BlackBerry playbook

stevestojan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But aside from games, what does the iPhone offer? That was my real question as it seems most of the important tools are available on all platforms.

Silly goose. The little hipster Apple logo and white headphones.

Anyway... Verizon must have dropped dead while creaming their pants. On Thursday I walked in and finally upgraded my 2006/6 year old LG flip fail/dumb phones... Myself getting the Droid 4 and my crazy wife pestering for a iPhone (iphone4s)... Hey, we did an even split in the Apple v. Android/Samsung war! Those old LG phones were warhorses! Same battery over 6 years! I hope I made the right choice... Those phones were free and they gave me 60 bucks for them... The Droid had a 50 dollars off ($150.00)... Now my wife can live the chic Apple fangirl dream! :wallbash: :wallbash: My son is in the Android camp and has Cricket... The Huawei Mercury seems like a nice phone also.

Think I will get 6 years out of these phones? :lol: Yeah right!

\Same battery over 6 years! I hope I made the right choice... Think I will get 6 years out of these phones? :lol: Yeah right!

If the experience at the office is any indication, you have a 50/50 chance of your iPhone battery dying in about 1.5 years. As in it doesn't hold a charge that lasts more than an hour. And can you replace the battery? Nope...

And yet you haven't been able to give a single example. :lol:

Here's one example: my wife has a business and is not tech savvy. She has a Droid but will be changing to the iPhone after purchasing an iPad for her business. Her POS system is Square. She wants the same interface on whichever device she is using. After a year, she still has issues locating stuff on her Android phone. The simplicity of the UI on the iPhone is easier for her. Did I mention that she is not tech savvy?

So I sold my 2 ipad 3s (the "new ipad") for nominal gain. But right now I'm typing this on a blackberry playbook. This thing has better specs than the ipad2, just a smaller screen. It is $499 retail now on sale at most office depots for $199. Best buy will price match but they are mostly sold out. Great tablet for $200.

It most definitely does NOT have better specs than the iPad 2. The Blackberry Playbook uses a OMAP 4430 SoC containing a PowerVR SGX 540, versus an A5 with a PowerVR SGX543MP2. The GPU alone is a huge difference, with the 540 putting out 3.2 gflops versus 12.8 gflops from the iPad 2 GPU. Not to mention the better architecture on the A5 than the TI OMAP 4430, and the iPad 2 blows away the Playbook in terms of raw processing power.

They benchmark that way too, with the iPad 2 blowing away the Playbook in browser marks.

Now, if you're talking about all the other stuff, like RAM (doesn't matter near as much to iOS as limited multitasking), cameras, etc then yes, the playbook is better.

It most definitely does NOT have better specs than the iPad 2. The Blackberry Playbook uses a OMAP 4430 SoC containing a PowerVR SGX 540, versus an A5 with a PowerVR SGX543MP2. The GPU alone is a huge difference, with the 540 putting out 3.2 gflops versus 12.8 gflops from the iPad 2 GPU. Not to mention the better architecture on the A5 than the TI OMAP 4430, and the iPad 2 blows away the Playbook in terms of raw processing power.

They benchmark that way too, with the iPad 2 blowing away the Playbook in browser marks.

Now, if you're talking about all the other stuff, like RAM (doesn't matter near as much to iOS as limited multitasking), cameras, etc then yes, the playbook is better.

Apple fanboi! ;)

I'm curious about that statement. In general, my Blackberry does everything I want it to:

1) Phone calls

2) Excellent email (far better than the iPhone)

3) Twitter

4) Web surfing

5) Flixster

6) SSH client (to login to servers)

7) Shazam (if I don't know a song playing on the radio)

Yeah, the iPhone has a bunch of games - but I'd rather read through Twitter or the web than play a game on a tiny screen. Other than games, what else does the iPhone do that a BB doesn't? Not much from what I've seen of people at work.

That said, one of the biggest complaints about the Playbook is that there isn't an email client. Why does BlackBerry, king of email, not have a client on their tablet...???

Its likely because you haven't used the platforms that you don't know all the advantages. On Android, for instance, I *love* the new Chrome beta, and being able to share tabs and sessions between my tablet, PC, phone, and seamlessly jump back and forth is awesome, for example.

NFL Sunday Ticket app worked great for when I was on the go, DirecTV Nomad works great on my iOS device, Pulse is a fantastic newsreader with community-based reading features and personalized reading built in, having Tasker to automate tasks on my Android devices is amazing - I have it automatically mute my phone when there's a meeting on my calendar, turn on wifi when I get in range of my house or work automatically, turn on bluetooth when I'm driving around automatically, etc.

I just downloaded an app for the cruise ship I'm sailing on next week that allows me to check my balance, make restaurant and show reservations, communicate with other people on the ship with the app without paying for wifi, etc. Guess what OSes its for? iOS and Android.

Having Google Talk built into all my devices is way better than texting, as I can choose to respond over PC, tablet, or phone and continue the conversation there.

Blackberry was built with security in mind, so there's email encryption, easy remote wipes if you lose the device, that sort of thing. With a BES server, BB really is the best solution for email. That said, there are options for iPhone that work, just not as well and not as securely. We use GOOD, and it works well enough.

That used to be the case, but BB's getting passed up for email now too. On Android, for example, you can encrypt the whole device, there's remote control and wiping via ActiveSync, and you can even have two different encrypted partitions: one for a "home" mode and one for a "work" mode, so you can keep completely separate environments depending on what you're doing.

The downside of BB really is that BES is unreliable, and everything has to go through Blackberry's network. With ActiveSync, it's a direct connection to the Exchange environment via HTTPS, so when Blackberry was down quite a bit last year, I wasn't affected. You should ask our Exchange guys how much of a pain in the ass maintaining BES is these days.

If the experience at the office is any indication, you have a 50/50 chance of your iPhone battery dying in about 1.5 years. As in it doesn't hold a charge that lasts more than an hour. And can you replace the battery? Nope...

Apple can replace an iPhone battery in their store for $80 in about 20 minutes or so at the local Apple Store.

I have it automatically mute my phone when there's a meeting on my calendar, turn on wifi when I get in range of my house or work automatically, turn on bluetooth when I'm driving around automatically, etc.

I could do that on my old Nokia phone running SymbianOS. Loved that OS, very ahead of its time.

Having Google Talk built into all my devices is way better than texting, as I can choose to respond over PC, tablet, or phone and continue the conversation there.

I had that installed on my Bold. I never used it, so left it off of my new Torch. I assume it's still available.

The downside of BB really is that BES is unreliable, and everything has to go through Blackberry's network. With ActiveSync, it's a direct connection to the Exchange environment via HTTPS, so when Blackberry was down quite a bit last year, I wasn't affected. You should ask our Exchange guys how much of a pain in the ass maintaining BES is these days.

I wasn't out at all during those BB outages -- which I found weird, and WISHED I was (since it's just work ;) ). BES seems pretty easy to maintain at this point too from chatting with the Windows folks. I'm intrigued about the security options for Android though, since our security team says that there's no good way to lock it down and that's why they aren't making it an option. I'd probably go Android if I could, mainly because I have the tablet already.

Apple can replace an iPhone battery in their store for $80 in about 20 minutes or so at the local Apple Store.

They were going to charge more than that because they didn't have AppleCare (secondhand info from multiple people in the office). Most people are just getting replacements since we'll probably be refreshing the entire phone fleet soon anyway.

I can change the Battery on my Blackberry in less then a minute from the time I have been handed the new battery at the store and paid for it. Don't need some "Genius" to do it for me :nana:

I bought a playbook before christmas and share it with my girlfriend. We use it all the time around the house and love it. The only downside to it, It takes about a minute to start up when turned off, its display isn't as big as an Ipad (although its size is also a plus cause its easier to travel with), and its a blackberry (who knows how stable or how long they will survive right now).

If you want something functional that is a tool rather then a toy, go Blackberry or Android. If your a 12 year old girl or want whats hip and cool with all the fancy toys, go apple :nana:

What makes the email on BB better than the iPhone? I had a BB and now an iPhone and I really don't know what makes one email better than the other. And I don't get the whole app thing. I have a bunch but don't use too many of them. The one I probably use the most is Nextbus which tells me when the buses are running in SF and I had that on my BB. I really hate how quickly the battery dies on my iPhone.

Really? I always pictured you as still having a rotary phone and happy with it

I can change the Battery on my Blackberry in less then a minute from the time I have been handed the new battery at the store and paid for it. Don't need some "Genius" to do it for me :nana:

I don't see replaceable batteries as that big of a deal anymore. How many times do you have to replace a battery? And portable USB chargers can provide way more charges than just a backup battery as they can be larger. ZAGG's has a 6000 maH battery, for instance.

I'm likely going to pick up the HTC One X when it comes out, and that doesn't have a replaceable battery either.

I don't see replaceable batteries as that big of a deal anymore. How many times do you have to replace a battery? And portable USB chargers can provide way more charges than just a backup battery as they can be larger. ZAGG's has a 6000 maH battery, for instance.

I'm likely going to pick up the HTC One X when it comes out, and that doesn't have a replaceable battery either.

For me unfortunately I need a replaceable battery. I have the galaxy nexus and I have to change the battery by 2:00pm every day.

I also have the verizon galaxy nexus...i got the uograde battery when it was 1/2 price. I havent officially tested it but it seems the extended battery doesnt last as long as the original. Hoping ICS 4.0.5 improves the battery usage.

For me unfortunately I need a replaceable battery. I have the galaxy nexus and I have to change the battery by 2:00pm every day.

I was telling her that. They do say to totally discharge it from time to time (every month)... Does that help? Even my Motorola Droid 4 says that you are supposed to let them change the battery... Huh? I saw the Verizon rep take the back off and put my old SD card in (old phone had Mini SD slot which I had a Micro SD card in a Mini Adapter). I didn't see what he did with the battery... I just assumed he put the battery in? The cover on the Droid was finicky... Wouldn't lay flush on one tab and supposedly they put a new back on it.

Anyway... I have a 7 year old Garmin GPS (Quest=Jeep TrailGuide) with a sealed battery... That is still going strong... Yet, most of the time it is dock in the car and runs off that (never really discharges).

Here's one example: my wife has a business and is not tech savvy. She has a Droid but will be changing to the iPhone after purchasing an iPad for her business. Her POS system is Square. She wants the same interface on whichever device she is using. After a year, she still has issues locating stuff on her Android phone. The simplicity of the UI on the iPhone is easier for her. Did I mention that she is not tech savvy?

That is what I am dealing with Bro! I feel your pain. I gave her the iPhone and said here it is... She still asks for help from time to time! :wallbash: :wallbash: My 9 old daughter even helped her out. Apples seem like toys, IMO.

Also... Setting up email on the Droid was a breeze... About a minute and I was running. Configuring her iPhone was a pain in the butt. She uses Outlook on her computer. So I set up the phone on the "other" heading ... No dice... Try and try again.. Still no dice. Then I figure I buy an "Outlook" App at the iRipOffStore... They soak me for $9.99... The app was crap, was set through the web mail and you could barely read things it was so small... Then I decide to try and configure things like I tried from the start... This time, everything works great under the "other" tab (other tabs were Google, Yahoo, etc...). He work mail is a webmail/surge mail thing. For the life of me I can't figure out why it works no and not before? Did the app have something to do with it... She doesn't use that app. Techies, what gives??? Totally mystery what is happenign behind the scenes!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The BB is dead.

Or damn close to it.

Today, however, Research In Motion Ltd. (RIM), the maker of BlackBerry smartphones, is a financial basket case that has come to symbolize just how turbulent life in the modern digital economy can be. On Thursday, RIM announced that it was laying off top execs as revenues continued to plummet and the firm’s stock price hit its lowest mark since 2003. Industry analysts are lowering their projections for the firm and wondering if any corporate suitor—Microsoft is commonly mentioned—might be willing to step in and save the day by taking over the company.

On the iPhone/Droid/BB front... Another thing. I always thought that a user couldn't delete that silly: "Sent from my iPhone" sig. Even the Droid 4 has: "Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID." I know find out that you can simply delete that phrase when composing your missive.

Does BB do something as pretentious? Maybe that is why they are going under! :wallbash:

On the iPhone/Droid/BB front... Another thing. I always thought that a user couldn't delete that silly: "Sent from my iPhone" sig. Even the Droid 4 has: "Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID." I know find out that you can simply delete that phrase when composing your missive.

Does BB do something as pretentious? Maybe that is why they are going under! :wallbash:

You can turn that off on Android in the signature options under the email account settings.