What are your biggest concerns about the Buffalo Bills?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest fear is that we come hot out of the gates winning some big games then get decimated by injuries and finished 6-10, out of the playoffs

My biggest fear is it costs me a ton to get 2 inside the twenties in the lower bowl for a game in September that I can bring my son down from college to see. THAT is my biggest fear. Go bills.

Depth. In order.

QB: If Fitz gets injured, we are screwed.

DL: If any of our starting D-line gets injured, who replaces them? Our starters are great, we need some good backups. Heard looks solid, but we need more. I think we should grab Irving at 10 if he's there.

LB's. Barnett is good, Sheppard looks like he will be good. But we are missing starters and depth here. If Irving is not available, we should grab the best LB available (who will also be the BPA most likely).

Center. Wood is a pro-bowl caliber player, but the injuries every year are worrisome. Need to find depth in the draft.

WR oppossite SJ. This will soon be addressed in the draft, which seems to be deep at this position. I would take a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Ok, I'll answer this legitimately.

First concern -- injuries. This is #1 every year. Players WILL get hurt; the questions are which ones, and how seriously. There's absolutely nothing you can do about this other than to have a competent strength/conditioning program, hope for good luck, and build DEPTH across the roster.

Second concern -- OL depth/competition. I think the starting five (Hairston, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Pears) are at least average and will allow Gailey to do what he wants to do. There's really only one backup (Rinehart) with any decent experience, however. I'd like to see Bell re-signed, and then get at least two guys in the draft to compete at the tackle spots. Jasper is still an unknown.

Third concern -- secondary. Outside of S, where I think the Bills are in good shape, there are significant questions. Williams looks ready to step in at one corner, but after that it's a crap shoot. Does McGee have anything left (and can he get/stay healthy)? Do we really trust Florence or McKelvin? Rogers showed some promise as a rookie, but this has to be addressed in the draft as well.

Fourth concern -- WR. It's my least pressing concern, perhaps because I'm holding out (unfounded) hope either Donald Jones or Marcus Easley become that legitimate #2.

In order:

1. Weak offensive line. Yeah, it performed well--with a lightning-fast-release game. But we need to open up the deep game, and we need depth.

2. Inability to keep playing well throughout a season. We've seen it with Bledsoe--one great half of a season, another bad half. We saw it a few years ago. And we saw it last year.

3. Lack of ability to cover TEs.

4. Lack of depth at LB.

5. Lack of above-average talent at CB.

6. Lack of a second WR.

Not worried about WR--we're getting one in the first or second. We have a slew of talented No. 3s.

I think our average CBs will benefit from our now fearsome D line. Shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully, we can find LB depth in the third and fourth rounds.

We'll continue to struggle against TEs, but the fact we have that new D line should help a lot.

OT--don't believe we can get both depth and talent in the draft. This will likely be our one true weakness next season, as it has for others.

Don't know what will happen with our inconsistency. I'm optimistic, though. :thumbsup:

Edited by JustinAtlanta

These are my two biggest concerns:

Eric Wood healthy enough to play at a high level.

… if Gailey comes out with his 5-wide short-slants thing again all season and fails to adapt to defenses figuring that out, the offense will sputter.

If Gailey truly is an offensive genius, this is the season we will see it.

For everyone worried about our backup QB--

Did Thigpen even play a down last season? I don't think so. I remember the guy playing pretty well in KC when he worked for Gailey.

Also, Brad Smith seemed pretty effective, and fun to watch, when we used him. He just needs to throw the ball a little. :pirate:

First for me is the offense in general.

The defense should be able to hold their own this season.

But if Gailey comes out with his 5-wide short-slants thing again all season and fails to adapt to defenses figuring that out, the offense will sputter.

If Gailey truly is an offensive genius, this is the season we will see it.

I, for one, am not worried at all about our offensive strategy. We relied on these slants because that is the talent we were dealing with. I'll give it to you that sometimes Gailey abandoned the run too early, but I'm pretty high on our O strategy.

For everyone worried about our backup QB--

Did Thigpen even play a down last season? I don't think so. I remember the guy playing pretty well in KC when he worked for Gailey.

Also, Brad Smith seemed pretty effective, and fun to watch, when we used him. He just needs to throw the ball a little. :pirate:

Thigpen playing pretty well? How's 1-11 as a starter "playing pretty well"?

]

My biggest concern is that there doesn't seem to be any "fire in the belly", "Rah Rah" kind of players on the team. When things start to go south on them they don't have anybody going up and down the bench yelling and screaming to fire the team up.

We have a bunch of guys who claim they're leaders but just not "vocal leaders" ... I've seen many many times a drive is stalled, or we have a turn over, or we allow a TD, and the players just walk back to the bench and calmly sit there watching the game waiting their next turn on the field.

I want to see somebody yelling at the O-line to give the QB better protection .... yelling at a reciever to give better effort ... yelling at the D for more pressure ... Yelling at the running back to hit the hole harder ..... SOMETHING!!!!! ANYTHING!!!!

Don't get me wrong I'm not asking for one of those players who is all sizzle and no steak, but I want to see a guy or two or three show some emotion and rally the team.

Big Picture: still have a POS for an owner.

Short Term: hoping that Nix has enough sense not to burn the #10 pick on a high-motor white LB.

Seriously, I don't think there's any place for that crap here. Critiquing management decisions and the ability of players/coaches is one thing. RWS has done more good, for more people, than any of us could imagine. Show some freaking respect; you come off like a complete douchebag.

My biggest concern is that there doesn't seem to be any "fire in the belly", "Rah Rah" kind of players on the team. When things start to go south on them they don't have anybody going up and down the bench yelling and screaming to fire the team up.

We have a bunch of guys who claim they're leaders but just not "vocal leaders" ... I've seen many many times a drive is stalled, or we have a turn over, or we allow a TD, and the players just walk back to the bench and calmly sit there watching the game waiting their next turn on the field.

I want to see somebody yelling at the O-line to give the QB better protection .... yelling at a reciever to give better effort ... yelling at the D for more pressure ... Yelling at the running back to hit the hole harder ..... SOMETHING!!!!! ANYTHING!!!!

Don't get me wrong I'm not asking for one of those players who is all sizzle and no steak, but I want to see a guy or two or three show some emotion and rally the team.

Other than injuries, this is my biggest concern also. They don't seem to have any cocky, nasty, SOB kind of players who play with a bit of a dirty streak. Think Wilfork, JPP, Suggs, etc. Too many nice guys.

Football is a game of emotion. It overcomes talent deficiencies at times, especially in big games. I'm hoping Dareus can partially fill that role, but they need some sandpaper. It's been missing from this team for a long time.

Lets bring some pessimism back to these parts!

Since the Mario signing, and the Anderson signing to a lesser extent, I think it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of us have at least allowed ourselves to imagine grabbing a 6 seed next season, and for one glorious weekend, being part of the NFL playoff conversation. It would definitely be fun, and there's little doubt in my mind it can happen. Hell, I've said it in many threads, and I'll say it again here: New England is old, and on a decline, despite making the super bowl. We could easily WIN the division outright next year, and host a playoff game (or 2?) at the Ralph.

But let's look deeper than that. What are you worried about with this club? And please - take the "They're going to move to LA" talk to another thread. Theyre not moving.

Personally, my biggest concern is at quarterback.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is amazing - my favorite player on the team by far, and the first professional athlete since John Starks of the 1998 New York Knicks that I can 100% root for and feel like he's not just doing it because "it's his job." He's a great underdog story, a good interview, seems like a funny guy, and the story that after home games he goes back to his house with his wife and grills with his neighbors is awesome, and shows why buffalo is the most bad ass team in the NFL.

But. In the back of my mind, im fairly certain that he is not a quarterback that can win a super bowl for this team. As hard as it is to admit, when you look at the list of super bowl winning quarterbacks in the league right now (the Mannings, Brady, Rothlisberger, Breese, et. al) Fitzpatricks name doesnt belong up there by a long shot.

With that being said, what really worries me is this: We have acquired the talent now to not be a perpetual 6-10, 7-9 team - but rather the perpetual 10-6, 11-5 team. The one that loses in heart breaking fashion in the divisional round, or maybe the conference finals if we have a lights out defense and amazing drafts the next 2 years. We won't be drafting in the top 3 for a LONG time. Essentially, we have absolutely no way to ever aquire an elite QB to go with this defense.

So my biggest concern - we are now the San Diego Chargers East. The team that looks great every offseason, but just can never. get. over. the. hump.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You got that right. Without a franchise quarterback the Bills may make the playoffs some day, but they will NEVER make it to the SHOW! The Bills blew their chance to start building a championship team by winning 6 games last season. That knocked them out of the Andrew Luck sweepstakes., Buffalo's only chance to get a FRANCHISE quarterback who could have eventually led them to the promise land.

Oh well, they don't call Buffalo the "city of good losers" for nothing. Ralph's goal, put an 8 and 8 team out there and fill the stands. 8 and 8, or 9 and 7 and to Buffalo fans that's like winning the Super Bowl. SAD, isn't it. You have to feel pity for those people up there in the frozen tundra. They say the wind in Buffalo doesn't blow, it sucks!

Last season the D gave up 4.8 yards per rush. Pass-rushing DEs probably aren't the solution, but hopefully a healthy Kyle Williams will help.

-------------------------------------------

I think the fact they don't have even one decent linebacker on the team is another reason they can't stop the run. The Bills have the worst set of linebackers in the NFL.

Expecting more from this team this season than they can realistically give us, especially if we have lots of injuries again. Our depth is getting better, but we are honestly one more off season away from being where I would like us to be.

Defensive injuries should realistically go down. The longer a player is on the field and more tired they are the greater the chance for injury. with our D we should be able to get off the field and decrease the amount of plays those players are exposed to.

I am concerned about our offense. We need a legit WR opposite SJ and we need LT depth. Injuries to SJ or to our LT will be very difficult to overcome, more so than any defensive injury. Obviously if Fitz goes down, we will look like the Colts...

It has all been mentioned in this post:

1.) We need an LT, I expect a project that won't start coming into his own until next season.

2.) A starting WR opposite Stevie (no #1 or #2 - doesn't make a difference like it used to). IMO Floyd is a great option, has the college productivity and I think could start day 1.

3.) CB - Don't know what McGee has left (and if he can stay healthy) and aside from Williams (who I think will be great), we don't have much. Florence will look much better, as he did when he was an FA and we all wanted him back. McKelvin is ugh...he is what he is...I originally liked Gilmore for rd#2, but over the last week or 2 he is rocketing up into Rd 1 and is being rated above Kirkpatrick. I still like Kirkpatrick though. He isn't great at man-to-man, but we won't be in that coverage much. He projects to a Safety as well. Nix/Gailey love the jack of all trade players...grabbing a CB this year to learn on the job helps fill a hole for next season and later this year. I don't know what later rounds CBs are out there that will fit our needs...

4.) LB depth - Read Sheppard's scouting report - the kid is not a pass rusher, but is a run stopping force. I expect big things from him this year. Gailey said it the best about Barnett, if we won a few more games he should have been a pro bowler - his numbers were that good compared to the ones that made it. Morrison was very productive before he came here. When we go into Nickle or Dime (50% of the time), Bryan Scott gets on the field, I would like to find another player similar to him in this draft. Would also like to find another player who has speed to go sideline to side line and is a sure tackler who follows the tackle all the way through.

5.) backup/starting QB: We could use a backup QB, but honestly I think late round QB picks are worthless. You can always find a backup in FA. You are more likely to find a hidden gem in any other position in the later rounds, than a QB. I don't get the let's draft a QB in round 5 and build around him...Tom Brady's don't happen often enough, but Kyle Williams type players do. In the later rounds you get Fitz type players or Levi Brown's - there are always plenty of them available as an FA...

Whether you like it or not Fitz is our QB, to start over with a rookie sets us back at least 3 seasons...is not what Gailey and Nix are building this team for. That being said in the next 3 years or so, once depth and holes have been adequately filled in the draft and FA, I would expect us to make a play in the first round to grab a Aaron Rodgers player (mid-first rounder) to ride the pine for a couple seasons under Fitz.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You got that right. Without a franchise quarterback the Bills may make the playoffs some day, but they will NEVER make it to the SHOW! The Bills blew their chance to start building a championship team by winning 6 games last season. That knocked them out of the Andrew Luck sweepstakes., Buffalo's only chance to get a FRANCHISE quarterback who could have eventually led them to the promise land.

Oh well, they don't call Buffalo the "city of good losers" for nothing. Ralph's goal, put an 8 and 8 team out there and fill the stands. 8 and 8, or 9 and 7 and to Buffalo fans that's like winning the Super Bowl. SAD, isn't it. You have to feel pity for those people up there in the frozen tundra. They say the wind in Buffalo doesn't blow, it sucks!

-------------------------------------------

I think the fact they don't have even one decent linebacker on the team is another reason they can't stop the run. The Bills have the worst set of linebackers in the NFL.

Well, the Bills linebackers aren't all world. The draft is coming. Here's a fun fact. The Super Bowl Champs NY Giants some say had the worst linebacking corp in the NFL last year. How did that work out for them?