K.Rivers LB traded to giants for 5th round pick

Nah I hear you. I would actually love if they could somehow get LaVonte David on this roster as I think he'd be a huge asset to our D. No matter what happens I'm sure we'll both have faith in Nix/Whaley and the entire organizations plan. For the first time in a long time, I really think this team is being built the right way. The QB postion remains the biggest ?, and unfortuantely that's probably the postion that means the most.

I'm with you on David! His ability to read plays is incredible. I trust them to know better than me what they need, if only because they know what their future plans are. There will be some loose veterans cut that could fortify the ranks, too. Honestly, I just want them to get good value with their first pick, whatever the position may be.

nfl.com this guy is actually good I can't beleive they only got a 5th

He's good?

I didn't know that.

For all you "we need to draft a LB in the first round" people, be forewarned: This is what happens when LBs who aren't pass-rushers go high in the draft. There's occasionally a Jerod Mayo or Patrick Willis, but the much more likely scenario is an Aaron Curry, Keith Rivers, AJ Hawk, etc. All decent players, but all eminently replaceable and not necessarily worth what they make. The new rookie salary structure has helped that last problem somewhat, but the biggest change salary-wise was for the top 5 picks.

Keep in mind, Mayo (10th overall), Patrick Willis (11th overall), Aaron Curry (4th overall), Keith Rivers (9th overall) and AJ Hawk (5th overall) were all very highly drafted… the top 3rd of the first round.

You can say the same exact thing for every position drafted in the first round.. that argument is meaningless.

Not to the degree of non-pass rushing LB.

Well an OLB in a 43 is essentially an ILB in a 34. So you can include Mayo and Willis. Add to that list Brian Cushing, Lawrence Timmons, John Beason (I'm sure there are more past 2008) and you have a solid list of the best young linebackers in the league.

Of course there are going to be some busts... but you can say that about any position in the first round.

Brian Cushing 15th overall, Lawrence Timmons 15th overall, Jon Beason 25th overall. It seems like the moral of the story is to wait until the second half of the first round rather than taking this type of player in the top ten.

I thought the Giants didn't need good linebackers for their defense? Or at least that's what the anti-Kuechly crowd keeps saying.

Trading for Keith Rivers doesn't refute the argument that the Giants don't need good linebackers. But actually the Giants have good linebackers. Matthias Kiwanuka played very well for the Giants as did Chase Blackburn and Michael Boley. Maybe they think Rivers is a better bet than a low 5th rounder.

Trading for Keith Rivers doesn't refute the argument that the Giants don't need good linebackers. But actually the Giants have good linebackers. Matthias Kiwanuka played very well for the Giants as did Chase Blackburn and Michael Boley. Maybe they think Rivers is a better bet than a low 5th rounder.

You're right. I think they are trying to downgrade at LB. I think they are realizing more and more, that LB's aren't important to their defensive scheme.

Thanks!

What's your definition of a "good" LB? 35 starts, 186 total tackles, 2 sacks, and 2 interceptions in 4 seasons doesn't define good to me.

I'd actually argue this only reinforces the Giants philosophy about not using major resources on their LB corps. Taking a chance on an injury prone LB with a 5th round draft choice is just the type of investment you'd expect the Giants to make in an OLB, rather than spending a top 10 pick on one in the draft, as you argue the Bills should do.

The point isn't that the Giants don't want good LB's, they just aren't going to use major resources (high draft picks and a lot of money) on acquiring them. Those high picks will be used on DE/DT 1st, and CB/S 2nd. I expect the Bills to follow a similar philosophy when it comes to fortifying our defense.

I think you're right Estro, but I really like your draft scenario . . . :thumbsup:

My 2012 Bills Mock Draft:

Chargers trade up to #10, giving us #18 and #51

1(#18)- Cordy Glenn (OT, Georgia) - (changed from Melvin Ingram)

2(#41)- Lavonte David (OLB, Nebraska) - (changed from Rueben Randle)

2(#51)- Josh Robinson (CB, UCF) - (changed from James Brown)

3(#72)- Marvin McNutt (WR, Iowa) - (changed from Audie Cole)

I think you're right Estro, but I really like your draft scenario . . . :thumbsup:

My 2012 Bills Mock Draft:

Chargers trade up to #10, giving us #18 and #51

1(#18)- Cordy Glenn (OT, Georgia) - (changed from Melvin Ingram)

2(#41)- Lavonte David (OLB, Nebraska) - (changed from Rueben Randle)

2(#51)- Josh Robinson (CB, UCF) - (changed from James Brown)

3(#72)- Marvin McNutt (WR, Iowa) - (changed from Audie Cole)

Thanks, although I'm starting to believe Cordy Glenn won't be on the board if we were to trade down to #18. It's also starting to look like Josh Robinson will be picked in the top half of the 2nd round, rather than the 2nd half. I would love the result of this particular draft, but it's looking more unrealistic as the draft nears.