If You Ever Go Scuba Diving...

ajzepp

i'm not so sure. i did one of the 20 minute training dives in jamaica. spent that time in a pool learning how to put the equipment on and the next thing was at the bottom of the sea 30 feet down. i quickly realized that i didn't know what i was doing and got anxious. started stacking breaths (i don't know if thats what divers call it)- taking more air in than out so there wasn't enough volume in my lungs to take full breaths. i pointed to the dive master to go up but he ignored me (guess he didn't want to spoil the dive for the other divers). eventually i calmed down and was ok but will never dive again. there's a reason why life insurance excludes diving.

I also did a one day type class, but it was at the Beaches Resort in Turks and Caicos..PADI certified class and we had almost 4 hours in the pool before we went out to dive. When we got to the rope to desend, my wife could only make it about 5 feet under and was to claustrophobic to continue. There were about 12 of us in the class, and we had three instructors/divers with us..one of them had to swim with my wife back to the boat before we could continue.

That class was awesome, as when we were at the bottom, someone knocked the regulator out of my mouth. We had covered that extensively in the class, and I very calmly recovered it, purged it and started breathing again.. no issues. Know I would have panicked had we not done that several times in the class.

I also did a one day type class, but it was at the Beaches Resort in Turks and Caicos..PADI certified class and we had almost 4 hours in the pool before we went out to dive. When we got to the rope to desend, my wife could only make it about 5 feet under and was to claustrophobic to continue. There were about 12 of us in the class, and we had three instructors/divers with us..one of them had to swim with my wife back to the boat before we could continue.

That class was awesome, as when we were at the bottom, someone knocked the regulator out of my mouth. We had covered that extensively in the class, and I very calmly recovered it, purged it and started breathing again.. no issues. Know I would have panicked had we not done that several times in the class.

Yes it is all about the training. To get certified, my wife and I had to take all of our gear off at the bottom and buddy breathe as part of the training. It took us a full week at 8 hours a day to get certified. It is a blast to say the least.

Got Caribbean certified with my wife on our honeymoon. Been 3-4 times since. Its fun, but we have always gone out with individual instructors, one for me and one for my wife. Costs a bit more, but you always have someone looking out for you and making sure that you (the inexperienced one) are safe and having a good time.

i'm not so sure. i did one of the 20 minute training dives in jamaica. spent that time in a pool learning how to put the equipment on and the next thing was at the bottom of the sea 30 feet down. i quickly realized that i didn't know what i was doing and got anxious. started stacking breaths (i don't know if thats what divers call it)- taking more air in than out so there wasn't enough volume in my lungs to take full breaths. i pointed to the dive master to go up but he ignored me (guess he didn't want to spoil the dive for the other divers). eventually i calmed down and was ok but will never dive again. there's a reason why life insurance excludes diving.

Couple things regarding life insurance.

1. How much did she have and how long has she had it?

2. Insurance carriers will underwrite if you dive but only if you dive a couple of times a year and at certain depths.

Oh and BTW for me. Snorkeling...absolutely! Diving...no way. If you know where to go snorkeling can be just fine.

Edited by Chef Jim

Couple things regarding life insurance.

1. How much did she have and how long has she had it?

2. Insurance carriers will underwrite if you dive but only if you dive a couple of times a year and at certain depths.

Oh and BTW for me. Snorkeling...absolutely! Diving...no way. If you know where to go snorkeling can be just fine.

have no idea if she had insurance. i checked with my agent when i got home from that trip and he told me i wasn't covered. i don't doubt you can be insured for a cost (maybe not for guys who do salvage work and such).

I love snorkeling, too. probably would have loved scuba if not for the idiots that "taught me". this was a rare example where the threat of a potential lawsuit would actually protect the public.

have no idea if she had insurance. i checked with my agent when i got home from that trip and he told me i wasn't covered. i don't doubt you can be insured for a cost (maybe not for guys who do salvage work and such).

I love snorkeling, too. probably would have loved scuba if not for the idiots that "taught me". this was a rare example where the threat of a potential lawsuit would actually protect the public.

Certain companies can underwrite for insurance if you scuba at up to a standard plus rating, so no extra cost as long as you don't do it often and too deep (< 75 feet). Sounds like you have crap insurance. :devil:

If you dive with any regularity at all (even a few times a year), it's more than worth it to get involved with Divers Alert Network (DAN). All sorts of insurance and other diving benefits for a good price.

Yes it is all about the training. To get certified, my wife and I had to take all of our gear off at the bottom and buddy breathe as part of the training. It took us a full week at 8 hours a day to get certified. It is a blast to say the least.

I would love to get certified..the time is the killer. I mispoke when I said we were certified..all that 4 hours of class did was allow us to go on that one specific dive..I think it was called a "Resort Certification", and it was approved by PADI. If I would have continured certification process right then and there, that would have counted towards the training.

If we went back today and i wanted to do same dive, I woiuld have to do that class all over again.