Tampa Bay 4, Washington 2

So, to recap:

Heart-attack city last night, but what a win. No 3rd period drama, just like I asked. :doh:

Sabres magic number vs. Washington = 5 (Sabres only control 4 of those)

Sabres magic number vs. Florida = 8 (again, Sabres only control 4)

Ideal scenario Thursday night would be a Sabres win (of any kind) and a Florida regulation win. That would clinch the division for Florida, but give Buffalo a magic number of 1 with Washington going into Saturday. In other words, the Sabres would again control their own destiny.

Also acceptable would be a Washington win in regulation, because it keeps alive the possibility of catching either team, but the Sabres would be reliant upon either the Rangers or Hurricanes coming up with a regulation win on Saturday.

Bottom line -- win in Philly, then win in Boston. Chances are at least "decent" Washington won't pick up all four points against Florida and the Rangers.

Heading to my first NHL game tonight. Probably gonna wear some 'Cuse orange just to blend in. My Flyers fan buddy says he wants to lose so they can play Florida instead of Pittsburgh in the 1st round. I wonder if the team will take the same approach?

Go Sabres

Heading to my first NHL game tonight. Probably gonna wear some 'Cuse orange just to blend in. My Flyers fan buddy says he wants to lose so they can play Florida instead of Pittsburgh in the 1st round. I wonder if the team will take the same approach?

Go Sabres

It's such a long shot with them 3 up on New Jersey. And if playing Florida was such a big deal, don't you think New Jersey would do the same exact thing? Philly can't possibly lose that 3 point lead if Jersey wants to stay where they are.

It's such a long shot with them 3 up on New Jersey. And if playing Florida was such a big deal, don't you think New Jersey would do the same exact thing? Philly can't possibly lose that 3 point lead if Jersey wants to stay where they are.

Not necessarily. This is sports. Lots of coaches have that stupid/macho "we don't care who we play" attitude. Maybe Laviolette is one of them and it's all moot - I don't really know. But anyone with a half a brain knows this stuff matters - Montreal did all of Philly's dirty work 2yrs ago when they went to the finals.

Edited by BuffOrange

Not necessarily. This is sports. Lots of coaches have that stupid/macho "we don't care who we play" attitude. Maybe Laviolette is one of them and it's all moot - I don't really know. But anyone with a half a brain knows this stuff matters - Montreal did all of Philly's dirty work 2yrs ago when they went to the finals.

What it all comes down to is what needs to happen to both Philly and New Jersey in order for them to switch positions is incredibly unlikely. Laviolette will pull up if he thinks it is to his advantage though. Just look at what the Flyers did in their matchup with us at the end of the season last year.

Either way, the Flyers do not have much to play for, so that's a good thing.

Sully tweeted that the Bruins were planning on resting a lot of players Saturday. They laid down a few years ago when I went to the last game of the year vs. Sabres. It was the game after the Sabres got eliminated and the Bruins had clinched all they could clinch.

It was 5-0 Sabres after the first period, IIRC.