RIP Ron Erhardt

l< j

He died last week at the age of 80. From Peter King:

Now the Giants had to figure some way to stop the Buffalo offensive avalanche. When Bill Parcells got on the team bus at Candlestick Park after the game, he saw Erhardt and said three words: "Shorten the game.''

Marv and Co. were severely out-coached in that game.

kj

Why, because our defense couldn't stop the Giants running game?

No, because the coaches did not demand Kelly that he give the ball to Thurman everytime he saw NJ line up in 2-down linemen sets...

No, because the coaches did not demand Kelly that he give the ball to Thurman everytime he saw NJ line up in 2-down linemen sets...

In 19 minutes of possession the Bills had 371 yards and 19 points. Yes, they should have run more but a couple of stops by the D and....

Exactly. Thurman would have had 300 yards in that game if we did that. If NY adjusted to stop that, Kelly would have killed them in the air. We got outcoached plain and simple.

Great now I am all worked up.

Exactly. Thurman would have had 300 yards in that game if we did that. If NY adjusted to stop that, Kelly would have killed them in the air. We got outcoached plain and simple.

Great now I am all worked up.

At the same time, had the Bills not shot themselves in the foot (via proper play execution) on 5-6 different occasions, they probably roll to a 40-10 win. Make no mistake, the better team did NOT win that game.

Edited by Ramius

He died last week at the age of 80. From Peter King:

Marv and Co. were severely out-coached in that game.

kj

he was a good old school OC...called too many trick plays when he went to Pitt instead of keeping it simple though

been said a million times but the Giants were daring the Bills to run the ball which they should have done until the Giants stopped them

I know they only had ball for 19 mins but Thurman who was clearly the best player on the field that day should have had more then 15 carries

the tackling was awful

sad part is if the 9ers beat the Giants the Bills prob win that Super Bowl...then again they should have beat the Giants

ugh, the memories

Edited by Max997

At the same time, had the Bills not shot themselves in the foot (via proper play execution) on 5-6 different occasions, they probably roll to a 40-10 win. Make no mistake, the better team did NOT win that game.

Agreed, we were a team of all-Pros and Hall of Famers in the making and they were a good team, but not stand team out by any means. If you ranked all the teams that have won a Super Bowl, they would not be very high on the list. They over achieved that one day and we played sub-par at best (think of Andre's drop over the middle when he was wide open after the safety). Even with them playing the best possible game they could have played it was still in doubt to the very end with them all on their knees praying for divine intervention to make the ball go wide right.

If a certain someone didn't miss their field goal attempt would the Giants coaching staff look so f#####g smart over 20 years later? I don't think so. 40 minutes of possession and a loss would have changed a lot of perceptions about the Giants at the time.

Asking a guy to make a FG he's never made is a lot. Asking a guy to make a routine tackle is not.

As if I needed a reminder as to why I hate kickers...I hate when I open up a thread and the first SB is being discussed...now I won't be able to sleep :censored:

It also still KILLS me that we lost to the damn back-up QB...not that it would feel any less painful if Simms had played, but there's just no reason we should have lost to that team.

It also still KILLS me that we lost to the damn back-up QB...not that it would feel any less painful if Simms had played, but there's just no reason we should have lost to that team.

especially when we beat them a few weeks earlier on their home turf with Simms at the helm...think it was their first loss of the season

Should have checked relentless first...this was the game that Simms got hurt in. Kelly and Wolford also were hurt in the second quarter on the same play, Reich finished the game. Giants were 11-2 at the time, not undefeated

Edited by Steve O

especially when we beat them a few weeks earlier on their home turf with Simms at the helm...think it was their first loss of the season

good point...I often forget that