Christian School Run-down

#34fan

Not bad, for a bunch of bible-thumping church-boys. Here are some of the kids I believe COULD make a 2012 pro roster. -God-willing. I posted video wherever possible. Enjoy!

ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY

Daryl Richardson RB 5'10", 192, (Pro Day) 4.49 40YD, 40.5inch vert, 16 strength reps. The younger brother of Bengals reciever Bernard Scott, Richardson is a smallish, but very speedy playmaker. Can create plays in the open field, and catch out of the screen. May be slightly faster than his 4.49 40 implies. 1196 all-purpose yards in 2011. Not the biggest of accomplishments if your toughest rival is Eastern New Mexico State, and West Texas A&M.

Aston Whiteside DE 6'2, 260, (Pro Day) 4.88 40YD 33.5inch vert, 19 strength reps. 12.5 tackles for loss in 2011. -Six sacks. Not very instinctive, but plays very fast. Not sure how much of that 260lbs is muscle.

SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY

Taylor Thompson DE/TE 6'5" 259 (Pro Day) 4.56 40YD, 22 strength reps. 10.6 long jump. A tight-end coming out of high school, Taylor Played DE for the Mustangs his junior and senior years. in 2011 he racked up 41 tackles (7.5 for loss) and 7 sacks. Scouts, however, were not thrilled with him at the DE position. Word on the street was that he was too small, couldn't shed blockers, couldn't deliver a hit, and lacked drive. Long story short, he ends up busting TE drills on his pro day. -Which Drove up his stock, big time. Scouts liked his hands, athleticism, and speed. He's now expected to go as a 4th-6th round TE!

J.J. McDermott QB 6'4" 225, 10.5inch hands, (NMSU transfer) -Yanked a hamstring, and didn't work out on his pro day. Still, McDermott is a kid I paid very close attention to at SMU. He played in 13 games as a senior for the 'stangs. He threw for 3,421 total yards on the year, and 17 touchdowns. Of course, he also threw 16 INT's, and got sacked 27 times, but hey, what part of Conference USA was unclear? IMO, the kid moves around well in the pocket, and throws a very pretty long ball. Have a look at these links.

Don't be shocked if someone takes a chance on him in the 5th-6th round. Oh, and don't stare too long at SMU's RB ZACH LINE. He's next year's draft-candy.

TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY

Braylon Broughton DE 6'6" 272 4.55 40YD, 36.5 vert, 26 strength reps. Finished his senior year with 25 tackles, -six for loss, and two sacks. Scouts are saying that he under-produced at TCU, given his size, speed, and athleticism. Still, he's a very big, very fast kid, who should make somebody's roster by the mid rounds (4th-5th)

Tank Carder LB 6'3" 237 4.69 40YD, 19 strength reps (combine) 70 tackles last season. 45 solo. 2 INT's. Admittedly, "Tank" is a dated tough-guy nickname. However, this kid actually lives up to it. Carder literally throws his body all over the field. -Breaks on the ball like no other. He's a great tackler, and loves breaking up passes. Projected as a 3-4 ILB, or 4-3 strong-side LB, he should still be around in the 4th, but he's projected to be gone sometime in the 5th. Negatives: Some think he's too small in the upper body, and could have a tough time wrapping up guys at the next level. Not so sure I'm buying that. I like Carder. I think any team would welcome him in their locker room. His work ethic is legendary at TCU, and that should carry over easily to the pro's. Check him out for yourself Right here

Antoine Hicks WR 6'2" 212 (Pro day) 4.59 40YD, 33.5in vert. 17 strength reps. In 2011, Hicks made 33 catches for 347 yards. he had 1 recieving, and 2 rushing TD's. Not the biggest reciever, but he's strong, deceptively fast, and versatile. Hicks can catch in traffic, and doesn't mind going accross the middle. Check out

it's a small sample, but Hicks has produced steadily throughout the 2011 season. This link shows Hick's
compensating somewhat for his lack of size. IMO, this is a 6th to UDFA type guy. Some team should really take a chance on this guy.

Greg McCoy CB 5'10" 181 (Pro day) 4.42 40YD, 10.0ft broad jump, 12 strength reps. Despite being on the smallish side, MCCoy is a very good tackler. In his junior year he racked up 24 solo tackles. As a senior, he recorded 25 solo tackles, with 7 break-ups, and 2 INT's. McCoy could also be a serious weapon in somebody's return game. Check these out.

If I'm a GM, who's already had a good draft, I definitely invite this kid to camp. A return-man with this type of ability could be the key to a championship run.

I've got a feeling you'll be seeing some of these kids on Sunday. -And I don't mean in church.

Edited by #34fan

Not bad, for a bunch of bible-thumping church-boys. Here are some of kids I believe COULD make a 2012 pro roster. -God-willing. I posted video wherever possible. Enjoy!

ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY

Daryl Richardson RB 5'10", 192, (Pro Day) 4.49 40YD, 40.5inch vert, 16 strength reps. The younger brother of Bengals reciever Bernard Scott, Richardson is a smallish, but very speedy playmaker. Can create plays in the open field, and catch out of the screen. May be slightly faster than his 4.49 40 implies. 1196 all-purpose yards 2011. Not the biggest of accomplishments if your toughest rival is Eastern New Mexico State, and West Texas A&M.

Aston Whiteside DE 6'2, 260, (Pro Day) 4.88 40YD 33.5inch vert, 19 strength reps. 12.5 tackles for loss in 2011. -Six sacks. Not very instinctive, but plays very fast. Not sure how much of that 260lbs is muscle.

SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY

Taylor Thompson DE/TE 6'5" 259 (Pro Day) 4.56 40YD, 22 strength reps. 10.6long jump.

A tight-end coming out of high school, Taylor Played DE for the Mustangs his junior and senior years. in 2011 he racked up 41 tackles (7.5 for loss) and 7 sacks. Scouts, however, were not thrilled with him at the DE position. Word on the street was that he was too small, couldn't shed blockers, couldn't deliver a hit, and lacked drive. Long story short, he ends up busting TE drills on his pro day. -Which Drove up his stock, big time. Scouts liked his hands, athleticism, and speed. He's now expected to go as a 4th-6th round TE!

J.J. McDermott QB 6'4" 225, 10.5inch hands, (NMSU transfer) -Yanked a hamstring, and didn't work out on his pro day. Still, McDermott is a kid I paid very close attention to at SMU. He played in 13 games as a senior for the 'stangs. He threw for 3,421 total yards on the year, and 17 touchdowns. Of course, he also threw 16 INT's, and got sacked 27 times, but hey, what part of Conference USA was unclear? IMO, the kid moves around well in the pocket, and throws a very pretty long ball. Have a look at these links.

Don't be shocked if someone takes a chance on him in the 5th-6th round. Oh, and don't stare too long at SMU's RB ZACH LINE. He's next year's draft-candy.

TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY

Braylon Broughton DE 6'6" 272 4.55 40YD, 36.5 vert, 26 strength reps. Finished his senior year with 25 tackles, -six for loss, and two sacks. Scouts are saying that he under-produced at TCU, given his size, speed, and athleticism. Still, he's a very big, very fast kid, who should make somebody's roster by the mid rounds (4th-5th)

Tank Carder LB 6'3" 237 4.69 40YD, 19 strength reps (combine) 70 tackles last season. 45 solo. 2 INT's. Admittedly, "Tank" is a dated tough-guy nickname. However, this kid actually lives up to it. Carder literally throws his body all over the field. -Breaks on the ball like no other. He's a great tackler, and loves breaking up passes. Projected as a 3-4 ILB, or 4-3 strong-side LB, he should still be around in the third, but he's projected to be gone sometime in the 4th. Negatives: Some think he's too small in the upper body, and could have a tough time wrapping up guys at the next level. Not so sure I'm buying that. I like Carder. I think any team would welcome him in their locker room. His work ethic is legendary at TCU, and that should carry over easily to the pro's. Check him out for yourself Right here

Antoine Hicks WR 6'2" 212 (Pro day) 4.59 40YD, 33.5in vert. 17 strength reps. In 2011, Hicks made 33 catches for 347 yards. he had 1 recieving, and 2 rushing TD's. Not the biggest reciever, but he's strong, deceptively fast, and versatile. Hicks can catch in traffic, and doesn't mind going accross the middle. Check out

it's a small sample, but Hicks has produced steadily throughout the 2011 season. This link shows Hick's
compensating somewhat for his lack of size. IMO, this is a 6th to UDFA type guy. Some team should really take a chance on this guy.

Greg McCoy CB 5'10" 181 (Pro day) 4.42 40YD, 10.0ft broad jump, 12 strength reps. Despite being on the smallish side, MCCoy is a very good tackler. In his junior year he racked up 24 solo tackles. As a senior, he recorded 25 solo tackles, with 7 break-ups, and 2 INT's. McCoy could also be a serious weapon in somebody's return game. Check these out.

If I'm a GM, who's already had a good draft, I definitely invite this kid to camp. A return-man with this type of ability could be the key to a championship run.

I've got a feeling you'll be seeing some of these kids on Sunday. -And I don't mean in church.

I appreciate the effort #34, but these schools have long abandoned their Christian heritage . . . remember: SMU has their own special on ESPN about their level of corruption and decadence--and that came from the leadership of the school. You could also throw Harvard and Yale in there (and whole bunch of others), as each was founded with a Christian purpose and mission.

Maybe the only truly major Christian college/university today that turns out NFL level players on occasion, is Liberty down in Virginia (of Jerry Falwell fame).

I appreciate the effort #34, but these schools have long abandoned their Christian heritage . . . remember: SMU has their own special on ESPN about their level of corruption and decadence--and that came from the leadership of the school. You could also throw Harvard and Yale in there (and whole bunch of others), as each was founded with a Christian purpose and mission.

Maybe the only truly major Christian college/university today that turns out NFL level players on occasion, is Liberty down in Virginia (of Jerry Falwell fame).

So you're saying that Notre Dame is not a Christian University? And Boston College? I could name a few more that are Jesuit or Benedictine schools, but you get the idea. We Catholics are Christians, just in case you forgot.

Don't forget Baylor University, as well as Gonzaga, Villanova, St. John Fischer, Loyola Marymount, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, Fordham, Belmont, Gardner-Webb, Hardin Simmons, and don't forget our Mormon friends at BYU.

So you're saying that Notre Dame is not a Christian University? And Boston College? I could name a few more that are Jesuit or Benedictine schools, but you get the idea. We Catholics are Christians, just in case you forgot.

Point taken. When I put up the post I thought of the many Catholic schools, I assume the original post was bent towards the Evangelical wing of Christianity. See the quote: "a bunch of bible-thumping church-boys."

I would also add, of the other schools mentioned, Baylor is probably the the closest to conservative evangelicalism - it is still affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention of Texas. Other SBC schools with D1 or 1A football include: Wake Forrest, Davidson, Furman, Sanford. Keeping it in the Evangelical Church realm, which I think was the perspective of #34, interestingly, Baylor and Duke still have widely respected Theological Seminary's connected to their school (Duke is Methodist school).

Anyhow, didn't mean to offend. My apologies if needed.

Edited by CSBill

They're no more Bible Thumping Church Boys than most College Athletes are scholars. They go where they can get a free ride and that's it.

Even though you clearly did not grasp the tongue & cheek, I hope you found some of the information in the post useful. It's actually my fault. -When you upload posts this long, you can't control how much of it people will actually read. And you certainly can't control what message they take away from it. -Lesson learned. GO BILLS.

Point taken. When I put up the post I thought of the many Catholic schools, I assume the original post was bent towards the Evangelical wing of Christianity. See the quote: "a bunch of bible-thumping church-boys."

I would also add, of the other schools mentioned, Baylor is probably the the closest to conservative evangelicalism - it is still affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention of Texas. Other SBC schools with D1 or 1A football include: Wake Forrest, Davidson, Furman, Sanford. Keeping it in the Evangelical Church realm, which I think was the perspective of #34, interestingly, Baylor and Duke still have widely respected Theological Seminary's connected to their school (Duke is Methodist school).

Anyhow, didn't mean to offend. My apologies if needed.

Poking fun at a few Christian schools which may, or may not, have an evangelical presence on their football roster, was just a device. The purpose of the thread was actually to highlight certain players from those programs. The post is about football. There was no religious agenda apart from that, I swear.

Poking fun at a few Christian schools which may, or may not, have an evangelical presence on their football roster, was just a device. The purpose of the thread was actually to highlight certain players from those programs. The post is about football. There was no religious agenda apart from that, I swear.

I wasn't looking for an apology, but the post is not entirely about football. Otherwise, why bother even mentioning that they were from Christian schools? And I fail to see the distinction between Evangelical Christians and those of any other kind. A person either is a Christian or they aren't. A University either is run by Christians or it isn't. I really fail to see the point of the post, frankly. They are football players. They are either good football players or they aren't, just like all the rest of the football players from every other school.

And I fail to see the distinction between Evangelical Christians and those of any other kind. A person either is a Christian or they aren't.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. There are Christians who dance with snakes and those who don't. There are Christians who have themselves nailed to crosses and those that don't. There are a lot of shades of gray in your black and white world.

I wasn't looking for an apology, but the post is not entirely about football. Otherwise, why bother even mentioning that they were from Christian schools? And I fail to see the distinction between Evangelical Christians and those of any other kind. A person either is a Christian or they aren't. A University either is run by Christians or it isn't. I really fail to see the point of the post, frankly. They are football players. They are either good football players or they aren't, just like all the rest of the football players from every other school.

I see Tank Carder going in the 4th-5th, and ending up in a place like Houston, or New Orleans. Given Buddy Nix's history with Darren Sproles, he could invite a kid like Greg McCoy to camp. A consistent return weapon takes A LOT of pressure off your offense. This kid has a knack for breaking long ones.

Don't forget Baylor University, as well as Gonzaga, Villanova, St. John Fischer, Loyola Marymount, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, Fordham, Belmont, Gardner-Webb, Hardin Simmons, and don't forget our Mormon friends at BYU.

Other than Nova, Webb, and BYU, I don't really see any pro level talent coming out of those schools. You could get the odd guy out of Fordham, but that's it. -If you know of any gems there please post their names. I'd like to take a look at them.

i would say at big colleges that say they are religious, have the same amount of people of faith as UF, or USF, or OU. Look at tebow, he went to, at the time, the biggest party school in the U.S. I would say half of the nfl is religious, so yes, bible thumping kids can play. A log of religious schools take anyone and hope to change their lack of faith, or no faith at all.

i would say at big colleges that say they are religious, have the same amount of people of faith as UF, or USF, or OU. Look at tebow, he went to, at the time, the biggest party school in the U.S. I would say half of the nfl is religious, so yes, bible thumping kids can play. A log of religious schools take anyone and hope to change their lack of faith, or no faith at all.

Given his skill set, I'm not sure Tebow would have been as successful at a place like TCU. I think the fact that Tebow was surrounded by such stellar coaching, and deep talent at UF, facilitated his rise.

By the same token, I wonder if Jeremy Kerley, Johnny Knox, or Andy Dalton would have been anything to look at at UF, Michigan, Nebraska, or USC. They could have been rendered all but invisible under all that talent. I don't know that they would have been able to rise to the top.

Edited by #34fan

We'll have to agree to disagree then. There are Christians who dance with snakes and those who don't. There are Christians who have themselves nailed to crosses and those that don't. There are a lot of shades of gray in your black and white world.

I think you missed my point. My point was that a person is either a Christian or they aren't. Certainly different denominations practice different ways to worship. I still fail to see how if a school is run by Evangelical Christians vs. Jesuits has any impact whatsoever on what kind of football player a kid is. Am I missing something?

I think you missed my point. My point was that a person is either a Christian or they aren't. Certainly different denominations practice different ways to worship. I still fail to see how if a school is run by Evangelical Christians vs. Jesuits has any impact whatsoever on what kind of football player a kid is. Am I missing something?

After watching a few Abilene Christian games, I can see how Johnny Knox could be a total stud there. What I can't explain, is how he's capable of taking it to the next level. When scouts go to a school like that, I'm not sure what they're expecting. Nevertheless, I think the fact that more scouts are attending their pro days is a sign that Christian schools will be getting better sooner rather than later. With the right schedule, I wouldn't be surprised to see TCU make a national title run.