Bills Mafia Has Players Bill-ieving

dcjoev

I'm liking the feedback I've got from you guys so far and really appreciate it. I have to admit that I held off on writing a story on BillsMafia because I thought it wouldn't last. I live in DC, but grew up in Rochester through the 70's and 80's, when the Italian Mafia was alive and well. I remember watching the violence play out on the news as a kid and asking my Mom & Dad if it was real. I later found out how real it was, when I researched it in college and learned the intracacies of the infamous A & B Teams that existed in NY State. It's true all right and you should google it sometime. So, I'd have to say that the Mafia moniker is a bit surprising to me (from a Twitter standpoint), because I wonder how many of those who came up with it, really know how close it actually was and/or still is to them. Upstate New York was notorious for mobsters back in the day, but many of them got pinched and didn't get out of jail til they were in their late 70's and 80's. But "The Families" still exist and perhaps the BillsMafia thinks that a "tie-in" to the name is warranted, because of their proximity (the past few decades) to organized crime.

Did you know that many famous mobsters were buried in Orange, and Herkimer counties? -HA! -Neither does the FBI! Just kidding. But seriously, a team assuming even a small part of the Sicillian mafia's fearsome persona, is nothing to take lightly. Say what you want about those old-world families, they stuck to their convictions and they got things done. Sadly, some of them wound up incarcerated on other -um, convictions, but that was part of the code. You took your lumps and you kept your mouth shut.

If anything in today's NFL is reminiscent of La Cosa Nostra, it would be the New Orleans Saint's Bounty scandal. Complete with paid hits, stoolies, and high-level members who get THE BOOK thrown at them by the authorities. Sure, they both were at the top for a while, but then it all came crashing down, didn't it? That, more than anything else makes me question using organized crime references as an impetus to on-the-field success.

That said, If we're 8-2 in November. "LOOK MA! TOP OF THE WORLD!" banners should be everywhere at the Ralph. Then and only then will the world be able to apreciate "this little thing of ours."

Edited by #34fan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I think you are reading this all wrong. It may be an unfortunate name, but from how I understand it, this started as a very noble thing -- the idea that too many people rag on Buffalo, its team, its players. Instead of absorbing the negativity and either letting it go (or worse, echoing it), these guys decided to defend the city and the players. Some team members picked up on the vibe, on the sense of camaraderie, and used it to bond, and to build a oneness with the community. I just can't see this as bad. To me, it feels like a beautiful thing -- one of the many aspects that makes Buffalo a special place, and the Bills a unique team to root for. It's not about "thug life" or anything, but about unity. But that's just how I see it.

Well said my friend, I do love this whole one for all all for one thing between the fans and players. We are long overdue of us loving the team and the team loving us. The "Us against the world" mentality is perfect! I have a feeling that after this season we are going to have plenty of players who would love to be on our team and I like that.........a lot!

Like I said, I'm for it as long as they don't have a show called BillsMafia Wives on VH1.

Lol!

Exactly. What other nicknames came out of those glory days that were not organic? Biscuit is a perfect example. The Thermanator is obviously a play on The Terminator.

BillsMafia is about as silly as Ochocinco. I understand there are all different types of Bills fans out there but this team is not about rap music, "swag", and bling. Walk through the lots on gameday. You hear classic rock, people driving old beat up vans, wearing jerseys they saved up for still bearing names like Thomas, Kelly, Reed, Smith. Trying to create something that doesn't exist, or at the most is a small niche of this market is not a solid attraction point to bring others on board. Altogether, when you incorporate a lifestyle that the BillsMafia represents with what Buffalo has always been there will be backlash. It doesn't mean it is wrong although it is very silly and immature seeming.

Wow! Normally we're on the same page, but I think you are way way off on this, my man.

You seem to be angry that "BillsMafia" somehow refers to black/hip-hop culture. You do understand what the mafia was, and the ethnic group it came from, right?

Also, the "mafia" part of it refers to being a close nit family that takes care of their own, and sticks up for each other against all outsiders. All us fans that have stuck together with the team through over a decade of misery, and are still willing to defend it. How can there be backlash against a movement that reminds every fan in Buffalo that WE (the players AND the fans) are all in this together for one common goal, and for each other?

And maybe it's time that we finally got a team that will help us replace those Kelly, Reed, and Smith jerseys. It's been almost 30 years... Time for a change. The "hip phrases" of 30 years ago arent going to fly with today's young fans and players (who are in their 20s as well).

Sorry, but I think you are reading this all wrong. It may be an unfortunate name, but from how I understand it, this started as a very noble thing -- the idea that too many people rag on Buffalo, its team, its players. Instead of absorbing the negativity and either letting it go (or worse, echoing it), these guys decided to defend the city and the players. Some team members picked up on the vibe, on the sense of camaraderie, and used it to bond, and to build a oneness with the community. I just can't see this as bad. To me, it feels like a beautiful thing -- one of the many aspects that makes Buffalo a special place, and the Bills a unique team to root for. It's not about "thug life" or anything, but about unity. But that's just how I see it.

Yep, nailed it.

Edited by DrDareustein

The article was great. As a fan living in a different county on the opposite side of the continent, it's always great to see new ways to connect with fellow fans. The fact that the players have joined in makes the BillsMafia a great movement in my eyes. Still don't like the slideshow, but I see the purpose in getting videos and photos. It does detract from the article. Regardless, thanks!

Wow! Normally we're on the same page, but I think you are way way off on this, my man.

You seem to be angry that "BillsMafia" somehow refers to black/hip-hop culture. You do understand what the mafia was, and the ethnic group it came from, right?

Also, the "mafia" part of it refers to being a close nit family that takes care of their own, and sticks up for each other against all outsiders. All us fans that have stuck together with the team through over a decade of misery, and are still willing to defend it. How can there be backlash against a movement that reminds every fan in Buffalo that WE (the players AND the fans) are all in this together for one common goal, and for each other?

And maybe it's time that we finally got a team that will help us replace those Kelly, Reed, and Smith jerseys. It's been almost 30 years... Time for a change. The "hip phrases" of 30 years ago arent going to fly with today's young fans and players (who are in their 20s as well).

I am not announcing my backlash against it just my discomfort with us being attributed to a hip-hop, bling bling, swag type of image when we haven't earned it. If this truly is a hip-hop image, the self promotion of being the best at everything, the self celebration is something I want to wait on. I want to wait until we can celebrate. Instead of us being all puff and smoke I want to wait until our record shows it, not our stats. Look at the Jets, Eagles, Bengals, and Cowboys. There are a lot of individuals that get celebrated, a lot of them with their own following (see the former OchoCinco). I want us celebrated as an entire team.

I don't think Mario Williams and many other players came to this team because we had a bunch of people harassing Schefter. Let our teams play defend our players, not our players defend our team.

Those 90's phrases all came after success and I am hoping our success and our popularity grow together.

I am not announcing my backlash against it just my discomfort with us being attributed to a hip-hop, bling bling, swag type of image when we haven't earned it. If this truly is a hip-hop image, the self promotion of being the best at everything, the self celebration is something I want to wait on. I want to wait until we can celebrate. Instead of us being all puff and smoke I want to wait until our record shows it, not our stats. Look at the Jets, Eagles, Bengals, and Cowboys. There are a lot of individuals that get celebrated, a lot of them with their own following (see the former OchoCinco). I want us celebrated as an entire team.

I don't think Mario Williams and many other players came to this team because we had a bunch of people harassing Schefter. Let our teams play defend our players, not our players defend our team.

Those 90's phrases all came after success and I am hoping our success and our popularity grow together.

The Billsmafia banner has absolutely NOTHING to do with hip-hop or the rap culture. None. Nada. Zippo. It's a group of fans supporting the team, under a banner that the fans and players absolutely love.

If you cant understand this, then there's no helping you. Dr. Dareus said it best.

jboyst, see Ramius above me. BillsMafia has NOTHING to do with any type of "swag, bling bling" anything. Im not even sure where you got that idea from. The ONLY thing it stands for is everyone being in this together, as a tight-knit family. Ease up and give it a chance, amigo. :thumbsup:

I'd also like to add that there's very little difference between TwoBillsDrive and #BillsMafia on twitter. Its a way for groups of fans around the world to identify with their team.

By using the #Billsmafia tag, i've had twitter conversations with Arthur Moats, David Nelson, Nick Barnett, and AJ Williams.

Edited by Ramius

I'd also like to add that there's very little difference between TwoBillsDrive and #BillsMafia on twitter. Its a way for groups of fans around the world to identify with their team.

Are you telling me that TwoBillsDrive also represents thug life?

You're welcome, my friend. I wrote a reply earlier in this thread about why I used the slide show format for this article. I really try hard not to use them often, because they drive me nuts too. Fortunately, I had a lot of info to cover, so each slide is longer than your typical sentence or two that seem commonplace in slideshows these days.

I'd also like you to know that I used a re-edit Sunday evening to add a response from this thread. The feedback from The Stadium Wall crew has been tremendous and they deserve some props. I also provide a link in the story to Pittsburgh's "Steel City Mafia" which was started by a group of Steeler fans from Tennessee a few years back.

Hey Joe, I enjoyed reading your article, despite the damned slide show format.

I had heard the term BillsMafia, but thought maybe it was just a Twitter group.

Thanks for the article.

Hi there, I'm actually the guy who started this whole #BillsMafia thing. So if you don't like it, blame me. :)

Thanks for taking the time to put this article together, and while it is flattering that you took the time to do it and carried a positive vibe throughout it, I really wish you would have reached out to me first, as the website requests (http://bit.ly/HAxjwS)... or at the very least attribute sources to the quotes you have in here (most of the ones in here I have never personally read myself and they don't ring a bell).

But I wanted to point out that there are inaccuracies in here that could have been avoided.

1. I have *never* realistically heard of the gimmick regarding wearing mafia suits -- something I wouldn't endorse. That picture was from a joke "new year's" article on BuffaloObserver.com and was not serious.

Check the page again -- the mafia suit claim was directly below the prediction that hydrofracking would give Buffalonians super-powers (http://buffaloobserver.com/2012/01/12/5-fantastic-predictions-for-buffalo-in-2012/)

2. The logos and blogs began BEFORE the 5-2 run. It all happened it August 2011, before the team began winning -- heck, before they even played their first preseason game. That's important to realize because this is NOT a bandwagon effort, but rather an expression of the love we have always had for our team and the faith we have that the time is coming that we will be back in the playoffs again someday (soon).

3. The pic of the shirtless guy was actually made by a Jets fan(!) who was making fun of the Buffalonian stereotype.

So, thanks again but please... next time spend the extra time and effort to follow through with your sources to ensure you are getting the story correct.

Thanks,

Del (aka @mrdeadlier on Twitter)

Hi there, I'm actually the guy who started this whole #BillsMafia thing. So if you don't like it, blame me. :)

Thanks for taking the time to put this article together, and while it is flattering that you took the time to do it and carried a positive vibe throughout it, I really wish you would have reached out to me first, as the website requests (http://bit.ly/HAxjwS)... or at the very least attribute sources to the quotes you have in here (most of the ones in here I have never personally read myself and they don't ring a bell).

But I wanted to point out that there are inaccuracies in here that could have been avoided.

1. I have *never* realistically heard of the gimmick regarding wearing mafia suits -- something I wouldn't endorse. That picture was from a joke "new year's" article on BuffaloObserver.com and was not serious.

Check the page again -- the mafia suit claim was directly below the prediction that hydrofracking would give Buffalonians super-powers (http://buffaloobserv...uffalo-in-2012/)

2. The logos and blogs began BEFORE the 5-2 run. It all happened it August 2011, before the team began winning -- heck, before they even played their first preseason game. That's important to realize because this is NOT a bandwagon effort, but rather an expression of the love we have always had for our team and the faith we have that the time is coming that we will be back in the playoffs again someday (soon).

3. The pic of the shirtless guy was actually made by a Jets fan(!) who was making fun of the Buffalonian stereotype.

So, thanks again but please... next time spend the extra time and effort to follow through with your sources to ensure you are getting the story correct.

Thanks,

Del (aka @mrdeadlier on Twitter)

Thanks for coming on and clearing that stuff up. And it all sounds pretty fun and cool to me, especially with the players having a blast with it.

That said, the article wasn't a TwoBillsDrive or Stadium Wall thing, it was just a thread here from a guy who wrote the Bleacher Report article who has 35 posts. ;)

Thanks for coming on and clearing that stuff up. And it all sounds pretty fun and cool to me, especially with the players having a blast with it.

That said, the article wasn't a TwoBillsDrive or Stadium Wall thing, it was just a thread here from a guy who wrote the Bleacher Report article who has 35 posts. ;)

Isn't that where all the best start? Pat Moran did!

Thanks. We're having a lot of fun with it. And I guess that's a good point...