Are We Alone in the Universe?

CosmicBills

Are We Alone In The Universe?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe intelligent life exist elsewhere in the Universe?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
  2. 2. Do you believe mankind will ever discover and/or come into contact with intelligent life elsewhere in the universe

• Yes and within my lifetime
    • Yes but not within my lifetime
    • No because the distances between the stars is too vast
    • No because there is no other intelligent life in the Universe
    • Unsure
    • No because mankind will cease to exist before contact is made
  3. 3. UFOs: Real or Fake (note: this does not mean you have to believe every UFO sighting is extraterrestrail in nature, only that some reports are)

• Real
    • Fake
    • Unsure
    • I've witnessed a genuine sighting personally

Yes, I'm bored. But I'm also curious. Now, it could just be because of the industry I work in or the state I live in, but it seems to me that more people than ever are openly proclaiming that there is other intelligent life in the universe outside of our solar system. I remember growing up at a time when believing in ETs was tantamount to wearing a sign on your back that either read "Delusional" or "Please wedgie me now" depending on your age.

But within the last decade we've seen NASA announce the discovery of hundreds of new planets outside out solar system (with the numbers rising by the day) and it seems more and more people believe we're not alone. Heck, even the Vatican came out recently and said that there is other life out there in the cosmos besides our own. Is that a sign they know something we don't and are trying to get ahead of the game? Or is it just the Vatican's way of trying to stay relevant in light of humanity's ever growing understanding of the universe?

So now I turn to my constant source of knowledge and wisdom: Off The Wall. What say you? Are we alone in this universe? I understand the temptation will exist for this thread to become an unending string of one-liners. And I'm certain that at least some of those will be downright hilarious. But still, I'm hoping to get honest responses from the people out there.

Edited by tgreg99

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm less concerned about whether we come into contact with aliens during my lifetime, and more concerned whether it will be during the lifetime of Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum.

Fixed

Good point...I wonder if it might be a JJ Abrahms project? Tgreg, if JJ is involved, cough once for yes and twice for no.

I'm less concerned about whether we come into contact with aliens during my lifetime, and more concerned whether it will be during the lifetime of Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum.

Nice. This past weekend some channel had Independence Day and even though I have watched the quintessential popcorn flick at least 4 times, I had to watch it again. Makes little sense. But I did not care, still don't care and think it is one of the best summer movies of all time.

Nice. This past weekend some channel had Independence Day and even though I have watched the quintessential popcorn flick at least 4 times, I had to watch it again. Makes little sense. But I did not care, still don't care and think it is one of the best summer movies of all time.

I watched it too. Totally should have been more productive but Will Smith fighting aliens lures me in every time

I'm with ya. One of my all-time favorite popcorn flicks.

Good point...I wonder if it might be a JJ Abrahms project? Tgreg, if JJ is involved, cough once for yes and twice for no.

Wait, does he also have to drop his pants and turn his head before coughing? Because I want no part of that.

Wait, does he also have to drop his pants and turn his head before coughing? Because I want no part of that.

Eh...you've seen one, you've seen 'em all 0:)

I love Neil Degrasse Tyson's quote on this subject. Paraphrasing just a little bit:

"Saying there is no life anywhere but Earth is like filling a cup with ocean water and saying 'See, there aren't any whales in the ocean'."

But saying there's intelligent life out there is like looking at the plankton in the same cup and saying "Look! Whales!"

Quite simply: you don't know what you don't know.

Another option should be added to the 2nd question:

"No because mankind will cease to exist before contact is made".

Or after contact is made.

Was it Hawkings who said something to the effect of: "Look how things turned out for the Indians after Columbus landed."