Dick Durban The Scientist Wants More Coal-Fired

I can sort of understand what he is saying though I think it boarders on stupidity. The problem is that if electric cars are going to be effective in curbing carbon output we have to move to renewable energy first.

Set up geothermal, wind, and solar plants first, then move to electric cars.

Sounds like another mandate coming.

Everybody is a consumer of the environment. So to protect everybody else you are going to have to buy a Chevy Volt

But those Volts ain't cheap. So we'll have to set up some kind of financing option like Fannie and Freddie

But now that the Government has a vested interest in everybody's Chevy Volts, they'll want to protect their interest. So everybody will be mandated to purchase subsidized car insurance

Set up geothermal, wind, and solar plants first

I agree. And lets start by building wind turbines off the shore of the Kennedy compound

2011 the US made less than 40% of it's electricity from coal ( that may be an aberration due to unseasonably warm weather but there is a overall downward trend in coal use).

As for Coal it releases more CO2 per unit of energy but that is made up for by a power plant turbine's greater efficiency and the fact that Electric cars don't Idle- there are other efficiency losses from both sides but it pretty much comes out to a wash in the end- also remember it's easier to do CO2 sequestration and particulate control at a couple hundred stationary plants then to do the same on millions a vehicles.

2011 the US made less than 40% of it's electricity from coal ( that may be an aberration due to unseasonably warm weather but there is a overall downward trend in coal use).

As for Coal it releases more CO2 per unit of energy but that is made up for by a power plant turbine's greater efficiency and the fact that Electric cars don't Idle- there are other efficiency losses from both sides but it pretty much comes out to a wash in the end- also remember it's easier to do CO2 sequestration and particulate control at a couple hundred stationary plants then to do the same on millions a vehicles.

So, obviously you have no problem with building more electricity generating coal plants?

I'm trying! We're up to 10 with one and almost 9 with the other.

Well, me too actually. I'm still driving a 1998 Toyota Camry with over 206,000 miles on it.

Car hasn't "owed" me anything for the last 10 years and it still rides and runs great.