FOX and DirecTV at it again.

Kevin

Message when I turn on FOX says that FOX has forced DirecTV to remove the channel from my lineup. They are working on getting it back on. I thought they had all this worked out?

Have fun with that. In Boston we were without NBC and CW for weeks - even threatened the Super Bowl. Because that Pats* kept winning and made it all the way to the Super Bowl, the owner of the NBC and CW affiliates had DTV by the short and curlies - I was hoping for the Pats* to lose more than normal, just to get my wife off my back about how she was missing all her shows on CW.....

Have fun with that. In Boston we were without NBC and CW for weeks - even threatened the Super Bowl. Because that Pats* kept winning and made it all the way to the Super Bowl, the owner of the NBC and CW affiliates had DTV by the short and curlies - I was hoping for the Pats* to lose more than normal, just to get my wife off my back about how she was missing all her shows on CW.....

Is there something local with ESPN now? My gym has their tv service through DirecTV and now all of a sudden ESPN has been replaced with YES.

Is there something local with ESPN now? My gym has their tv service through DirecTV and now all of a sudden ESPN has been replaced with YES.

The ESPN contract (for the national ESPN channels) is probably negotiated with ESPN directly for all markets - ESPN hasn't changed on my lineup - I wouldn't think it would elsewhere in the country, either. YES is one of the premium sports channels you can get nationwide - in the NYC metro area it may be considered part of your local package (in Boston NESN is part of the basic package but it is premium elsewhere).

The Fox/CW problem is that Tribune broadcasting, which owns several stations in several markets, has not come to an agreement with DTV, so DTV cannot carry those channels in those markets. When we had our NBC/CW dispute in Boston the same company also owned a Fox affiliate in Miami that also went off DTV for a few weeks.

The ESPN contract (for the national ESPN channels) is probably negotiated with ESPN directly for all markets - ESPN hasn't changed on my lineup - I wouldn't think it would elsewhere in the country, either. YES is one of the premium sports channels you can get nationwide - in the NYC metro area it may be considered part of your local package (in Boston NESN is part of the basic package but it is premium elsewhere).

The Fox/CW problem is that Tribune broadcasting, which owns several stations in several markets, has not come to an agreement with DTV, so DTV cannot carry those channels in those markets. When we had our NBC/CW dispute in Boston the same company also owned a Fox affiliate in Miami that also went off DTV for a few weeks.

I probably should have mentioned that I'm in Boston too, which is why I asked. My gym must have some crazy setup. They were hit with that NBC situation at the start of the year though, so I know it's DirecTV.

Was at a local watering hole this past weekend, they had Direct TV. They kept flashing something about Direct TV and Tribune Media not being able to come up with a deal. That woudl affect a lot of stations. Nearly evey channel on my Time Warner system is copy-right "Tribune Media"

It is nationwide, it's just not the fox affiliate in every market.

Was at a local watering hole this past weekend, they had Direct TV. They kept flashing something about Direct TV and Tribune Media not being able to come up with a deal. That woudl affect a lot of stations. Nearly evey channel on my Time Warner system is copy-right "Tribune Media"

That's impossible.

Call DTV and ask for a distant network waiver. That will allow you to get the national Fox channel while your local channel is off. I got NBC 4 New York while Boston NBC 7 was off.

PTR

I don't think that they're allowed to do that legally to all customers. You may have qualified because you live in the boondocks.

I don't think that they're allowed to do that legally to all customers. You may have qualified because you live in the boondocks.

I live in what is considered the Boston TSA (s.nh). There are only a handful of counties in the USA that aren't part of a TV market.

PTR

Call DTV and ask for a distant network waiver. That will allow you to get the national Fox channel while your local channel is off. I got NBC 4 New York while Boston NBC 7 was off.

PTR

Not sure where you live, but we were not eligible for that when 7 NBC went off in Boston - I thought you had to live pretty far away from the source of the impacetd channel to qualify to receive another feed from the same network......

Not sure where you live, but we were not eligible for that when 7 NBC went off in Boston - I thought you had to live pretty far away from the source of the impacetd channel to qualify to receive another feed from the same network......

Manchester NH. Hardly the boonies.

PTR

Manchester NH. Hardly the boonies.

PTR

I'm surprised to hear that you were able to get an alternate NBC feed if you live in Manch Vegas - that is defintely not the sticks (but is is much further out from Boston than me - I'm in Chelmsford, MA).