Went to Spamalot Last Night

Chef Jim

I think it's safe to say the Broadway Musical just ain't our thing. We're both huge Python fans and love the Holy Gail. But cheesy/campy song and dance just doesn't do it for us. It's a good thing we both feel that way. I'd hate for my wife to drag me to every show that comes to town. And this isn't the first show we felt that way after. We both walked away from Wicked with the same feeling......high school musical.

i did all the musicals and plays growing up and thru high school...and I feel the exact same way you do....just not a fan at all. I can handle plays, but musicals...no thanks.

I think it's safe to say the Broadway Musical just ain't our thing. We're both huge Python fans and love the Holy Gail. But cheesy/campy song and dance just doesn't do it for us. It's a good thing we both feel that way. I'd hate for my wife to drag me to every show that comes to town. And this isn't the first show we felt that way after. We both walked away from Wicked with the same feeling......high school musical.

i did all the musicals and plays growing up and thru high school...and I feel the exact same way you do....just not a fan at all. I can handle plays, but musicals...no thanks.

For me, it depends on the musical. I loved Spamalot -- it was silly, but it was supposed to be (Holy Grail itself is silly - "Sir Robin ran away! Bravely ran away, away!" ;) ). I love the classics too -- Les Mis, Fiddler, etc. Of the newer ones, some are good (Lion King), some are not (Billy Elliot, American Idiot). I enjoy going out to see them though.

For me, it depends on the musical. I loved Spamalot -- it was silly, but it was supposed to be (Holy Grail itself is silly - "Sir Robin ran away! Bravely ran away, away!" ;) ). I love the classics too -- Les Mis, Fiddler, etc. Of the newer ones, some are good (Lion King), some are not (Billy Elliot, American Idiot). I enjoy going out to see them though.

Yes it was silly but I don't pay that kind of money to sit through silly. I'd rather sit in the comfort of my own home and stream Holy Grail. And the theme of the second act and overdone at the end wasn't even from Holy Grail. "Always Look at the Bright Side of Life" only works with Brian nailed to the cross and tapping his toes to the song. Now that's funny!

I've seen 2 plays in my life, both in Vegas. The first was Mamma Mia :sick:, Spamalot was great in comparison. Elaine's boss from Seinfeld was the lead, he was OK, I enjoyed it, though it was nothing close to as good as the real deal.

I've seen 2 plays in my life, both in Vegas. The first was Mamma Mia :sick:, Spamalot was great in comparison. Elaine's boss from Seinfeld was the lead, he was OK, I enjoyed it, though it was nothing close to as good as the real deal.

I'm going to see Mama Mia next week. Not really looking forward to it, but I'll try to have an open mind.

I'm going to see Mama Mia next week. Not really looking forward to it, but I'll try to have an open mind.

For what it was, it was good I guess, but I was kinda dragged into it & not in the mood zzzzzzzz. And don't tell any one, but I even liked some of the Abba songs shhh, just couldn't get into it though. Set design, lighting, really everything was much better in Spamalot. Edited by Rico

Now that one i enjoyed..mainly because there was a lot of getting out of your seat and dancing involved. It was more about listening to fun abba songs than the play itself.

I've only seen a few musicals in my life, but I can honestly say that "The Lion King" was one of the most incredible productions ever. I was completely in awe of the costumes, the vocals, and the overall presentation. The only other time I was really into it was when I saw Phantom at the Pantages in Toronto back in '95. That was a fun trip and a good show, but the Lion King was on a whole other level.

I've only seen a few musicals in my life, but I can honestly say that "The Lion King" was one of the most incredible productions ever. I was completely in awe of the costumes, the vocals, and the overall presentation. The only other time I was really into it was when I saw Phantom at the Pantages in Toronto back in '95. That was a fun trip and a good show, but the Lion King was on a whole other level.

Everytime I think of Phantom (I saw it in Appleton, WI once), I think of the cheesy commercial -- "Buy Phantom, by phone!" :D

Everytime I think of Phantom (I saw it in Appleton, WI once), I think of the cheesy commercial -- "Buy Phantom, by phone!" :D

Oh man, those commercials for the Toronto show played ALL THE DAMN TIME back in Rochester when I was there...It was certainly worth the trip to see it, but the ads got annoying as hell.

Take away the incredible sets (Spamalot excluded, there were minimal) and the costumes and you've got a high school musical. Just my opinion. I'll take the opera any day over a Broadway musical.

Take away the incredible sets (Spamalot excluded, there were minimal) and the costumes and you've got a high school musical. Just my opinion. I'll take the opera any day over a Broadway musical.

I actually would love to develop an appreciation for opera. An ex-girlfriend was a student at the Eastman School in Rochester. She was a classically trained opera singer and I used to go and watch their rehearsals...I don't know if I could get into it in terms of listening to opera CDs, but I bet I would enjoy it if I went to see it live again. When I first heard the symphony join the rehearsals, I was blown away by the richness of the instruments...pretty impressive.

I like live theatre of evry kind..musical, drama, comedy. Have season tickets to the local theatre here in Richmond , as well as the Broadway In Richmond series every year, and prolly seee 3-5 at regional theatre in DC every year..so prolly go to close to 15 plays a year. I agree with yiu on Spamalot..miserable dreck.

But do yourself a favor and go see shows at your regioanl theatre..evry bit as entertaining, better seats, easier in and out, better drinks, and half the price of the big productions.

I like live theatre of evry kind..musical, drama, comedy. Have season tickets to the local theatre here in Richmond , as well as the Broadway In Richmond series every year, and prolly seee 3-5 at regional theatre in DC every year..so prolly go to close to 15 plays a year. I agree with yiu on Spamalot..miserable dreck.

But do yourself a favor and go see shows at your regioanl theatre..evry bit as entertaining, better seats, easier in and out, better drinks, and half the price of the big productions.

We used to do that all the time. Plays at small community theaters and was just thinking after I started this thread that it's been a long timem since we did that. I'm not sure why we stopped. I think it probably because we got on a symphony kick. Need to get back to the playhouses.....but no musicals!!

Now that one i enjoyed..mainly because there was a lot of getting out of your seat and dancing involved. It was more about listening to fun abba songs than the play itself.

I thought that was the special version they only do in SF. :)

Through my hobby (geocaching)I know this professional singer from the LA area.She is in a quartet called Bethoven's Wig, which takes classical music and makes it attractive to small kids. Their signature song is "Bethoven's wig, is very big..." (Beethoven's Fifth) they throw in Dance of the Toreadors, etc. Someone who was going got sick and gave me the ticket. It was very enjoyable although the only time I saw the BPO was those field trips in elementary school. All the hyperactive rugrats were jumping about where the orchestra pit would be. You've heard some of her work - she is the singer in the intro on the remastered ST:TOS DVDs, was the singer in the Volkswagen commercial with ELO's 'Mr. Blue Sky" (she said Jeff Lyne was great to work with) , the scene in The Simpsons Movie where the birds are helping Marge in the cabin in Alaska, and had done jingles for Glee and lots of other things.

One Christmastime, the BPO was supposed to play at noon in the M&T building and it fell through that day. I was in grad school at Roswell Park and the moved a lot of the tables around, brought down a lot of patients and played in the cafeteria. We were supprised to hear them as we walked in there.The Christmas songs sound amazing when you hear them from 50 feet away played by professional musicians.

Edited by Wacka