And the suits roll on ...

Alex Karras latest to sue NFL over concussions

The suit – the 12th concussion-related complaint filed against the NFL by the Locks Law Firm in Philadelphia, now representing about 700 former NFL players – alleges that the league didn’t do enough to warn players that they risked permanent brain damage if they played too soon after a concussion, and that it concealed evidence about the risks for decades.

Just the tip of the iceberg I suspect.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I feel for these guys that have brain injuries and symptoms after thier football lives or because of thier football lives. But at the end of the day, it's not a safe sport or lifestyle. I would say that 90%+ (minimum) recieved full paid college educations for tuier play and chose to play the game and risk health for money, fame, and the game they obviously loved instead of either actually learning something in thier college careers or chosing another career that they went to school for. They expected to make millions and most of them do. I really don't feel that sorry in the end. If you don't like it, become a doctor, lawyer, cop, or take your pick.

I do see tuis as a tip of the iceberg sort of thing though. It's going to get realllllllly bad since this Saints thing has happened and it WILL change and potentially RUIN the game we all love.

Gotta love America! Once one person sues over hot coffee at McDonalds, everyone piles on. I have no sympathy for these men. Guess what? I work with my hands for a living, arthritis and carpal tunnel are very common. Can I sue my employer for not protecting me from these ailments? I believe these men knew what they were risking, even death, while they played football. Go ahead lawyers make these grown adult men who have had every advantage in the world, and paint them like suffering babys. With more and more coming out of the wood work it makes the NFL look worse. Another ply to make money, as if that will make everything better.

Edited by Smears

Gotta love America! Once one person sues over hot coffee at McDonalds, everyone piles on. I have no sympathy for these men. Guess what? I work with my hands for a living, arthritis and carpal tunnel are very common. Can I sue my employer for not protecting me from these ailments? I believe these men knew what they were risking, even death, while they played football. Go ahead lawyers make these grown adult men who have had every advantage in the world, and paint them like suffering babys. With more and more coming out of the wood work it makes the NFL look worse. Another ply to make money, as if that will make everything better.

Jesus Beavis calm the Hell down. You'll give yourself a concussion.

Here's a surprise - - three of helmet maker Riddell's insurance carriers say that the concussion-related health claims being made by former NFL players fall outside the scope of the insurance policies Riddell bought, so Riddell has now filed its own suit against those three insurance carriers:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47042055

P.S. Please make sure you have an operational sarcasm detector before replying to this post.

I feel for these guys that have brain injuries and symptoms after thier football lives or because of thier football lives. But at the end of the day, it's not a safe sport or lifestyle. I would say that 90%+ (minimum) recieved full paid college educations for tuier play and chose to play the game and risk health for money, fame, and the game they obviously loved instead of either actually learning something in thier college careers or chosing another career that they went to school for. They expected to make millions and most of them do. I really don't feel that sorry in the end. If you don't like it, become a doctor, lawyer, cop, or take your pick.

I do see tuis as a tip of the iceberg sort of thing though. It's going to get realllllllly bad since this Saints thing has happened and it WILL change and potentially RUIN the game we all love.

I generally agree, but it should be pointed out that in Karras' day, they weren't paid exorbitant amounts of money. Most had regular jobs in the off-season (selling insurance, etc). The modern players are a whole different situation.

As Matthew's Bag said, there's at least two distinct classes in this issue.

A lot of old timers made peanuts and played a game that doesn't really resemble today's game very much. There was also a much smaller pool of evidence pointing towards the dangers of head trauma.

I agree with you that many if not most of the players who started playing within the last 20 years should have one way or another, had an inkling as to the risks involved AND made very good money for their efforts. For most of these guys, I don't have too much sympathy.

As far as your last statement which I've bolded, I strongly disagree. I don't see how making the game cleaner and less brutal will ruin the game. I think it will make the game better.

But some people believe that hockey needs fighting and auto racing needs crashes.

I'm not one of those people.