Wegmans starts to go PC

To clarify, one store manager went PC and then corporate went common-sense.

I see this no differently than my views in the thread about a pharmacist who refuses to sell birth control items or Rxs in a store that carries them. You either perform the whole job, which includes parts that you may not personally or religiously agree with, or you do another job or find another field of work. This was part of the job description when she applied, right? She could reasonably be expected to have known that some people buy bacon and beer at the supermarket and that she might have to touch them, right?

We should not be expecting employers to have to cater to their employees' every :censored:whim about moral problems they might have about customers' purchasing decisions. They stock it, you handle it or you do something else. Kudos to Wegmans head office for not wimping out.

Why does this reek of someone angling for (specious) grounds for a lawsuit/$ettlement?

This girl should have never been allowed to be a cashier if she had problem touching packaging containing alcohol or pork (which, by the way, I highly doubt is against her religion).

It's too damned bad if this girl loves being a cashier, but refuses to do her job. She can work in another department or for another company.

You know when Wegman's will stop selling pork and booze?

When their head is rolling down a flight of stairs, that's when.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

You know when Wegman's will stop selling pork and booze?

When their head is rolling down a flight of stairs, that's when.

How would you have to edit this - you could not have blown that punchline?!?

Why do they need to be fired? They made a poor decision in an attempt to accommodate an employee and then received corrective measures. Doesn't seem like a firing offense to me.

You never know dude. The firing could be the best thing for the guy. Sometimes guys fired from one company start their own and then beat out the original. Maybe this guy will start a grocery chain named Wegmanssansporknbooze and it will be a big hit. Don't stifle the guy. He has ideas.

You never know dude. The firing could be the best thing for the guy. Sometimes guys fired from one company start their own and then beat out the original. Maybe this guy will start a grocery chain named Wegmanssansporknbooze and it will be a big hit. Don't stifle the guy. He has ideas.

That's a pretty bad name. I'd call it "Wedon'thiremuslimssoyoucanbuyalltheporkproductsandboozeyouwant". It helps because not only do you know they sell it all, you also know if they would hire you or not based on your religion.

That's a pretty bad name. I'd call it "Wedon'thiremuslimssoyoucanbuyalltheporkproductsandboozeyouwant". It helps because not only do you know they sell it all, you also know if they would hire you or not based on your religion.

You try that and the original Wegman's guy can try his thing. The market will decide. To each his own. In other words, you say tomato I say potato.