U.S. pays $50,000 to families

Would like to know what you think about this. One of the Sunday talk shows mentioned it this weekend and I figured there would be an interesting response about it on this forum:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/25/afghan-official-us-paid-50000-to-each-victim-shooting-sprees-family/

Edited by Juror#8

Would like to know what you think about this. One of the Sunday talk shows mentioned it this weekend and I figured there would be an interesting response about it on this forum:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/25/afghan-official-us-paid-50000-to-each-victim-shooting-sprees-family/

better than what the Australians pay

AFGHANS whose families have been killed or injured by Australian troops, or who have had their crops and properties damaged, are receiving an average compensation payment of less than $60 each from the Australian government.

A total of 1474 Afghan civilians compensated by the Australian government from late 2009 to January this year have shared a sum of $84,836, an internal Defence Department briefing shows.

While compensation amounts vary and include many minor property damage payments, it means the average figure for each recipient is receiving the equivalent of a tank of petrol in Australian prices. The department refuses to release a breakdown of the payments, for fear of creating a market for compensation seekers in Afghanistan.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/afghan-deaths-compensated-less-than-60-20120317-1vc4s.html#ixzz1qFgXMRSm

My first thought was "What kind of misguided policy is it that someone thought a payoff would accomplish anything?"

My SECOND thought was "Well, that's a good bit of funding going to terrorism..."

I mean...I don't have any complaint with the idea of making amends or even reparations with the people. But it's so typically American to reduce that to "throw money at it," which usually leads in a few years to wondering "Why didn't it work?" Or ever better: "We gave that guy $50k, and the unappreciative bastard turned around and attacked us!"

how did they arrive at the 50K figure? What model did they use? I am sure for the Afghan Civilian, 50K is alot of money.... does that make them targets now?.... if that country is that f'ed up, what do those people use that money for?

I am sure a 50K payment will make it all better......

My first thought was "What kind of misguided policy is it that someone thought a payoff would accomplish anything?"

My SECOND thought was "Well, that's a good bit of funding going to terrorism..."

I mean...I don't have any complaint with the idea of making amends or even reparations with the people. But it's so typically American to reduce that to "throw money at it," which usually leads in a few years to wondering "Why didn't it work?" Or ever better: "We gave that guy $50k, and the unappreciative bastard turned around and attacked us!"

Your second thought was my first thought.

IIRC, the typical Afghani (man, I presume) makes ~$300 a year.

how did they arrive at the 50K figure? What model did they use? I am sure for the Afghan Civilian, 50K is alot of money.... does that make them targets now?.... if that country is that f'ed up, what do those people use that money for?

I am sure a 50K payment will make it all better......

I heard we opened up an eTrade account for each of them.

Sweet-

First ETF I would buy, Afghanny Growth and Emerging Markets Fund.....

Yeah, it's risky..... but the return could be handsome.

:beer:

That's fine if you're young and can invest aggressively. But the more senior goat-herder requires a more stable income-producing investment, like the Afghan Poppy, Opium, and Heroin Fund.

That's fine if you're young and can invest aggressively. But the more senior goat-herder requires a more stable income-producing investment, like the Afghan Poppy, Opium, and Heroin Fund.

and there just isn't a more stable place to plop down the war chest of a honest herder than in the Afghanny Opium Markets.... very stable

and there just isn't a more stable place to plop down the war chest of a honest herder than in the Afghanny Opium Markets.... very stable

Great dividend ratio, too, with that profit margin. Only better margins are in "postwar reconstruction".