Titanic - This day in history

/dev/null

Hollywood should make a movie about it.

EDIT: After checking, they already did, back in 1980....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081400/

Amazing that despite 700+ survivors, the conventional wisdom for almost 75 years was that the ship sank intact. I guess once the lights went out, it was pretty hard to tell what was happening from a life boat.

Amazing that despite 700+ survivors, the conventional wisdom for almost 75 years was that the ship sank intact. I guess once the lights went out, it was pretty hard to tell what was happening from a life boat.

One of the plethora of shows discussed this aspect of the sinking. According to what I saw (possibly on the national geographic channel... i can't remember the specific show), the survivors testified that the ship did break in half, but they were debunked by the officials running the inquiry. Apparently, to establish that the ship broke in half was to establish that there were design and construction flaws in the ship. $ince money talk$, they blamed the wreck on the captain to save face.

Saw a show on PBS last week on the sinking from the Engineers prospective. It was pretty cool as to why it was supposed to be unsinkable (hull broken into sections with water type bulkheads to keep water from flooding more that just one section) and why is sunk (the gash from the ice burg pierced several sections) and what they did to try and save it.

Saw a show on PBS last week on the sinking from the Engineers prospective. It was pretty cool as to why it was supposed to be unsinkable (hull broken into sections with water type bulkheads to keep water from flooding more that just one section) and why is sunk (the gash from the ice burg pierced several sections) and what they did to try and save it.

For you "foodies", I've seen a number of people online talking about going to a Titanic dinner party where they recreate the 1st Class Dinner menu.

Full menu and recipes here:

http://www.thedragonskitchen.com/search/label/Titanic%20Dinner

One of the plethora of shows discussed this aspect of the sinking. According to what I saw (possibly on the national geographic channel... i can't remember the specific show), the survivors testified that the ship did break in half, but they were debunked by the officials running the inquiry. Apparently, to establish that the ship broke in half was to establish that there were design and construction flaws in the ship. $ince money talk$, they blamed the wreck on the captain to save face.

"Design and construction flaws?" It hit an iceberg. That's not representative of a design or construction flaw.

"Design and construction flaws?" It hit an iceberg. That's not representative of a design or construction flaw.

Absolutely zero doubt that it hit an iceberg and sank as a result. However, the show that I watched discussed flaws that contributed to the sinking such as the watertight compartments that didn't go the height of the ship, expansion joints that may have impacted the splitting of the ship, etc.

For you "foodies", I've seen a number of people online talking about going to a Titanic dinner party where they recreate the 1st Class Dinner menu.

Full menu and recipes here:

http://www.thedragon...itanic%20Dinner

A friend of mine went to a party that did that; every dressed in period costume, recreated the menu, etc. One of the other guests was the grandson of a surviver.