Mad Men ...season five

Buftex

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was LOLg at that line! And, then after it was over, he says "I don't know about you two, but I had Lane."

Spot on review, HopsGuy. That episode was one of the best episodes I've seen of TV since NYPD went off the air. Those used to end and I'd Wow and I did it this time again.

That's how I used to feel at the end of "NYPD Blue". "This is such a good show." Back then, there wasn't much to challenge it. It was so different. I'm glad they toned down the over-shaking of the camera from the first season. You see those first few episodes and David Caruso was an orange blur. Brooklyn South was also pretty good, but I think, like "The Killing", I was the only one watching it.

I did catch that and my first thought was R. Lee Ermey in "Full Metal Jacket" asking the trainees, "Does anyone know who Charles Whitman is? None of you dumba$$es knows."

Yeah, I LOVE the historical references (and the way Don corrected it to Whitman!)

I work at the University Of Texas...Charles Whitman is a big part of the culture here...my old boss, on a bad day, would say things like (jokingly- of course!) ... "these bitches are asking for a Whitman sampler today"! :lol: I miss that big queen sometimes!

FWIW- after the episode the week before, where they referenced the Richard Speck murders, I found out one of my very best friends was (is?) a cousin to one of the ladies killed...I don't know how that never came up before...I have known him for almost 20 years.

Edited by Buftex

That's how I used to feel at the end of "NYPD Blue". "This is such a good show." Back then, there wasn't much to challenge it. It was so different. I'm glad they toned down the over-shaking of the camera from the first season. You see those first few episodes and David Caruso was an orange blur. Brooklyn South was also pretty good, but I think, like "The Killing", I was the only one watching it.

I did catch that and my first thought was R. Lee Ermey in "Full Metal Jacket" asking the trainees, "Does anyone know who Charles Whitman is? None of you dumba$$es knows."

Blue was such a great show. I watched it all the way to the end, never missing an episode. People would ask me "Is that still on?"

I thought about Full Metal Jacket, too!

I work at the University Of Texas...Charles Whitman is a big part of the culture here...my old boss, on a bad day, would say things like (jokingly- of course!) ... "these bitches are asking for a Whitman sampler today"! :lol: I miss that big queen sometimes!

FWIW- after the episode the week before, where they referenced the Richard Speck murders, I found out one of my very best friends was (is?) a cousin to one of the ladies killed...I don't know how that never came up before...I have known him for almost 20 years.

Wow - that is crazy. Have you talked to him about it yet?

Wow - that is crazy. Have you talked to him about it yet?

His wife mentioned it to me on the phone the other day...we were discussing "Mad Men" from that week (we are all big fans). I guess he didn't really know her, and, in fact, since I posted this, he told me the girl murdered, was actually his mothers cousin, so I guess that makes her his second cousin? Just odd, all the hours we have spent bullshitting over the years about everything under the sun, it just never came up. Life is full of surprises...sometimes ****ty ones! :P

Twice removed now.

Too soon?

I love gallows humor! My family has survived on it for generations! Probably won't share it with my buddy, though I am sure he would get a chuckle out of it too! :P

His wife mentioned it to me on the phone the other day...we were discussing "Mad Men" from that week (we are all big fans). I guess he didn't really know her, and, in fact, since I posted this, he told me the girl murdered, was actually his mothers cousin, so I guess that makes her his second cousin? Just odd, all the hours we have spent bullshitting over the years about everything under the sun, it just never came up. Life is full of surprises...sometimes ****ty ones! :P

So he could have married her if this was the Downton Abbey thread.

So, I suspect that last night's episode is going to be one that people have mixed feelings about... experimental storytelling...I liked it... Roger on acid, Peggy's ****ty day, and Don and Megans' marriage woes... I think this show is headed into some very dark places.

I was wondering last week, if the guy falling out of the window at during the opneing scene was going to end up being Pete (so proud of his new office with the window), Layne... but you realize, nobody on this show is very happy...unless they are on acid!

Certainly a dark show. The nice thing about going five years on these is they can really do in depth work with the characters. Don keeps his crap up he's liable to find her fooling around (with someone else at work? Ginsburg?). This is interesting but I'm feeling a little guilty as if I'm watching a soap opera.

So, I suspect that last night's episode is going to be one that people have mixed feelings about... experimental storytelling...I liked it... Roger on acid, Peggy's ****ty day, and Don and Megans' marriage woes... I think this show is headed into some very dark places.

I was wondering last week, if the guy falling out of the window at during the opneing scene was going to end up being Pete (so proud of his new office with the window), Layne... but you realize, nobody on this show is very happy...unless they are on acid!

thought it was a great episode...just not sure which characters i actually like any more, though. lots i feel sorry for, not many i like. the lsd scene was very entertaining. pretty far fetched that a shrink and her patient were together but it is nyc. guess it might happen. the howard johnson's scenes reminded me a of a high school new years eve party where we rented a room at the one in niagara falls. made it til about 3 am before the cops kicked about 30 people out of the room. amazing nobody was arrested or fined. ah, to be young again...i pulled that now, i'd be in jail.

thought it was a great episode...just not sure which characters i actually like any more, though. lots i feel sorry for, not many i like. the lsd scene was very entertaining. pretty far fetched that a shrink and her patient were together but it is nyc. guess it might happen. the howard johnson's scenes reminded me a of a high school new years eve party where we rented a room at the one in niagara falls. made it til about 3 am before the cops kicked about 30 people out of the room. amazing nobody was arrested or fined. ah, to be young again...i pulled that now, i'd be in jail.

That's a great way to put it. I still like Peggy. She's trying to find her way as a woman in a man's world, but the decision-makers are still older men and they're not really ready for a strong woman to dictate to them. The Heinz beans guys weren't getting the nostalgia pitch she was making the way Don had done on at least more than one occasion (the Carousel and when he was selling the American Cancer Society on the fact that young people are already lamenting the death of their youth).

I liked the episode quite a bit. Ginsburg's back-story is quite compelling. Remember the 2nd episode of the series had Roger asking Don, "Do we have any Jews working here?" and Don replied, "Not on my watch." 6 years later Roger married a Jewish girl (Poor Jane), Peggy is dating Abe - both of those relationships appear over, and Ginsburg looks to be quite a talent. The underlying theme of how these folks deal with a rapidly changing world is quite a story.

I probably have to watch this again. It was nice to see Bert Cooper assert himself a bit when he told Don that he needed to get his head back in the game. It's been a while since we've seen Bert doing anything to move the business along.

Or that Sally Draper would walk in on it...........That was such a devastating ending - with everybody at the table wondering who they are and what is becoming of their lives.

Or that Sally Draper would walk in on it...........That was such a devastating ending - with everybody at the table wondering who they are and what is becoming of their lives.

Yeah...what was mostly a romp, turned into a downer of an evening for everyone...except Roger!

It was a small scene, but I loved the conversation between Pete and Megan's father...

Jeez...Matt Weiners kid doesn't get any less creepy with age, huh?

Edited by Buftex