The Masters - Who you got?

erynthered

Score card question...whats the filled in square represent..i know a square is a bogey, 2 squares double bogey, etc...but i saw a couple with the square filled in...is it a penalty stroke?

There's no agreed-upon specification. I've always learned to circle a birdie on a scorecard. TV is just trying to highlight birdies, bogeys, & "others" in some sort of way.

This is an interesting tournament and I've watched every Masters since '94, when I was out in the woods (no pun) of Augusta at Ft. Gordon* when Jose Maria Olazabal won his first of two.

* If your kid is in the Army, steer him/her towards the Signal Corps... we have the best golf courses.

No they had it both ways...filled in and just squared unfilled...it has to mean something

There's no agreed-upon specification. I've always learned to circle a birdie on a scorecard. TV is just trying to highlight birdies, bogeys, & "others" in some sort of way.

This is an interesting tournament and I've watched every Masters since '94, when I was out in the woods (no pun) of Augusta at Ft. Gordon* when Jose Maria Olazabal won his first of two.

* If your kid is in the Army, steer him/her towards the Signal Corps... we have the best golf courses.

No they had it both ways...filled in and just squared unfilled...it has to mean something

Yes. It draws attention to something other than a boring par. That's what they're trying to accomplish.

I'm just guessing, though. The Royal & Ancient had no rules for such things.

Score card question...whats the filled in square represent..i know a square is a bogey, 2 squares double bogey, etc...but i saw a couple with the square filled in...is it a penalty stroke?

Triple bogey or worse.

It is how they showed it on the cbs broadcast...indicating a video clip doesnt mske sense...and if i recall it was a 5 on a par 4 so triple or worse doesnt make sense either...

No, all it means is that there is a video clip from that hole.

It is how they showed it on the cbs broadcast...indicating a video clip doesnt mske sense...and if i recall it was a 5 on a par 4 so triple or worse doesnt make sense either...

In that case, all they are doing then is making it stand out more. I know the scoreboard on the website has them highlighted because there is a video, but if they are doing it on the broadcast it's just to make it more visually appealing.

I know i keep beating a dead horse but cbs had both outlined squares and 2 solid squares that i saw. Could have sworn phil had a 5 on the front nine that was solid, somewhere between 6-9 iirc...i am trying to find an example on line

In that case, all they are doing then is making it stand out more. I know the scoreboard on the website has them highlighted because there is a video, but if they are doing it on the broadcast it's just to make it more visually appealing.

A filled in square is double bogey or worse. Circles are under par, on a hole, squares over. I hope Bubba can hang on here and win. Oosthuisen has been one of the luckiest SOBs in today's round. His double eagle was ridiculous.

Edit:BUBBA! Great win! Another one for all of lefties out there!

Edited by Ramius

A filled in square is double bogey or worse. Circles are under par, on a hole, squares over. I hope Bubba can hang on here and win. Oosthuisen has been one of the luckiest SOBs in today's round. His double eagle was ridiculous.

Edit:BUBBA! Great win! Another one for all of lefties out there!

You got it. They do it on the telecast I believe because doing a double square/circle would look roughly similar to a single square/circle and filling it in helps it stand out more.

Bubba is my favorite golfer and has been since I saw him play in person last year at Bay Hill. He is a great guy that wears his heart on his sleeve and is going about the game of golf his own way. He is truly something special that we may never see the likes of again. His second shot on 10 was easily the most incredible shot I have ever seen. Hooking a wedge 40 yards to within 10 feet of the pin is impossible to do, let alone during the playoff for the Masters while your opponent is sitting off the front in 2 with a relatively simple (for a Tour Pro) up-and-down. We will see replays of that shot 25 years down the road. Go Bubba!!!

Oh, and I feel that this is pretty appropriate right now...

For my 35th edit of this post... why can't I get it to embed in here? I thought if you just posted the link to the Youtube video it would embed itself in the post. Oh well, still funny as hell.

Edited by Marcellosaurus