Bill Walsh's Draftisms

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Lombardi was talking about the team building strategies of Al Davis the other day, as well. I love learning about this sort of thing.

I just read this, and I have to say, I was underwhelmed. Most if not all of that strikes me as common sense, and there was nothing earth-shattering or particularly revealing.

and yet some teams struggle with common sense decisions

there were a lot of good points but this was the one that stuck out the most to me

Walsh would remind everyone in the room that the draft only needed enough depth for his team to acquire 12 good players. Satisfying every team was not his concern. All he cared about was finding talent for his own team. Therefore, the depth of talent in each draft was not irrelevant.

Edited by Max997

I just read this, and I have to say, I was underwhelmed. Most if not all of that strikes me as common sense, and there was nothing earth-shattering or particularly revealing.

Yeah, but take a look at how many posters here prattle on and on endlessly about such meaningless phrases like "draft value" and "trade down from 10" and "player X is a great pick in round Y".

All that matters next thursday is getting good football players. Not "reaches" or "not maximizing this utterly moronic term called 'draft value'," just picking good football players.

Yeah, but take a look at how many posters here prattle on and on endlessly about such meaningless phrases like "draft value" and "trade down from 10" and "player X is a great pick in round Y".

All that matters next thursday is getting good football players. Not "reaches" or "not maximizing this utterly moronic term called 'draft value'," just picking good football players.

Amen.

GO BILLS!!!

Still, betting on 20 to 22 year old kids after they played 20 to 22 yo kids is always going to be a crapshoot. The thing I really like about Nix and company is loading up on draft picks and not throwing them away. IF you draft a guy like Hardy, it's not as painful when you get Stevie Johnson with a 7th. You ask out enough girls, eventually one will say yes. :devil:

Every year we hear so many of these from various posters on this board...I happen to agree strongly with most (if not all) of them. Have a look:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82857c66/article/bill-walshs-nfl-draft-philosophies-six-lessons-from-the-master

Now, discuss...

Whatever we do at #10, there will be many who say we reached, and insrtead we should have drafted ________________(fill in the blank). I like the idea of BPA in the first round, and needs after that. I know the record doesn't show it right now, but we are becoming a better team.

I hear you...I guess I'm just <shudder> mature enough to have learned that stuff without having Bill Walsh explain it to me. :P

Interesting. Lombardi was talking about the team building strategies of Al Davis the other day, as well. I love learning about this sort of thing.

Me too, very interesting.

Um, sorry?

Yes, this.

Whatever we do at #10, there will be many who say we reached, and insrtead we should have drafted ________________(fill in the blank). I like the idea of BPA in the first round, and needs after that. I know the record doesn't show it right now, but we are becoming a better team.

Bottom line.

I do like the philosophy on giving rookies a limited playbook and more of a role. Thats what the panthers did with cam newton last year and it worked out great. They started him off with just a few basic plays, and added a few more every week.

there were a lot of good points but this was the one that stuck out the most to me

Walsh would remind everyone in the room that the draft only needed enough depth for his team to acquire 12 good players. Satisfying every team was not his concern. All he cared about was finding talent for his own team. Therefore, the depth of talent in each draft was not irrelevant.

I corrected what I think was your typo, but it's a moronic statement. A dearth of overall talent in the draft pool means everyone is fighting over a fewer number of good players -- which means your team is less likely to find those 12 good ones. Can't you just simply say you try to pick the best player each time you have a selection, period? Geezus, this is not rocket science.

Yeah, but that pales in comparison with draft equity. Now that's a real standard to build your team.

Didn't Walsh recommend Trent Edwards to Marv? What kind of draftism was that?!

The kind of draftism not made with the benefit of hindsight?

Bill Walsh wasn't perfect and he had his fair share of draft mistakes over the years.

Just like everybody who's ever drafted college players.

GO BILLS!!!

Draft value is not a moronic concept by any possible stretch of the imagination! :angry: Getting a Pro Bowl punter in the 7th round is good draft value. Getting a Pro Bowl punter in the top ten picks of the draft is not.

Bill Parcells once said that you start by figuring out which players you want, and then you figure out which draft picks you need to get them. I think that's also what Walsh was getting at. Scouts were beginning discussions by describing the round in which a player should be taken. That's the wrong starting point, as Walsh recognized. You begin by envisioning each player's future role with your team.

Draft value is not a moronic concept by any possible stretch of the imagination! :angry: Getting a Pro Bowl punter in the 7th round is good draft value. Getting a Pro Bowl punter in the top ten picks of the draft is not.

Draft value is a lousy concept. A pro bowl player is a pro bowl player regardless of where they were drafted.

Do you think 49er fans really give a crap in what round Montana was drafted?

Bill Parcells once said that you start by figuring out which players you want, and then you figure out which draft picks you need to get them. I think that's also what Walsh was getting at. Scouts were beginning discussions by describing the round in which a player should be taken. That's the wrong starting point, as Walsh recognized. You begin by envisioning each player's future role with your team.

Ummm ....

"... describing the round in which a player should be taken. That's the wrong starting point,..."

"Getting a Pro Bowl punter in the 7th round is good draft value. Getting a Pro Bowl punter in the top ten picks of the draft is not."

Either I missed the sarcasm, or you just contradicted yourself.