Tall QBs in the NFL

Interesting article on NFL.com featured around Brock Osweiler:

Osweiler hopes to outshine NFL's tallest QBs

I know there are some who believe we should draft Osweiler in the 2nd or 3rd round... but this article provides some evidence against it.

Cam Newton and Ben Roethlisberger at 6'5" were conveniently left off this list. Although I won't rave about Osweiller's skillset I will say he looks to be pretty mobile and agile for his size, not the statue that most people that size tend to be.

Cam Newton and Ben Roethlisberger at 6'5" were conveniently left off this list. Although I won't rave about Osweiller's skillset I will say he looks to be pretty mobile and agile for his size, not the statue that most people that size tend to be.

Well the article is focused on QBs who are 6'6" and taller. Osweiler is 6'8".

There are plenty of 6'5" QBs who have been successful (Peyton Manning, Pillip Rivers), thats probably right around the average height for an NFL QB.

Well the article is focused on QBs who are 6'6" and taller. Osweiler is 6'8".

There are plenty of 6'5" QBs who have been successful (Peyton Manning, Pillip Rivers), thats probably right around the average height for an NFL QB.

i mentioned this several times around the mallett discussion -- i once heard a former gm, dont remember who, talking about huge outliers like this. They basically said if you were taller/shorter or heavier/lighter etc... then the second tallest person to be successful at the position, that they tended to pull them from boards as it would take being absolutely exceptional in other areas to make up for some of the weaknesses that come with being so far out. IE not only would this kid have to be freakishly tall, but hed have to be freakishly athletic for someone that tall to be even average athletic for a guy thats 6'4 (cliffnotes version, and obviously there are exceptions, but it was an interesting thought process)

Fitz is 6-2, which is definitely on the shorter end of the scale. It sounds like one of the criteria for finding a franchise quarterback should be height.. try to find a guy between 6'2" - 6'5". Obviously there will be a few outliers (Brees, Vick) but it's probably a pretty good place to start.

Luck is 6'4", RGIII is 6'2", Tannehill is 6'4".

Well the article is focused on QBs who are 6'6" and taller. Osweiler is 6'8".There are plenty of 6'5" QBs who have been successful (Peyton Manning, Pillip Rivers), thats probably right around the average height for an NFL QB.

6'6 7/8" at the combine.

Joe Flaco 6' 6", 245 lbs - he never looked that tall to me on TV whenver I saw him.

speaking of which --- surprised it's not been posted

Joe Flacco: I'm the best quarterback in the NFL

ESPN, CBSSPORTS, USATODAY etc :doh:

I wouldn't put Joe Flacco among "the best qb's" in the NFL, but I'd also say he isn't nearly as bad as a lot of people make him out to be. He's been to the afcc twice in the last 4 years. Only not making the sb this year because of a Lee Evans drop. Best qb in the NFL? Obv not...Pretty good? Yeah

I wouldn't put Joe Flacco among "the best qb's" in the NFL, but I'd also say he isn't nearly as bad as a lot of people make him out to be. He's been to the afcc twice in the last 4 years. Only not making the sb this year because of a Lee Evans drop. Best qb in the NFL? Obv not...Pretty good? Yeah

FTR.. because of a Lee Evans drop sorry that wasn't a drop. Lee and the Ravens were robbed!!!!

Oh I agree. He's a solid QB. But his claom to be the BEST in the NFL is laughable.

Brees, Rogers, Brady, Eli and Peyton Manning (until proven he can't play)

Hell - Look whos just above him in passing yards and he had injured ribs half the season!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Passing&sort=4&conference=NFL

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Joe Flaco 6' 6", 245 lbs - he never looked that tall to me on TV whenver I saw him.

speaking of which --- surprised it's not been posted

Joe Flacco: I'm the best quarterback in the NFL

ESPN, CBSSPORTS, USATODAY etc :doh:

Did anybody actually hear this interview? If you go by the printed version, it sounds like he's all cocky and deluded. If you listen to the real interview, with a full audience laughing, you know that he's half joking, but he also said he's sure that every quarterback in the NFL thinks that he's the best.

I am sure of that, too. When I was in high school, I always thought I was going to win every game in my sport - basketball. Every game - no matter the size of the other team. And, if we'd lose, I'd still think we and I are better than them!

It's got to be 100X that for somebody who is 1000X the athlete I was.