Are We Alone in the Universe?

CosmicBills

Are We Alone In The Universe?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe intelligent life exist elsewhere in the Universe?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
  2. 2. Do you believe mankind will ever discover and/or come into contact with intelligent life elsewhere in the universe

• Yes and within my lifetime
    • Yes but not within my lifetime
    • No because the distances between the stars is too vast
    • No because there is no other intelligent life in the Universe
    • Unsure
    • No because mankind will cease to exist before contact is made
  3. 3. UFOs: Real or Fake (note: this does not mean you have to believe every UFO sighting is extraterrestrail in nature, only that some reports are)

• Real
    • Fake
    • Unsure
    • I've witnessed a genuine sighting personally

But saying there's intelligent life out there is like looking at the plankton in the same cup and saying "Look! Whales!"

Quite simply: you don't know what you don't know.

I think the point is to avoid speaking in absolutes before you know for sure, either way. :thumbsup:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While i do believe unquestioned that there is life out there, there's no telling what "form" it takes and what type of "intelligence" it has. Furthermore, on the chance that we DO discover signs of life elsewhere, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it once discovered.

While i do believe unquestioned that there is life out there, there's no telling what "form" it takes and what type of "intelligence" it has. Furthermore, on the chance that we DO discover signs of life elsewhere, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it once discovered.

One thing is certain...if there is other intelligent life in the universe, they have a little more respect and admiration for "The Beautiful Game" than you do, mister.

Re: UFO's...there are plenty of flying objects one might not be able to identify. So yes, UFOs are real but they are more likely secret military craft than alien spaceships.

While I am certain there advanced alien races somewhere, I doubt we will ever make contact due to the distances between stars. Also consider the sliver of time civilized races exist before destroying themselves, as we are apt to do eventually. By the time we get a signal from them and respond, they will have blown themselves up because their god told them to smite their version of infidels.

PTR

Re: UFO's...there are plenty of flying objects one might not be able to identify. So yes, UFOs are real but they are more likely secret military craft than alien spaceships.

While I am certain there advanced alien races somewhere, I doubt we will ever make contact due to the distances between stars. Also consider the sliver of time civilized races exist before destroying themselves, as we are apt to do eventually. By the time we get a signal from them and respond, they will have blown themselves up because their god told them to smite their version of infidels.

PTR

Maybe on their world Eve never ate the apple.

PTR

I'll bet you're a real hoot at parties.

Yes, I'm bored. But I'm also curious. Now, it could just be because of the industry I work in or the state I live in, but it seems to me that more people than ever are openly proclaiming that there is other intelligent life in the universe outside of our solar system. I remember growing up at a time when believing in ETs was tantamount to wearing a sign on your back that either read "Delusional" or "Please wedgie me now" depending on your age.

But within the last decade we've seen NASA announce the discovery of hundreds of new planets outside out solar system (with the numbers rising by the day) and it seems more and more people believe we're not alone. Heck, even the Vatican came out recently and said that there is other life out there in the cosmos besides our own. Is that a sign they know something we don't and are trying to get ahead of the game? Or is it just the Vatican's way of trying to stay relevant in light of humanity's ever growing understanding of the universe?

So now I turn to my constant source of knowledge and wisdom: Off The Wall. What say you? Are we alone in this universe? I understand the temptation will exist for this thread to become an unending string of one-liners. And I'm certain that at least some of those will be downright hilarious. But still, I'm hoping to get honest responses from the people out there.

You bet this is more life out there somewhere. God would not limit himself just to Earth. But he did send his Son here so we extra special.

Was that to deep? I hope not :)

You bet this is more life out there somewhere. God would not limit himself just to Earth. But he did send his Son here so we extra special.

Was that to deep? I hope not :)

Yeah dude. That **** blew my mind. Boom. Wow.

We extra special now.

Edited by LeviF91

PTR

Ya, what if the other planets are Al Quieda and proclaim Jihad on us.

If there was a planet called Lesbos...

I think PTR is right with his sliver thinking. Who knows how old the universe is or how large. We just don't know and it's beyond our scope of thought. How many intelligent life forms have flourished for who knows how long in the past and suddenly or slowly ceased to exist. If there is a God he would surely work his wonders in other regions besides our little planet.

There isn't a question asking if we think some sort of contact has already been made in the past.

Edited by Pilsner

What we understand as basics for life (breathing, water, minerals) may not be essentials 'elsewhere'. If we do encounter alien life, it will likely be them visiting us as we're pretty much stuck on how to further and faster propell us outward and we dont live very long -all things considered. As such, if they can find us, they're going to be become immediate masters of our world.

So I hope there's nothing else..

Chandler you're probably right about the essentials. We just don't know what we don't know. Also it is a bit unnerving that if beings visited earth they would have their way with us if they were so inclined. On the other hand if somehow we were able to visit another world we would probably try to take advantage of the situation to the detriment of our new found friends.