of where Rodgers was taken. Losman started only one year (2006) in Buffalo and has a career completion rate under 60 percent with more interceptions than touchdowns. The Cowboys ended up taking Marcus Spears with the pick. The Bills suffered through four different starters at quarterback and as many head coaches on the way to a 42-74 record. Only the Browns and Raiders have been worse over that period of time.

Edited by Billsrhody

That was the first thought that popped into my head.

My real question. What successful QB has Billick drafted?

Well the half the article is pointing out how difficult it is to draft a QB.. I cant think of any good QBs that he drafted off the top of my head. He missed big time on Kyle Boller.

Well the half the article is pointing out how difficult it is to draft a QB.. I cant think of any good QBs that he drafted off the top of my head. He missed big time on Kyle Boller.

Who drafted Boller-Billick or Ozzie Newsome?

Part 4 has been posted, and specifically talks about Boller. Not a bad read.

That was the first thought that popped into my head.

My real question. What successful QB has Billick drafted?

Good question. Not sure why he doesn't just say, "Hey, if the guy can throw it through the opposing goal posts while kneeling on the 50, draft his ass."