Trading #10 for a 2013 1st rounder

Would it be possible, if say a Claiborne or Richardson fell to pick #10, that the Bills would trade this pick to a team in the top part of the 2nd round this year for that team's 2013 first round pick?

For instance, if Claiborne fell to #10 and St. Loius wanted to trade their 2nd round (#33) pick for our #10 and the Bills get the Rams 1st round pick in next years draft.

I don't know if this is plausible, but if it were, I'd sign on for it in a second.

Edited by 1billsfan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that the Bills would want to drop all the way out of the first round. But I could see them doing that type of deal to drop down to the 18-22 range of Rd1 and pick up a 1 next year. It does seem very unlikely to me that they would consider getting a pick next year. I think they are really in "win now": mode and would want to maximize assets that can come in and help this year.

Would it be possible, if say a Claiborne or Richardson fell to pick #10, that the Bills would trade this pick to a team in the top part of the 2nd round this year for that team's 2013 first round pick?

You don't sign the highest paid defensive player in history and trade out of the 10th pick for something next year. Buddy thinks they can win now...

For instance, if Claiborne fell to #10 and St. Loius wanted to trade their 2nd round (#33) pick for our #10 and the Bills get the Rams 1st round pick in next years draft.

I don't know if this is plausible, but if it were, I'd sign on for it in a second.

I'd love this idea! :)

It's been said that there are four critical positions on a team: QB, RDE, LT, and CB. Of those, the Bills have holes at three out of four. The most important of those holes, and the hardest to fill, is at quarterback. It's highly unlikely there will be a franchise QB waiting for the Bills at 10th overall. This means the Bills will likely have to wait until 2013 to address the need for a franchise QB. Having two first round picks in the 2013 draft gives the Bills two chances to have a pick high enough to take the franchise QB they need. Or, barring that, those two first round picks could also be packed up and traded to another team in exchange for a pick very early in the draft. While having two first round picks in 2013 does not guarantee the Bills the chance to get a franchise QB, it puts them in a better position to do so. Even if they're ultimately unable to use those picks to get the QB they want, they'd still be able to use them to draft non-QBs instead.

It's been said that there are four critical positions on a team: QB, RDE, LT, and CB. Of those, the Bills have holes at three out of four. The most important of those holes, and the hardest to fill, is at quarterback. It's highly unlikely there will be a franchise QB waiting for the Bills at 10th overall. This means the Bills will likely have to wait until 2013 to address the need for a franchise QB. Having two first round picks in the 2013 draft gives the Bills two chances to have a pick high enough to take the franchise QB they need. Or, barring that, those two first round picks could also be packed up and traded to another team in exchange for a pick very early in the draft. While having two first round picks in 2013 does not guarantee the Bills the chance to get a franchise QB, it puts them in a better position to do so. Even if they're ultimately unable to use those picks to get the QB they want, they'd still be able to use them to draft non-QBs instead.

As much as I do like Fitzpatrick, I was thinking that the Bills could hedge their bets and do something like this instead of drafting an OG in DeCastro, or RT in Reiff, or a questionable character in Floyd.

The reason I picked the Rams is because they have a ton of picks and if they saw a top five player fall to #10 that they could plausibly be tempted to pull the trigger on a deal like this.

Bills gave up a high second round pick and fifth round pick as well as next years #1 to trade back in to the first round, pick number 22, to get Losman. To trade out of 10 it will take more (much more) than this year's second and next years number one. As others have have said if Claiborne (or Blackmon) is still there the Bills better sprint to the podium, goal is to win this year!!

Edited by Steve O

Bills gave up a high second round pick and fifth round pick as well as next years #1 to trade back in to the first round, pick number 22, to get Losman. To trade out of 10 it will take more (much more) than this year's second and next years number one. As others have have said if Claiborne (or Blackmon) is still there the Bills better sprint to the podium, goal is to win this year!!

Yes, but isn't it tempting to have an insurance policy in case Fitzpatrick flames out this year? We all saw how much it took for the Redskins to get RGIII.

I agree about Blackmon, I would keep the pick and draft him. I was talking more about Claiborne or Richardson. It's far fetched that either one would be there, but the draft sometimes has big surprises that sets weird scenarios in motion.

so no first round pick this year? No thanks, we get there first this and next year then we are on.

Going by statistics we will not trade down. If Ingram is Buddy's target and if he's available, that's the only pick at 10 I would feel confident in. Floyd would be my #2 player who would realistically still be available at the #10 slot. I think everyone would love to trade down and the only teams with firepower to move up will be Cleveland and the Pats. Pats will never switch with us to help us out so unless Cleveland really wants a player bad enough at 10, all we can do is sit back and watch the Buddy & co. show. It will be a good one...

so no first round pick this year? No thanks, we get there first this and next year then we are on.

At pick #10 the bad teams have already used their "this year" first round picks, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

The value of a deal like this is getting a bad team's 2013 first rounder and being in a very good position for a top five pick in 2013 and having your own first round pick also which for the Bills will most certainly not be a top 10. At least I hope not! LOL

:lol:

Now I for one, do like Chan. But Nix will not countenance a long losing streak THIS year.

He's not going to trade away a potential difference-maker that will help this team now for a phantom pick 16+ games from now.

Another way to look at it. What's the assurance that another team would have a higher than #10 pick next year?

At the trade value - it would need to be a top five pick next year to even remotely begin to make sense.

it would take more then next years first round pick which is an unknown and a second round pick to move up that high

at this point im sure Buddy and company know who they want at 10 and are confident he will be there...i have no idea who that player is

Edited by Max997

At pick #10 the bad teams have already used their "this year" first round picks, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

The value of a deal like this is getting a bad team's 2013 first rounder and being in a very good position for a top five pick in 2013 and having your own first round pick also which for the Bills will most certainly not be a top 10. At least I hope not! LOL

What happens if that first rounder turns out to be much later. The Bengals drafted 4th last year and 21st this year. That is besides the fact that picks a year away are generally considered a round later in trade discussions. In that scenario you would be trading #10 for 2nd round picks. That is not how you win.