Son moving to Cleveland

Cynical

I come to my fellow Bills fans looking for help.

My son has accepted a job in Cleveland, OH, and is now looking for a place to live.

He will be working at the airport, and will need access to public transportation.

I would appreciate any ideas on where to look for apartments and possible things to do.

Edited by Cynical

I come to my fellow Bills fans looking for help.

My son has accepted a job in Cleveland, OH, and is now looking for a place to live.

He will be working at the airport, and will need access to public transportation.

I would appreciate any ideas on where to look for apartments and possible things to do.

Is he single/family? Age?

What are his interests/hobbies?

Will he have a car at all or totally public transp. dependent?

I don't like to give a lot of advice on things of this nature because so many people have different tastes. I will say to let him try to take his time and soak in the city (or lack there of). There are many different areas of the city that are not so nice and some that are very nice.

My apologies for responding so late...

Is he single/family? Age?

24, married w/ children. Wife and kids will not be going with him. They will be staying here.

What are his interests/hobbies?

Fishing, hiking, walking, etc ...

Not a big drinker.

Looking for ideas as time killers, as he does not how much down time he will have.

As for days off, he plans on flying back here to spend time with the wife and kids, then fly back up to go work.

(He will be working for an airline = discount tickets prices)

He will be working the night shift, 4 days a week.

Will he have a car at all or totally public transp. dependent?

Public trans and a pedal bike (at least for now, to see how it goes). No vehicle.

Housing: Studio/Eff, one bedroom Apt. "Someplace where I do not have to worry about getting stabbed or shot."

His intent is to work in Cleveland until he can get transferred either to Atlanta or Chattanooga. How long that will take is anybody's guess.

He could try craigslist for people that are looking for roommates.That is hoy my son and his one roommate found a third person for the house they are renting.

No roommates. He made that absolutely clear. He doesn't want to have to worry about any potential BS.

We discussed renting a room for a short while, but he wasn't interested in that either.

I don't like to give a lot of advice on things of this nature because so many people have different tastes. I will say to let him try to take his time and soak in the city (or lack there of). There are many different areas of the city that are not so nice and some that are very nice.

I wish he would take his time. IMHO, he's pushing it. He wants everything settled by the time he starts work (which could be as early as mid April).

Will you be going up to help him move in?

Nope. My role is advice and support.

Ok,

I'll try and keep it simple. Keep in mind I have lived on the far n. eastern side of town for about 8 years so living info may be a bit dated.

lets start with the google map for Cleveland, OH:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&cp=12&gs_id=z&xhr=t&rlz=1R2GPMA_en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=913&wrapid=tljp1333045283475022&q=cleveland+ohio&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8830ef2ee3686b2d:0xed04cb55f7621842,Cleveland,+OH&gl=us&ei=Jqh0T-PoCqP40gHesImAAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCsQ8gEwAA

You can see the city limits outlined in pink. With the exception of downtown and a few small areas, you do NOT want to live within the city limits. Most of the firing line neighborhoods are east of I-77 but the western ones are still fairly poor for the most part.

Next 2 important links:

http://www.riderta.com/

http://www.clemetparks.com/

Good luck interpreting the bus schedule. They do have a rail line that runs from downtown to the airport (red line) so he could live downtown if he wants. Downtown living seems decent except there's not a lot of grocery stores unless you go to the West side Market @ W. 25th and Lorain. My wife and I feel safe going/walking downtown.

Places to live:

1. Berea is a bit crowded but still has a remnant small town feel with Baldwin Wallace College located there. Near the Metroparks, airport is very close. Definitely some high rises there, not sure on pricing. Lots of chain restaurants near there, don't know the area well enough. It gets even more crowded when the Browns open training camp there. Cuyahoga County fairgrounds right there also.

2. Lakewood is a very affordable dense suburb with a lot of things to do. There are a lot of niche stores, performing arts, concerts etc. There are some high rises but a lot of the rentals are duplexes from the '40's and '50's. They are generally well maintained/updated but a few are not. Overall it has the feel of an old time quaint city neighborhood. My wife and I lived there for a short time and enjoyed it. There's a mix of owners and renters, families, single young professionals, but some economically disadvantaged people too. Lots of bars, restaurants. Bars have a history of serving decent food and it's easy to go in alone, get a decent reasonably priced dinner and hang out. Rocky river is nicer than lakewood but with less rental opportunities.

Two negatives about Lakewood. -train tracks run between Clifton and Detroit. After we left they supposedly rerouted as much as possible south through Brookpark, but in my time there was always a train coming through between 2-4 am. I'd recommend living south of Detroit Rd.

-Eastern Lakewood was a bit crappier. When we lived there the rule of thumb was to live west of Bunts/W. 140. Now I'd focus west of Warren.

Near Berea, Strongsville, Middleburg Heights, Broadview Heights, N. Royalton are all nice, but mostly generic. Strongsville has a nice mall and I think would be the best of the bunch for things going on.

Westlake is a popular area to rent(with a nice outdoor mall), North Olmstead/Olmstead Falls is also. Not sure about affordability and ease of public transport though.

Brookpark and Parma I do not prefer. Brookpark is very industrial with lots of strip clubs, Parma is crammed full of small houses from the 60's with a large subpopulation of people that never left the 1980's. Parma Heights is somewhat better, they especially hate being associated with Parma.

Outdoor things to do:

Edgewater park is within biking of Lakewood, beach and fishing pier. There's also Whiskey Island (Wendy Park) right there where people hang out in the summer . Another fishing pier out in Rocky river, they charge a couple bucks access though. Not much for inland lakes around Cleveland, it's either Erie or one of the rivers. Rocky River metropark ends in Lakewood and steelhead fishing is very good except for the summer. Nice long paved trail there but only small side trails. Cuyahoga Valley Nat'l Park is best bet for hiking but Cleveland parks are designed for nice walks, not proper hiking.

The zoo is also nearby, there's a science center, aquarium(not worth it), Rock and Roll hall of fame, museums, comedy clubs, orchestra, Indians/Browns/Cavs games, monthly local artist shows. Good restaurants too.

Well, this is getting longer than I wanted. To me, Lakewood is probably best bet if you don't have a car but that's just me. Let me know or PM me if you have more specific questions.