tight end situation

Are both Campbell and Euhus on IR and therefore out in any potential playoff situation? I think I remember seeing that Euhus won't make it back on a practice field till late spring.

It sure would be nice to have some TE experience in critical games. Right now, we have to hope that Peters, Neufeld and Trafford will do their magic.

What do you all think about next year? Do we draft or sign another TE in worries about Euhus' ability to make it back from the injury, or Campbell's not yet reaching the upper echelon of TEs? Anyone know who will be available? Do we push Peters back into the OL shuffle or start exploring him as a real weapon with the ball?

No "let's not talk about next year" replies, please. It's fun to discuss while we wait, and far more interesting than worrying about whether the top teams will rest their guys, which we'll find out in due time.

We need a #1 TE. Eventually Euhus could develop, but I want someone further along next year. Campbell is a good complimentary TE, but shouldn't be the main guy.

Losing both TEs is going to hurt us against playoff caliber teams if we make it to next week. I don't think Neufeld, Peters, Trafford or Banta belong on NFL rosters as TEs. Peters will be around next year as a backup OL (or maybe even DL) & special teams monster, the rest will be gone by opening day 2005.

I would make finding a better pass catching TE a top priority for '05, are there any UFA's avail at the TE position that anyone is aware of???

182957[/snapback]

Yeah, TE is an area that could use a lot of improvement. It's easy to get enamored or even just be satisfied with the talent at a position when the team is on a roll, but objectively, even with Campbell and Euhus healthy it was a position that lacked a true difference maker at TE.

I don't expect much from either player next year, and if Bledsoe is going to be the QB the team should look to add a playmaker to that position if possible. Unfortunately, not a particularly good TE draft. Free agents like Big Bubba and Marcus Pollard are good, but they have both been somewhat disappointing players and you have to be leery about paying big dollars for guys who their teams aren't all that thrilled with.

I'm anxiously awaiting the first "Trade Travis Henry for Antonio Gates" post. :lol:

Are both Campbell and Euhus on IR and therefore out in any potential playoff situation?  I think I remember seeing that Euhus won't make it back on a practice field till late spring.

182951[/snapback]

To answer your primary question, Cambell is on IR. I thought Euhus was also, but he is still listed on the Bills roster. I'm not sure if it is just not updated.

Update....Euhus is on IR too. http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/7999543

I think Euhus has a ton of upside and campbell is solid for right now, but I do think that if a stud-TE like a Witten/McMichael 2nd-3rd rnd type guy is there when we pick, then we should definately consider taking such a player.

Yeah, TE is an area that could use a lot of improvement.  It's easy to get enamored or even just be satisfied with the talent at a position when the team is on a roll, but objectively, even with Campbell and Euhus healthy it was a position that lacked a true difference maker at TE.

I don't expect much from either player next year, and if Bledsoe is going to be the QB the team should look to add a playmaker to that position if possible.  Unfortunately, not a particularly good TE draft.  Free agents like Big Bubba and Marcus Pollard are good, but they have both been somewhat disappointing players and you have to be leery about paying big dollars for guys who their teams aren't all that thrilled with.

I'm anxiously awaiting the first "Trade Travis Henry for Antonio Gates" post. :lol:

183014[/snapback]

Not unless SD throws in a 1st round pick. :lol:

How does the 05 draft look for OC, RG and RB?

Though some see TE as a #1 priority it appears clear that the Bills braintrust doesn't feel that way in terms of using major draft or FA resources for this need. I think they feel it is important as MM is a former TE and Bledsoe prospered so much from the prescence of Ben Coates, Its just that they show little sign of spending large resources on the position even though there were a few well respected TEs in the draft last year, but we devoted our resources to higher priorities for this O at WR and the QB of the future.

Having secured these players and seemingly righted the ship of state on the OL have we finally gotten enough in place that we can entertain the TE position.

I doubt this for several reasons:

1. We have some TE resources in place I doubt we will give up them on since TD/MM obviously believe in them and they did demonstrate some production.

A. The Bills seemed quite pleased with Campbell prior to his injury and he had one outstanding game this year which will keep hope alive as far as his potential. I don't see the Bills giving up on him and devoting resources to find the next Ben Coates unless there is something we don't know about the severity of his injury.

B. Euhus also had reasonable development for a rookie though he was not outstanding. Given that I'm sure MM has supreme confidence in his ability to develop a TE I don't see them giving up on someone they drafted as high as Euhus by spending resources on a new answer.

C. Peters rep is actually as a pass catcher rather than a blocker, I think we brought him up as a tackle not because we see him there but because this was an efficent way to work on his blocking game.

2. Drafting and buying talent isn't the only way for the Bills to get talent at TE. MM's experience at the position could just as easily lead him to not draft a proven talent like a Watson because he is confident that he can get great play out of a Euhus or Peters through his teaching. I don't see us drafting or using precious FA dollars on TE.

3. We have other needs bigger than a primetime TE.

The potential injury to WM last week demonstrated a desire for more RB depth particularly if we trade Henry. The Bills still have JP at #3 and despite a nice performance by Matthews in garbage timr, a back-up QB may be what we're after. The potential loss of Jennnings may make getting tackle help a bigger priority than TE. The pass rush has gotten good production thanks to use of the run blitz, but ur DEs still do not demand a double team.

We do want the next Ben Coates, but I think it is pretty doubtful we will spend FA or major draft (already lessened in '05 by getting JP) resources on TE.

The Bills could have have Wiggins this year. However they probably did what they'll do next year, i.e. look at their roster and say "we have Soup, we have Neufeld, and we have a promising youngster in Euhus. We don't need another TE." Not saying it's right and I hope that Euhus turns out to be a stud, but that's probably the way it will happen.