Conservatism Linked to Low Brain Power

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ, the ultimate liberal in a very conservative world. What happened to him? They nailed him to a cross with a "revolutionary" on each side while Barabbas walked free. If that ain't the epitome of lazy thinking because of a heavy "cognitive load." Pilate knew it and his head rolled (literally).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Oh, I see.....

So now that the "it wasn't bad policy, it was the messaging" excuse is completely worn out.....we have "well, it's not fair because we have to work harder?" And, "it's not our fault people don't take time to think our (actually awful) policies through"? :lol:

I wonder: where is the study that examines libertarians? As in those who say: "I have listened to and considered in great detail, if not lived, everything you have ever had to say, liberals, and as a country we've even tried a lot of it. It sucks, it never produces the results you promise, and more often than not, causes unintended problems that, more often than not, are worse than the problems your policies fail to solve".

If you talk to most libertarians, they've arrived there via the above analysis. I highly doubt you can find one that didn't. And, the above represents a much higher order of thinking than most liberal thought: it seeks to determine performance of solutions, not merely sloppily assigning solution to problem, for the sake of the solution, without regard for how well it solves the problem, or if it does at all. Or, how much high-order thought went into "shovel-ready jobs"? :lol:

Now, the bible thumping ignoramus caricature that too many liberals believe represents all those opposed to them? Sure, this study may hold some insight as to why they aren't more like Jesus. :rolleyes:

But, Paul Ryan is whipping Obama every day, and is winning the budget argument. Is that because he hasn't carefully considered his positions? :lol:

Oh, I see.....

So now that the "it wasn't bad policy, it was the messaging" excuse is completely worn out.....we have "well, it's not fair because we have to work harder?" And, "it's not our fault people don't take time to think our (actually awful) policies through"? :lol:

I wonder: where is the study that examines libertarians? As in those who say: "I have listened to and considered in great detail, if not lived, everything you have ever had to say, liberals, and as a country we've even tried a lot of it. It sucks, it never produces the results you promise, and more often than not, causes unintended problems that, more often than not, are worse than the problems your policies fail to solve".

If you talk to most libertarians, they've arrived there via the above analysis. I highly doubt you can find one that didn't. And, the above represents a much higher order of thinking than most liberal thought: it seeks to determine performance of solutions, not merely sloppily assigning solution to problem, for the sake of the solution, without regard for how well it solves the problem, or if it does at all. Or, how much high-order thought went into "shovel-ready jobs"? :lol:

Now, the bible thumping ignoramus caricature that too many liberals believe represents all those opposed to them? Sure, this study may hold some insight as to why they aren't more like Jesus. :rolleyes:

But, Paul Ryan is whipping Obama every day, and is winning the budget argument. Is that because he hasn't carefully considered his positions? :lol:

I'm not so sure I want you and Absolut arguing for me.

I genuinely had to stop reading by the second paragraph.

"This gap has long puzzled scholars. If left and right ideologies comprise a mutually dependent yin-yang system, reflecting different approaches to meeting our most basic needs, shouldn’t they be held by roughly the same proportion of people?."

Scholars. Can't live with 'em...pass the peanuts.

I genuinely had to stop reading by the second paragraph.

"This gap has long puzzled scholars. If left and right ideologies comprise a mutually dependent yin-yang system, reflecting different approaches to meeting our most basic needs, shouldn’t they be held by roughly the same proportion of people?."

Scholars. Can't live with 'em...pass the peanuts.

This is just the latest "study"

this same type of story, comes out about every six months........................funny and sad at the same time.

The majority of the country is, and always has been conservative, so this " they aren't as smart as us, we need to educate (see lead) them" nonsense is repeated to make them "feel " better.

I support this article. :)

haha...if for nothing else than to see the most conservative of conservative flip out

Yes, we're all flipping out because "scholars" can't understand why, if there exist two political ideals, the country is not evenly divided by those ideals.

Yes, we're all flipping out because "scholars" can't understand why, if there exist two political ideals, the country is not evenly divided by those ideals.

I will never understand you libs.......

I'll say this, the meat of the content of the article and study didn't reflect the perception of the title. Did you guys even read the whole thing?

Newly published research proposes a somewhat different, and quite provocative, answer.

A research team led by University of Arkansas psychologist Scott Eidelman argues that conservatism — which the researchers identify as “an emphasis on personal responsibility, acceptance of hierarchy, and a preference for the status quo” — may be our default ideology. If we don’t have the time or energy to give a matter sufficient thought, we tend to accept the conservative argument.

“When effortful, deliberate responding is disrupted or disengaged, thought processes become quick and efficient,” the researchers write in the Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. “These conditions promote conservative ideology.”

Eidelman and his colleagues’ paper will surely outrage many on the left (who will resist the notion of conservatism as somehow natural) and the right (who will take offense to the idea that their ideology is linked to low brainpower). The researchers do their best to preemptively answer such criticism.

“We do not assert that conservatives fail to engage in effortful, deliberate thought,” they insist. “We find that when effortful thought is disengaged, the first step people take tends to be in a conservative direction.”

Like the article from the opening post the article you posted is nothing more that the author's opinion of what the findings of the original study was. Not to mention his failure to provide a link to the study so that we can see what questions were asked and what the answers were, as well as where the study was done and the method of statistics was. Not to mention whether or not it was peer reviewed and if the peer review found the same results using the same method.

So if we don't know what the data were, we can't make our own opinion on the study. Then we're no better that someone like you has needs others to tell them what the study says.

Like the article from the opening post the article you posted is nothing more that the author's opinion of what the findings of the original study was. Not to mention his failure to provide a link to the study so that we can see what questions were asked and what the answers were, as well as where the study was done and the method of statistics was. Not to mention whether or not it was peer reviewed and if the peer review found the same results using the same method.

So if we don't know what the data were, we can't make our own opinion on the study. Then we're no better that someone like you has needs others to tell them what the study says.

I did an independent analysis and confirmed the study has proven beyond a doubt that the conservative ideas are the primordial default in our lizard brains and all the liberal ideas are heightened, evolved thinking that should rule society.

You might want go back to the article and click on where it says "study" and then download the pdf file that will give you the details of the Zogby Survey that you're criticizing. Also, per the bolded part above, do you feel compelled to post at least one incoherent sentence per post?

You might want go back to the article and click on where it says "study" and then download the pdf file that will give you the details of the Zogby Survey that you're criticizing. Also, per the bolded part above, do you feel compelled to post at least one incoherent sentence per post?

Do you mean the part where it says "survey"?

I have neither the time or the energy.

:w00t: :w00t:

Did you just really write this! Cognitive overload=default ideology of conservativism. Let me guess Jim, you lean conservative. You are not helping the study... Even if it is hogwash. I mean... The article can be breezed through in 2 minutes.